Redhat upgrades, 5.0 - 5.1

Post by Dan Bradle » Sat, 25 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I'm new to Linux, and Redhat 5.0 is my first installation. When 5.1 was
released, I was interested in upgrading. The documents on Redhat's Web site
say that Redhat offers easy upgrade from one version to the next without
wiping the drive and reinstalling, all via their package system I believe.

What is omitted from their site however, is any instructions on how to do
this. I've looked around a lot and found nothing. I know how to install
packages with rpm, but is there a scheme for doing a 'full' upgrade without
tracking down hundreds of individual packages?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Dan Bradley

Redhat upgrades, 5.0 - 5.1

Post by E. Frank Ba » Sun, 26 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:} I'm new to Linux, and Redhat 5.0 is my first installation. When 5.1 was
} released, I was interested in upgrading. The documents on Redhat's Web site
} say that Redhat offers easy upgrade from one version to the next without
} wiping the drive and reinstalling, all via their package system I believe.
} What is omitted from their site however, is any instructions on how to do
} this. I've looked around a lot and found nothing. I know how to install
} packages with rpm, but is there a scheme for doing a 'full' upgrade without
} tracking down hundreds of individual packages?

Goto www.cheapbytes.com.  Order their Redhat 5.1 CD.  $2 + $5 shipping.
They just released a new version with the updates to fix the many
serious bugs with Redhat 5.1.

--

Redhat upgrades, 5.0 - 5.1

Post by Tom Easte » Sun, 26 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I'm new to Linux, and Redhat 5.0 is my first installation. When 5.1 was
> released, I was interested in upgrading. The documents on Redhat's Web site
> say that Redhat offers easy upgrade from one version to the next without
> wiping the drive and reinstalling, all via their package system I believe.

> What is omitted from their site however, is any instructions on how to do
> this. I've looked around a lot and found nothing. I know how to install
> packages with rpm, but is there a scheme for doing a 'full' upgrade without
> tracking down hundreds of individual packages?

> Thanks for any info you can provide.

> Dan Bradley

Start the 5.1 install just like you did with 5.0 -- you'll be prompted for
"install" or "upgrade".

--
Tom Eastep
Tandem Computers, a COMPAQ company

Redhat upgrades, 5.0 - 5.1

Post by Henrik Storn » Sun, 26 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm new to Linux, and Redhat 5.0 is my first installation. When 5.1 was
>released, I was interested in upgrading. The documents on Redhat's Web site
>say that Redhat offers easy upgrade from one version to the next without
>wiping the drive and reinstalling, all via their package system I believe.
>What is omitted from their site however, is any instructions on how to do
>this. I've looked around a lot and found nothing.

Get the RedHat 5.1 CD (or download it all from the net), boot from the
5.1 boot-floppy, and select "Upgrade" instead of "Install".

--
Henrik Storner  |  "testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good,
                |   if it boots up it is perfect."
                |                                    Linus Torvalds

1. upgrade from Redhat Linux 5.0 to redhat linux 5.1

Upgrading our linux system from redhat 5.0 to redhat 5.1 using ftp,  the
upgrade menu asked for a lan card driver.
our 3com cardbus 3C575-J-TX is not reference in the lan card driver
list. do you have any suggestion to fix this problem.

Thank you.

Frederic

2. Inability to boot

3. upgrade from Redhat 5.0 to Redhat 5.1

4. SPARCserver 20 - terminal as console?

5. RedHat 5.0 -> 5.1 upgrade problems

6. Alias and Unix

7. upgrade redhat 5.0 -> 5.1

8. <asm/bitops.h>: __inline__ needed where inline found

9. Upgrading RedHat 5.0 to 5.1 ??

10. How to upgrade from ReHat 5.0 to RedHat 5.1 ??

11. Redhat 5.0 to 5.1 upgrade loses a cdrom drive

12. upgrade from redhat 5.0 to 5.1

13. Upgrading RedHat 5.0 to 5.1