rp-pppoe3.4-7 messup with rp-pppoe3.5-1

Post by Bosc » Mon, 23 Dec 2002 21:02:14

Hi all,

I have installed RH8.0 and configured rp-pppoe properly and everything
runs OK.

Since I realized that 3.4.7 is quite different from the one that I am
using in RH7,2 in terms of; it doesn't /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf, it creates
a file call ifcfg-ppp0 in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ and also,
since during adsl-setup, it already ask if you want it to activate in
startup, I can't configure it in ntsysv anymore.

From the about things, I feel curious about the latest version 3.5-1
and then I download the RPM and installed. And what I found is that it
runs in the way back in RH7.2, which means, it creates the pppoe.conf
file (which is useless, because RH8 still reads ifcfg-ppp0 in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/). And it doesn't create the entry in
ntsysv. So everything configured in 3.5-1 was useless ! And it brings
a more serious question. I don't know why from now on, when I boot up
my linux server, even though it connects the internet already, but my
NAT clients cannot go to the internet........... I run ifconfig -a, it
shows up ppp0's information and I tried to ping the internet address,
it works ! Does it mean that the masquerading fails ??? But wait a
sec, after I stop the adsl and runs it again, my clients starts to
connect............. what do you think ???

Please give some advice. Thanks.

1. RH8.0 bundled rp-pppoe (rp-pppoe-3.4-7) problem, please help.

Hello,

I have a problem in RH8.0 bundled rp-pppoe (rp-pppoe-3.4-7), please
help.

I am setting up linux server as NAT, which share t he internet
connection to the client PCs at home. I was using RH7.2 before and
there is no problem at all. My problem in RH8.0 is that: I setup
rp-pppoe (ifup ppp0) to run at startup of the machine. Basically, it
starts up without any problem at all. But, it never runs
/etc/ppp/ip-up. Which means that the ip masquerading process didn't
bring up at all. What I have to is to ssh to the server everytime
after the server boots up and run /etc/ppp/ip-up manually, before my
clients can use the internet connect. I realized that the
configurations files are quite different from the one that I was using
in 7.2, e.g it doesn't use /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf anymore, instated it
put all the information in
/etc/ppp/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0.

Anybody can give me some suggestions ?
Thanks
Bosco

2. Interesting way of shielding against SATAN...

3. rp-pppoe-2.5-1 connect ok but fail to ping internet host

4. Returning only the name of a file that contains a pattern?

5. debian/pppoe3.2/ping troubles

6. IP masquerading message

7. Need explanation of LCP_INTERVAL and computing PPPOE_TIMEOUT w/ RP-PPPoE

8. Appointment: UNIX server administrator, London

9. Getting pmfirewall,rp-pppoe and squid to work together

10. ppp >= 2.3.7 is needed by rp-pppoe-3.4-1

11. SONY CRX160E-RP and LINUX

12. rp-pppoe

13. RP PPPoE Problem