LILO hangs after adding a HD

Post by Klaus Hiltro » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 06:37:17

Following situation:

+---------------
! hd0
! contains windows XP
! and LILO bootloader which boots XP and linux
+---------------
! hd1
! contains FAT32 data
+---------------
! sd0
! contains linux (mandrake 8)
+---------------
!  IDE-CDROM (secondary master IDE)
!---------------
! one IDE free (secondary slave IDE)
!---------------

Works perfect in this constellation.

Now, I add on the free IDE place a HD which would be hd3.

The additional HD is intended to be there just temporarily to copy large
amount of  data.

I did not expect problems as nothing has changed which concerns the entries
of lilo.conf
However lilo hangs (-> LI   ).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Klaus

LILO hangs after adding a HD

Post by Tapani R?ikk?ne » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 01:17:28

> Following situation:

> +---------------
> ! hd0
> ! contains windows XP
> ! and LILO bootloader which boots XP and linux

/dev/hda

Quote:> +---------------
> ! hd1
> ! contains FAT32 data

/dev/hdb

Quote:> +---------------
> ! sd0
> ! contains linux (mandrake 8)

/dev/hdc (hdc=ide-scsi)

Quote:> +---------------
> !  IDE-CDROM (secondary master IDE)
> !---------------

/dev/hdd

Quote:> ! one IDE free (secondary slave IDE)

/dev/hde

Quote:> !---------------

> Works perfect in this constellation.

> Now, I add on the free IDE place a HD which would be hd3.

Should this be hd2? Am I right?

--
-tapsa-

<http://tapsa.terae.net/linux>

LILO hangs after adding a HD

Post by Klaus Hiltro » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 07:37:03

sorry, I *numbered* the HDs instead of using letters - thanks to tapsa from
Finland. As I do not understand your language I cannot read what is written
on the page(s) when I follow your link.
Remember: the original constellation works. lilo.config is ok for this
constellation. The higher IDE devices are not mentioned in lilo.conf
anyway. I do not understand why is there a problem at all?

Following situation:

+---------------
! hda
! contains windows XP
! and LILO bootloader which boots XP and linux
+---------------
! hdb
! contains FAT32 data
+---------------
! sda (SCSI, ID0)
! contains linux (mandrake 8)
+---------------
!  IDE-CDROM (secondary master IDE)
!---------------
! one IDE free (secondary slave IDE)
!---------------

Works perfect in this constellation.

Now, I add on the free IDE place a HD which would be hdc (or hdd?).

Post by Tapani R?ikk?ne » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 02:17:43

> However lilo hangs (-> LI   ).

> Any suggestions?

Did you remember to rerun lilo?

 From Lilo's manual:
"LI The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
installer."

--
-tapsa-

<http://tapsa.terae.net/linux>

LILO hangs after adding a HD

Post by k » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:46:56

>> However lilo hangs (-> LI   ).

>> Any suggestions?

> Did you remember to rerun lilo?

>  From Lilo's manual:
> "LI The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
> loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
> geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
> installer."

The mistake using numbers instead of letters was just in my mail to this
newsgroup. The real lilo.conf is ok.
Yes, indeed the geometry changes if I add a new harddisk. However, as XP
and linux are on the lower drivers, I do not understand why it is a problem.
XP is still on hda.
linux is still on sda.
The new drive - might it be hdc or hdd - is not even mentioned in lilo.conf

LILO hangs after adding a HD

Post by Jim Bowerin » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 04:00:19

> The mistake using numbers instead of letters was just in my mail to this
> newsgroup. The real lilo.conf is ok.
> Yes, indeed the geometry changes if I add a new harddisk. However, as XP
> and linux are on the lower drivers, I do not understand why it is a
> problem. XP is still on hda.
> linux is still on sda.
> The new drive - might it be hdc or hdd - is not even mentioned in
> lilo.conf

So, did you re-run LILO or not?

LILO hangs after adding a HD

Post by johninsd at san dot rr dot co » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 06:10:41

>sorry, I *numbered* the HDs instead of using letters - thanks to tapsa from
>Finland. As I do not understand your language I cannot read what is written
>on the page(s) when I follow your link.
>Remember: the original constellation works. lilo.config is ok for this
>constellation. The higher IDE devices are not mentioned in lilo.conf
>anyway. I do not understand why is there a problem at all?

>Following situation:

>+---------------
>! hda
>! contains windows XP
>! and LILO bootloader which boots XP and linux
>+---------------
>! hdb
>! contains FAT32 data
>+---------------
>! sda (SCSI, ID0)
>! contains linux (mandrake 8)
>+---------------
>!  IDE-CDROM (secondary master IDE)
>!---------------
>! one IDE free (secondary slave IDE)
>!---------------

>Works perfect in this constellation.

>Now, I add on the free IDE place a HD which would be hdc (or hdd?).

>The additional HD is intended to be there just temporarily to copy large
>amount of  data.

>I did not expect problems as nothing has changed which concerns the
>entries of lilo.conf
>However lilo hangs (-> LI   ).

>Any suggestions?

By adding the new drive, you have changed the BIOS device codes of all
succeeding drives, which includes the drive containing Linux, and the LILO
second stage boot loader.

You'll have to boot Linux from a rescue disk, and re-run /sbin/lilo.  Your
'lilo.conf' file may need "disk=/dev/hdX  bios=0x8?" lines to specify how the
BIOS has actually assigned the device codes.

(Version 22.5-beta1 addresses the issue of changing the disk configuration;
but it is the first LILO version to address this issue.)

--John

Quote:

>Thanks.

>Klaus

LILO hangs after adding a HD

Post by Markus Kossman » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 02:32:15

> Following situation:

> +---------------
> ! hd0
> ! contains windows XP
> ! and LILO bootloader which boots XP and linux
> +---------------
> ! hd1
> ! contains FAT32 data
> +---------------
> ! sd0
> ! contains linux (mandrake 8)
> +---------------
> !  IDE-CDROM (secondary master IDE)
> !---------------
> ! one IDE free (secondary slave IDE)
> !---------------

> Works perfect in this constellation.

> Now, I add on the free IDE place a HD which would be hd3.

> The additional HD is intended to be there just temporarily to copy large
> amount of  data.

> I did not expect problems as nothing has changed which concerns the
> entries of lilo.conf
> However lilo hangs (-> LI   ).

When you add the harddisk, the BIOS changes its identifiers for the disks.
Your SCSI disk was drive 0x82( == third BIOS disk)  and becomes now drive
0x83 because BIOS counts IDE disks first. And lilo tries to access some
non-existant second stage bootloader on your new IDE harddisk ( now drive
0x82).

So try the following procedure:
Unplug the new IDE harddisk. You should be able to boot linux again.
Then add
disk = /dev/sda
bios =0x83
to your lilo.conf and run  lilo (the installer).
Then plug the third IDE harddisk.
When you intent to unplug the IDE disk again, change lilo.conf to bios=0x82
and run lilo again.
--

LILO hangs after adding a HD

Post by Klaus Hiltro » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 03:41:47

My further investigation also brought me to those BIOS numbers for the HDs.
Indeed in lilo.conf some drives are mentioned with lines like
map-drive=0x80 to 0x82 etc.
I do not use these drives under linux nor are they bootable. Mandrake
installed lilo.conf like this.
Actually I have more drives than I mentioned in my question, I didn't want
to make it too complicated.
The drives which hold linux and WinXP are not litterally mentioned with a
BIOS number, but internally they probably will be handled using the numbers.

I booted with a disk with the additional harddisk connected and re-ran lilo
(without having changed lil.conf), as tapsa asked me to do. This did not
help, probably there was still a BIOS numbering conflict as some drives are
mentioned with map-drive=xx.

So, just to be sure about the numbering system:
First all IDE drives beginning with 0x80 for primary master.
Do I count the through the IDE connections or the HDs, what about CD-ROM
drives?

Then all SCSI drives continuing let us say with 0x84...

Thanks a lot for your help.

Klaus

> Following situation:

> +---------------
> ! hd0
> ! contains windows XP
> ! and LILO bootloader which boots XP and linux
> +---------------
> ! hd1
> ! contains FAT32 data
> +---------------
> ! sd0
> ! contains linux (mandrake 8)
> +---------------
> !  IDE-CDROM (secondary master IDE)
> !---------------
> ! one IDE free (secondary slave IDE)
> !---------------

> Works perfect in this constellation.

> Now, I add on the free IDE place a HD which would be hd3.

> The additional HD is intended to be there just temporarily to copy large
> amount of  data.

> I did not expect problems as nothing has changed which concerns the
> entries of lilo.conf
> However lilo hangs (-> LI   ).

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks.

> Klaus

LILO hangs after adding a HD

Post by Timothy Murph » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:57:30

> So try the following procedure:
> Unplug the new IDE harddisk. You should be able to boot linux again.
> Then add
> disk = /dev/sda
> bios =0x83
> to your lilo.conf and run  lilo (the installer).
> Then plug the third IDE harddisk.
> When you intent to unplug the IDE disk again, change lilo.conf to
> bios=0x82 and run lilo again.

I'd just add that the procedure is well described
in the Hard-Disc-Upgrade mini-HOWTO.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-86-233 6090

LILO hangs after adding a HD

Post by Shagg » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:35:21

Groovy hepcat Klaus Hiltrop was jivin' on Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:37:03
-0500 in comp.os.linux.setup.
Re: LILO hangs after adding a HD's a cool scene! Dig it!

>sorry, I *numbered* the HDs instead of using letters - thanks to tapsa from
>Finland. As I do not understand your language I cannot read what is written
>on the page(s) when I follow your link.
>Remember: the original constellation works. lilo.config is ok for this

                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  Here's a small English lesson for you. A constellation is a group of
stars; from Latin, "con" = grouped together, and "stella" = star. The
word I think you mean to use here is "configuration".

http://alphalink.com.au/~phaywood/

LILO hangs after adding a HD

Post by Ignor Amu » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 06:29:05

Quote:> >Remember: the original constellation works. lilo.config is ok for this
>                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   Here's a small English lesson for you.

Wow!  An non-responsive follow-up with a meaningless "English lesson".
Two errors for the price of one!

Quote:> A constellation is a group of
> stars; from Latin, "con" = grouped together, and "stella" = star. The
> word I think you mean to use here is "configuration".

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary

Main Entry: constellation

1 : the configuration of stars especially at one's birth

2 : any of 88 arbitrary configurations of stars or an area of the
celestial sphere covering one of these configurations

3 : an assemblage, collection, or gathering of usually related
persons, qualities, or things <a constellation of... relatives,
friends, and hangers-on -- Brendan Gill>

4 : PATTERN, ARRANGEMENT <taking advantage of the shifting
constellation of power throughout the known world -- H. D. Lasswell>

1. Adding PSVP hd=cyl,hd,sec param to lilo

As the subject sugests, I have an IBM PS Valuepoint and I am tired of have to
always say the following at the boot: prompt:

linux hd=1009,12,55 hd=685,16,38

I have two disks, one 320MB and one 210MB and the slackware distribution v1.0
on cd-rom (purchased from Walnut Creek if that is of any use.)

Basically, what I would like is to specify those parameters either in the
kernel or in the lilo header so I don't have to type them anymore.  I have not
been able to find specific directions in any of the docs and I hoped someone
out there could clue me in (as I am without!)

 my wife checks her mail more often than I can.

Thanks!

               Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks! - Forrest Gump

2. Making XFree86 work with Savage4

3. lilo & adding hd

4. df -k reports incorrect disk space on Sun Ultra-1 running Solaris 2.5.1

5. LILO-Problem after adding a HD

6. linux password

7. lilo hangs at "LI" while booting from extra HD in Laptop

8. Xinetd on platform SS5 under Solaris2.4

9. lilo hangs on second hd with LI

10. LILO problem, hangs at 'L' on HD boot

11. LILO: Hangs at LI on a 540Meg HD

12. Solved: LILO problem, hangs at 'L' at HD boot

13. Have IDE HD want to add SCSI HD