Fonts in Console

Post by root » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello everyone.. First time on newsgroups.. so bear with me..
I am running RedHat 6.0 upgraded from RedHat 5.1.  My *X script I am
using doesnt like the font I was originaly using.. I have found a font
and character set that works for me right now.. but it requires a lot of
work to get it working and I dont know why.. I also cant get it to work
from boot.. I have to manualy set it which is a pain.. how would I go
about making my changes stay .. with the font and characterset I am
using.. ??
thanx in advance..

Fonts in Console

Post by James Le » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

: Hello everyone.. First time on newsgroups.. so bear with me..
: I am running RedHat 6.0 upgraded from RedHat 5.1.  My *X script I am
: using doesnt like the font I was originaly using.. I have found a font
: and character set that works for me right now.. but it requires a lot of
: work to get it working and I dont know why.. I also cant get it to work
: from boot.. I have to manualy set it which is a pain.. how would I go
: about making my changes stay .. with the font and characterset I am

add vga=ask in your boot parameters. During bootup, it will show all
the ones that are available. Choose the one that you are most
comfortable with and the changed that vga=xx, where xx is the number
as given in the list. My RH comes with default vga=3, which I now
change to vga=5. It can also probe and see what other capabilities
your monitor can handble.

Fonts in Console

Post by Craig Halverso » Sun, 16 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hello everyone.. First time on newsgroups.. so bear with me..
> I am running RedHat 6.0 upgraded from RedHat 5.1.  My *X script I am
> using doesnt like the font I was originaly using.. I have found a font
> and character set that works for me right now.. but it requires a lot of
> work to get it working and I dont know why.. I also cant get it to work
> from boot.. I have to manualy set it which is a pain.. how would I go
> about making my changes stay .. with the font and characterset I am
> using.. ??
> thanx in advance..

Well I searched and searched.. and I have fixed my own problem.. I am using
SVGATextMode to change my video mode and font at boot up.. this seems to

definatly keep that in mind on any future install's and setups.. :)

1. keyboard/console fonts vs. X-fonts

i have a problem with using a hi-res display for the Dos console or the
linux console.

in part, i think, it is due to the frequency of the dot clock and/or the
ram speed on the video board.

what i want to do is use a larger font.  this would change the memory
timing (my problem is char morphing).

the QUESTION:  what fonts can i use and where do i find them?  i have
many fonts, but all of them are either windows3.1 or X-fonts.

can i use X-fonts for the dos console font?  if no, where can i find
more dos fonts?  an old dos app, like lotus or word perfect?

thanks,

loren

2. xfree86

3. console fonts vs. console characters?

4. g77, Linux, and f2c shared libs

5. converting pcf font to console font

6. frustrating ftp problem !

7. FONTS FONTS AND MORE FONTS

8. Exceed macro

9. FONTS FONTS FONTS... LOTS OF THEM!!!!!!!

10. Change console font-family in RedHat 6.0

11. Console fonts looking 'dirty' after X crashes

12. IBM graphics console font wanted

13. loadlin and console font