NFS - takes 2 attempts to write file!

Post by System Super-Us » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I am trying to copy files from a DOS machine to an MO disk connected
to a Linux machine via NFS. Unfortunately it seems to take two
attempts for it to work. The first time, it just creates a directory
entry for the first file - file size is then 0 bytes. I then get an
"access denied" error message, and then the copying ceases. The second
time, it stores the first file correctly. and bombs out the same way
writing the second file. Has anyone got any idea how to solve this
annoying problem?

Hardware: Future Domain TMC-840 SCSI card connected to Panasonic MO
          drive - 1Gb R/W disk - DOS formatted.

Software: Linux kernel 1.2.10 with Seagate ST01/02 driver, IRQ 5, at
          address 0xCA000. DOS machine running XFS 1.76, with an
          RMFTPAT/2 ethernet card/packet driver.

mount reports that the MO disk is mounted as:

/dev/sda on /optical type msdos (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,umask=000)

From within Linux, it works fine...

Thanks for any advice,

Chris.

Post by Philippe Tro » Sat, 05 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: I am trying to copy files from a DOS machine to an MO disk connected
: to a Linux machine via NFS. Unfortunately it seems to take two
: attempts for it to work. The first time, it just creates a directory
: entry for the first file - file size is then 0 bytes. I then get an
: "access denied" error message, and then the copying ceases. The second
: time, it stores the first file correctly. and bombs out the same way
: writing the second file. Has anyone got any idea how to solve this
: annoying problem?

Could you give us a script of what you type...
I suspect tou're being misled by NFS caching...

Phil.
Philippe Troin            Ingenieur en Architecture des Ordinateurs (ERG/IMAG)

LEGAL NOTICE: The license to ditribute this message through Microsoft Network
        is US$500 (FF2500). Posting this message through Microsoft Network
        constitutes an agreement to these terms. Copyright 1995 Philippe Troin

1. ksh hangs attempting to lock history file on NFS mounted file system

We have a bunch of Unixware users, mostly running 1.1.4, who are having
this problem (ksh hangs, investigation shows it is in the process of
trying to lock the history file)

I have offered them this workaround:

There is a ksh bug that causes ksh to hang when a user has multiple shell
processes trying to share a history file in a NFS mounted directory, e.g.
the user's home  directory.

Recommended fix: use this line in .profile:

    HISTFILE=/tmp/.history.$$; export HISTFILE

This causes a different history file to be created for each process.

I use this myself all the time and have never experienced the problem.
I prefer to have a separate history for each process, but some of our
users here really like to have one big history file shared by all
processes.

Is there a Unixware 1.1 patch for this?

--

Computing and Telecommunications Services       Unix System Administration Team
http://info.dr.att.com/~ambient/home.html       303-538-4821

Internet User #19075 of the Citizens Internet Empowerment Coalition
See http://www.cdt.org/ciec.

2. Solved:Boot/Root disk problems

3. How do I debug NFS write error on host ABC: Stale NFS file handle?

4. ZSH: tailpipe problem

5. writing to mirrored lv takes twice the time compared to writing to non-mirrored lv

6. Help, linux box and Back-ups pro 650

7. Problem on tcp socket:two consecutive writes takes much much longer time than single write, why?

8. Is there any general Linux+xfree86 online manual??

9. HELP: NFS mount hangs when attempting to copy file

10. Takes many attempts to boot - ?rdev problem?

11. nfs write to solaris 2.5.1 file corruption

12. NFS client cannot write large files

13. why don't write file in the nfs of win client????