Large HD+ old BIOS+ +boot manager + need dual boot =???????

Large HD+ old BIOS+ +boot manager + need dual boot =???????

Post by JT » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have an old bios that won't recognize HD above 2G (came w/ 1.5G).
I have a maxtor 4.1G HD
It uses manufacturer boot manager to correct for BIOS
I have
        C:\ = 2G  Winblows
        D:\ = 1G  WinData
        E:\ = 1G  Saved for linux

How do I get this boot situation to work?  Will setup recognize the
existing boot manager and configure LILO accordingly?  Will the 2G cause a
1023 cyl prob?

Will I benefit hugely from a larger linux partition?

I can't ditch m$hit yet (nor can I until my scanner and digital camera are
gimpy happy), nor do I want to lose my current setup for now - I pray I'll
never install winblows again...

I'm not a total idiot (can use vi, have _some_ UN*X smarts), I just can't
find any conclusive HOWTO answer.

Help much appreciated...

jt

1. Large HD+old BIOS+boot manager+need dual boot =???????

[...]

2. X-windows login probs

3. Old bios, Linux won't boot from large HD

4. Research Assistantship Available

5. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

6. wtmp and utmp in C

7. general filesystem/vm questions

8. lilo config for dual hd-boot hd->ramdisk-boot?

9. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

10. Old bios, Linux doesn't boot from 540 meg hd

11. Old bios, Linux won't boot from 540 mb HD

12. How to boot from HD not in OLD BIOS?