Why does boot say "CDROM not ATAPI format" ?

Why does boot say "CDROM not ATAPI format" ?

Post by Jim » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have been trying to install RH5.1 on an old 486.

The essentials are:

486DX50
8 MB RAM
hda = 384 MB (Seagate ST3390A)
hdb = 1.28 GB (WD Caviar 31200)

ide1 is a generic ide/floppy controller
ide2 is a generic multifunction card (ide/floppy/printer/serial port)
sound card is also generic (with proprietary cdrom port, which I am not
using)
CD rom is a Hitachi CDR-7730

There is also a buss mouse, generic modem, VGA card, and a KISS packet radio
modem.

Hda and hdb are on ide1.  The CDrom is on ide2.

When I try the boot disk the messages go by rather fast, but I did see that
the two hard discs are detected correctly.  Then there is a message that
says something about the CDrom not being ATAPI format.  It then comes up and
asks me what type of drive I have, and Hitachi is not on the list.

I have verified on the Hitachi web site that it definitely _is_ an ATAPI
drive.

Any hints?  Do I need to remove the soundcard (no jumpers to disable the
proprietary port that I can see)?  Do I need a Hitachi driver, and how do I
install it in boot (since I do not have Linux running how can I rebuild the
Kernel on Windows98)?  There are no jumpers on the ide controllers for
changing the IRQ, so I assume that this is done when the port address is
changed?

Thanks.

Jim

Why does boot say "CDROM not ATAPI format" ?

Post by Linda Sue Barto » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have a different CDROM, but similar problems. In my case, my CDROM was sending
back a message "I'm a floppy drive" when probed. What worked for me...boot from
the boot.img disk. At the Boot: prompt type "linux hdc = cdrom". This meade it
detect the cdrom fine, and I did notice in the boot stuff scrolling by that is
said "CDROM or floppy? Assuming CDROM".  When it asks you whaere your media is,
say local CDROM...it doens;t really think it is hdc. Hope it works for you too!
Linda

> I have been trying to install RH5.1 on an old 486.

> The essentials are:

> 486DX50
> 8 MB RAM
> hda = 384 MB (Seagate ST3390A)
> hdb = 1.28 GB (WD Caviar 31200)

> ide1 is a generic ide/floppy controller
> ide2 is a generic multifunction card (ide/floppy/printer/serial port)
> sound card is also generic (with proprietary cdrom port, which I am not
> using)
> CD rom is a Hitachi CDR-7730

> There is also a buss mouse, generic modem, VGA card, and a KISS packet radio
> modem.

> Hda and hdb are on ide1.  The CDrom is on ide2.

> When I try the boot disk the messages go by rather fast, but I did see that
> the two hard discs are detected correctly.  Then there is a message that
> says something about the CDrom not being ATAPI format.  It then comes up and
> asks me what type of drive I have, and Hitachi is not on the list.

> I have verified on the Hitachi web site that it definitely _is_ an ATAPI
> drive.

> Any hints?  Do I need to remove the soundcard (no jumpers to disable the
> proprietary port that I can see)?  Do I need a Hitachi driver, and how do I
> install it in boot (since I do not have Linux running how can I rebuild the
> Kernel on Windows98)?  There are no jumpers on the ide controllers for
> changing the IRQ, so I assume that this is done when the port address is
> changed?

> Thanks.

> Jim

1. I say "Hello" Linux says "Goodbye" ... aaarghhh

Hello all,
after much blood, sweat, tears and swearing I got Linux running on a
Compaq 386/20. It has 10MB RAM, about 1GB disk space and a CD-ROM.
It recently gone on the internet as an ftp resource.

Everything worked fine at first but now Telnet & ftp have become unreliable.
When they work, they work fine. However when they don't:

- FTP session
  Open <symbolic address> says:

  "Connected to <Symbolic address>"
  "Escape character is '^]'."
  "Connection closed by foreign host."

- Telnet session

  "Connected to <Symbolic address>"
  "421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection"

  and drops me back to the Linux prompt.

It does this regardless of the client (DOS, Windows, Mac or Un*x).
Ping finds the box and since it sometimes works I'm a bit stuck on
what to try next. I've tried "kill -HUP <inetd PID>". The damn
thing is visible and connect-to-able...

Our campus uses nameservers and I've included four in resolv.conf.
Name resolution uses "named" nameservers first. (Order bind, host
in host.conf).

I've just tried *again* and ... then damn thing is now working!!!
I have a few ideas but don't know how to test them, they are:

- Could it be something is timing out (our network is very busy
  and slow quite often) ? How do I confirm this ?

- Could it be some connection limit (shouldn't be, it's very rare
  that more than one person are connected at once).
  Where is this info held ?

- Could it be a name resolution funny (would "host" help here ?).
  Can I test this ?

- Could it be the first Telnet request(s) fail until some
  sort of dynamic table somewhere is updated ?

- Is inetd not loading telnetd for some reason ?

I've checked that the symbolic name and IP number are correct.
The system does a reboot (via a cron script) but this is
identical to another (486) Linux box which works fine ...

I've read books, scanned FAQs etc. but don't really know
where I can sensibly look next. I don't expect answers,
just suggestions of what/where to looknext.
I apologise if this is a trivial or stupid question, I'm
an acting sysadmin with my "L" plates still on ...

Also, another query:
Where is lpd loaded at boot-time ?
Can it safely be *not* loaded to save CPU and RAM ?
(the machine doesn't have a printer attached).

Thanks in advance for any information/suggestions,
   Andy.

2. Job Posting - Sr. Sun Systems Administrator

3. Newbie "Boot" or not to "Boot"

4. RH6.1 and EtherExpress Pro/10

6. Compare creation time of two files

7. SCSI CDrom: "Unable to identify CD-ROM Format" (works in DOS)

8. maxwell word processor and ispell question

9. Help: Why does my diskless client say "permission denied" on boot?

10. sh says: test "$1" = "" when $1="-b"

11. Why does CAP say "socket(): Addr family not supprtd by protocol"?

12. "eject cdrom" does not work -- says /dev/hdd busy

13. Why it's call "Linux" and not "GNU/Linux"