Pls help me plan my new system

Post by G. O. Grang » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I'm planning to replace my 6 year old system with the following:

Base
   Gigabyte GA-586DX-512  (uses uni or dual pentiums; ATX FF; onboard
                           Adaptec 2940 Ulltra-Wide Controller)
   Intel Pentium 133  (1)
   4x32x60 16MB SIMM - EDO (2) (32MB total)
   ATX Mini-Mid Case (4-3.5" 2 exposed, 3-5.25" exposed)
   WD 2.5 GB EIDE HD
   NEC/Sony/Epson 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive
   Teac  5.25" 1.2MB Floppy Drive
   Teac CDS-56S 6.7X SCSI CD-ROM
   Creative Labs SoundBlaster 32 w/ IDE cont
   MS Natural Ergo 104-Key Windows `95 KB
   Logitech mouse (mouseman?) PS/2 style plug
   Matrox Millenium WRAM 4MB Retail
   X-Inside AcceleratedX
   Nanao T2-17TS 17" or Nanao F2-17EX or (most likely) Iiyama 8617E

This is a home machine and generally, I plan to run OS/2 and Linux ...
maybe Win95.  I plan to partition the drive so that there will be three
primary partitions under the 512 MB mark and several extended partitions
above.

I know the Millenium isn't currently supported under XFree, but I understand
that AcceleratedX does quite well.  (I'll be running the Redhat version of
Linux so I may try Metro too, but I've heard many many good things about
the X-Inside product).

I also understand that the SB32 isn't fully supported because Creative
isn't all that cooperative about releasing info, but it will work as an
SB16.  Is anyone using this card under Linux in this (or any other) way?

Advice and comments welcome, I'd especially like to hear from people with
similar setups or anyone using the above MB.

Thanks,
Greg
--
//
Greg Granger

1. Help planning a new system

Sorry, but I could really use some help. I just purchased the Walnut
Creek Linux Professional Edition which has Slackware 3.4 with kernel
2.0.30. I want to run this in a Pentium II SMP environment with approx
128m ram. I would like to get some opinions on some specific
motherboards this Slackware/Kernel version will support. I could also
use some suggestions concerning some specific non-wide SCSI controllers,
PCI video with at least 4meg and 1280x1024 res and PCI ethernet. I plan
to utilize either the XFree86 3.3.1 or fvwm95 GUI apps that Walnut Creek
supplied. Any help anyone can supply will be appreciated. I have been
reading websites, newsgroups, books, etc and have found so much info
that seems to be contradictory that it's almost overwhelming. So please

2. Lost Root Password

3. OS/9000 -- Is IBM planning a new Operating System?

4. regexp to match lines that don't contain string?

5. Planning on a new system

6. Solaris 7

7. Considering new system - comments or recommendations pls

8. : What socket caused SIG_PIPE?

9. New with new system: Need help to install

10. Pls help: my brand new SS5 freezes once a day.

11. pls help: need to change/move bootstrap from old to new drive

12. Pls help : Installing a new SCSI Adapter, Unix newbie

13. Pls help: my brand new SS5 freezes once a