ATI Xpert vs X Modeline vs 1600x1200, please!

ATI Xpert vs X Modeline vs 1600x1200, please!

Post by amul.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I would greatly appreciate any assitance that someone could give
me to get my Linux desktop to run X at 1600x1200-75Hz.  I can't seem
to come up with a "Modeline" for my XF86Config file which will
do the trick.

I've tried both of the auto-setup pgrograms (xf86setup and the other
one) with no success.  I've looked all over dejanews with no success.
I've read a bunch of web sites, and I've done my best to work through
Eric Raymond's XFree 86 timings HOWTO, again with no success.

  (Sorry Eric, but you lost me in section 10, I didn't follow what
  you were doing and when I just tried plugging my numbers in to
  follow your example I got results that I didn't know what to do with)

I've spent at least 8 hours of work trying to make this happen.
In contrast, I dual-booted into Windows98, and within 5 minutes my
friendly neighbourhood Windows admin had me running at 1600x1200-75Hz,
with 24bit colour.  It's embarassing!

My video card is an 8MB ATI Xpert 98.  I've read various reports
on it's legal dot clock.  "X -probeonly" gives me a max of 230Mhz,
whereas another dejanews posting from someone claims 202.5 is from
an ATI document.

My monitor is a Digital VRC21-WA.  I found a Dec website document
which stated that the monitor will do 1600x1200 at 75Hz non-interlace.
The horizontal scan range is 30-94KHz, and the Vertical scan rate
is 50-152Hz.

The Windows Monitor Properties window shows:
        1600x1200, 24bpp, Vert.Freq 75Hz, Horiz.Freq. 93.70KHz
        ATI Xpert 98 card, 8MB RAM, chip: Mach 64: Rage Pro.
Windows didn't know my monitor model, so we just plugged in
"FR-PCXAV-WZ" and it worked.

Any pointers, any help, greatly appreciated.
--
---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
 Art Mulder,               Sr Systems Administrator, Imaging Research Labs

 www.irus.rri.on.ca/~amulder/                 London, Ontario, Canada, Eh!

ATI Xpert vs X Modeline vs 1600x1200, please!

Post by Christopher Hah » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

I posted a question about this yesterday and while I responded to it
with my own answer I got a more complete answer from another user.
(Artur, care to step in?)

I will just point you to the program "Xconfigurator" which, if you
enter in the specifics of your hadware, will let you enter the
various ranges of resolution that you want.

My fix was to specify JUST the one I wanted, but a responder suggested
how to switch between several and how to set which one is the default.

Look back a few messages for the subject "Changing screen resolution"

and Good Luck,

Christopher

> I would greatly appreciate any assitance that someone could give
> me to get my Linux desktop to run X at 1600x1200-75Hz.  I can't seem
> to come up with a "Modeline" for my XF86Config file which will
> do the trick.

> I've tried both of the auto-setup pgrograms (xf86setup and the other
> one) with no success.  I've looked all over dejanews with no success.
> I've read a bunch of web sites, and I've done my best to work through
> Eric Raymond's XFree 86 timings HOWTO, again with no success.

>   (Sorry Eric, but you lost me in section 10, I didn't follow what
>   you were doing and when I just tried plugging my numbers in to
>   follow your example I got results that I didn't know what to do with)

> I've spent at least 8 hours of work trying to make this happen.
> In contrast, I dual-booted into Windows98, and within 5 minutes my
> friendly neighbourhood Windows admin had me running at 1600x1200-75Hz,
> with 24bit colour.  It's embarassing!

> My video card is an 8MB ATI Xpert 98.  I've read various reports
> on it's legal dot clock.  "X -probeonly" gives me a max of 230Mhz,
> whereas another dejanews posting from someone claims 202.5 is from
> an ATI document.

> My monitor is a Digital VRC21-WA.  I found a Dec website document
> which stated that the monitor will do 1600x1200 at 75Hz non-interlace.
> The horizontal scan range is 30-94KHz, and the Vertical scan rate
> is 50-152Hz.

> The Windows Monitor Properties window shows:
>         1600x1200, 24bpp, Vert.Freq 75Hz, Horiz.Freq. 93.70KHz
>         ATI Xpert 98 card, 8MB RAM, chip: Mach 64: Rage Pro.
> Windows didn't know my monitor model, so we just plugged in
> "FR-PCXAV-WZ" and it worked.

> Any pointers, any help, greatly appreciated.
> --
> ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
>  Art Mulder,               Sr Systems Administrator, Imaging Research Labs

>  www.irus.rri.on.ca/~amulder/                 London, Ontario, Canada, Eh!

ATI Xpert vs X Modeline vs 1600x1200, please!

Post by David St.Clai » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm no expert, and I don't have this card, but by setting the "vga=799" in your
"/etc/lilo.conf" it should set the console resolution to 1600x1200 in 32 bit
mode. I think the console mode effects the resolution of X. Setting the console
had some effect on mine.

David St.Clair

ATI Xpert vs X Modeline vs 1600x1200, please!

Post by Howard Man » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> I would greatly appreciate any assitance that someone could give
> me to get my Linux desktop to run X at 1600x1200-75Hz.  I can't seem
> to come up with a "Modeline" for my XF86Config file which will
> do the trick.

"1600x1200"   202.5   1600 1664 1856 2160   1200 1201 1204 1250

This is associated  with a horizon sync frequency of 93.75KHz, and
a vertical sync frequency of 75Hz

The pixel clock frequency 0f 202.5 MHz is within the max you describe below.

Peruse :   http://www.xmission.com/~howardm/modelines.html

Quote:

> I've tried both of the auto-setup pgrograms (xf86setup and the other
> one) with no success.  I've looked all over dejanews with no success.
> I've read a bunch of web sites, and I've done my best to work through
> Eric Raymond's XFree 86 timings HOWTO, again with no success.

>   (Sorry Eric, but you lost me in section 10, I didn't follow what
>   you were doing and when I just tried plugging my numbers in to
>   follow your example I got results that I didn't know what to do with)

> I've spent at least 8 hours of work trying to make this happen.
> In contrast, I dual-booted into Windows98, and within 5 minutes my
> friendly neighbourhood Windows admin had me running at 1600x1200-75Hz,
> with 24bit colour.  It's embarassing!

> My video card is an 8MB ATI Xpert 98.  I've read various reports
> on it's legal dot clock.  "X -probeonly" gives me a max of 230Mhz,
> whereas another dejanews posting from someone claims 202.5 is from
> an ATI document.

FYI:  The maximum dot clock frequency reported here is also dependent on
 the color depth you are using.Higher color depths per pixel= lower available
maximium dot clock frequency.

Quote:

> My monitor is a Digital VRC21-WA.  I found a Dec website document
> which stated that the monitor will do 1600x1200 at 75Hz non-interlace.
> The horizontal scan range is 30-94KHz, and the Vertical scan rate
> is 50-152Hz.

> The Windows Monitor Properties window shows:
>    1600x1200, 24bpp, Vert.Freq 75Hz, Horiz.Freq. 93.70KHz
>    ATI Xpert 98 card, 8MB RAM, chip: Mach 64: Rage Pro.
> Windows didn't know my monitor model, so we just plugged in
> "FR-PCXAV-WZ" and it worked.

Cheers,

--
Howard Mann
http://www.newbielinux.com

ATI Xpert vs X Modeline vs 1600x1200, please!

Post by amul.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> I would greatly appreciate any assitance that someone could give
>> me to get my Linux desktop to run X at 1600x1200-75Hz.  I can't seem
>> to come up with a "Modeline" for my XF86Config file which will
>> do the trick.
>"1600x1200"   202.5   1600 1664 1856 2160   1200 1201 1204 1250
>This is associated  with a horizon sync frequency of 93.75KHz, and
>a vertical sync frequency of 75Hz
>The pixel clock frequency 0f 202.5 MHz is within the max you describe below.
>Peruse :   http://www.xmission.com/~howardm/modelines.html

Hi Howard, Been there, read it, didn't help.

Thanks to Chris also for his note; I ran Xconfigurator, but it
didn't help either.  Actually either I was doing somethign wrong
or it's broken also, as it claims it'll let me enter my own
Horizontal and Vertical scan rates for my monitor, but then it
doesn't, it just presents a list of a few values.

However I did sort of manage to solve the problem.  I had another
look at the XF86_Mach64 man page, which refered me to the
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.Mach64" document.  This document
was very helpfull and I wish I'd come across it earlier.

As I read this document, the current Mach64 X kernel can't do more
that 16 bits colour at 1600x1200.  I tried that in my XF86Config
file and we're all much happier now!  1600x1200 at 75Hz is now working
fine.

I'll next have a look at the Redhat and/or XFree86 web sites to see
if there is a newer release of the X kernel available.

thanks to Howard and Chris for their responses, they were still
helpfull -- like Sherlock Holmes, I'm left thinking that if it
isn't the modeline then it must be something _else_ in the config
file that is my problem.

--