Aureal vortex2 (8830) sound driver for Linux installation

Aureal vortex2 (8830) sound driver for Linux installation

Post by Vincent DECOU » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



Hello,

I have a Dell Dimension PC with a  Turtle Beach Montego II A3D PCI sound

card running Linux.
I downloaded the drivers from http://linux.aureal.com/ (v. 1.0.5) second

public release.
Then I uncompressed, untared, went to the directory, typed "make
install" (for a 8830 model).
And ... no sound. The makefile generates one error at the end, but just
iggnores it. So I guess
it's a non-fatal error.

Is there a way to check my installation ? my sound configuration ? I
must say I'm totally at using
sound under Linux.

Thanks if you can help at all.

Vincent DECOUX

 
 
 

Aureal vortex2 (8830) sound driver for Linux installation

Post by David J. Kant » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



>Then I uncompressed, untared, went to the directory, typed "make
>install" (for a 8830 model).
>And ... no sound. The makefile generates one error at the end, but just
>iggnores it. So I guess
>it's a non-fatal error.

Have you compiled sound support into the kernel as a module? I did that,
then installed the driver and everything works fine.

--
David J. Kanter


 
 
 

Aureal vortex2 (8830) sound driver for Linux installation

Post by N A » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


I have a Dell Dimesion XPSR450 with Turtle Beach Montego A3D sound
card (Aureal AU8820 chipset).  I am running RedHat Linux 6.1 with
the 2.2.14 kernel (which I compiled back in early February).  A few
questions:

1) How can I determine if the kernel has been compiled with sound
support?
2) Will the Aureal 1.0.5 driver work with the AU8820 chipset?



> >Then I uncompressed, untared, went to the directory, typed "make
> >install" (for a 8830 model).
> >And ... no sound. The makefile generates one error at the end, but just
> >iggnores it. So I guess
> >it's a non-fatal error.

> Have you compiled sound support into the kernel as a module? I did that,
> then installed the driver and everything works fine.

> --
> David J. Kanter


 
 
 

Aureal vortex2 (8830) sound driver for Linux installation

Post by KP » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Where did you find the Aureal 1.05 driver? I just checked on Aureal's
website but couldn't find it.  I have TB Montego II and am looking for a
driver for Linux.

kp


> I have a Dell Dimesion XPSR450 with Turtle Beach Montego A3D sound
> card (Aureal AU8820 chipset).  I am running RedHat Linux 6.1 with
> the 2.2.14 kernel (which I compiled back in early February).  A few
> questions:

> 1) How can I determine if the kernel has been compiled with sound
> support?
> 2) Will the Aureal 1.0.5 driver work with the AU8820 chipset?




> > >Then I uncompressed, untared, went to the directory, typed "make
> > >install" (for a 8830 model).
> > >And ... no sound. The makefile generates one error at the end, but just
> > >iggnores it. So I guess
> > >it's a non-fatal error.

> > Have you compiled sound support into the kernel as a module? I did that,
> > then installed the driver and everything works fine.

> > --
> > David J. Kanter


 
 
 

Aureal vortex2 (8830) sound driver for Linux installation

Post by Mark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


http://linux.aureal.com

> Where did you find the Aureal 1.05 driver? I just checked on Aureal's
> website but couldn't find it.  I have TB Montego II and am looking for a
> driver for Linux.

> kp

> > I have a Dell Dimesion XPSR450 with Turtle Beach Montego A3D sound
> > card (Aureal AU8820 chipset).  I am running RedHat Linux 6.1 with
> > the 2.2.14 kernel (which I compiled back in early February).  A few
> > questions:

> > 1) How can I determine if the kernel has been compiled with sound
> > support?
> > 2) Will the Aureal 1.0.5 driver work with the AU8820 chipset?




> > > >Then I uncompressed, untared, went to the directory, typed "make
> > > >install" (for a 8830 model).
> > > >And ... no sound. The makefile generates one error at the end, but just
> > > >iggnores it. So I guess
> > > >it's a non-fatal error.

> > > Have you compiled sound support into the kernel as a module? I did that,
> > > then installed the driver and everything works fine.

> > > --
> > > David J. Kanter


 
 
 

Aureal vortex2 (8830) sound driver for Linux installation

Post by Alastair Presto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> I have a Dell Dimesion XPSR450 with Turtle Beach Montego A3D sound
> card (Aureal AU8820 chipset).  I am running RedHat Linux 6.1 with
> the 2.2.14 kernel (which I compiled back in early February).  A few
> questions:

> 1) How can I determine if the kernel has been compiled with sound
> support?

When you compiled the kernel, did you select "Y" for sound support, or
"M"?
It should be "Y". Also you need booth OSS support options set to "Y",
and everything else set to "N".

Quote:> 2) Will the Aureal 1.0.5 driver work with the AU8820 chipset?

Yes. Do "make install20" as per the instructions. Read said instructions
and the
feedback from other users on linux.aureal.com (which will tell you how
to clean up
existing or failed installations to avoid problems).
 
 
 

Aureal vortex2 (8830) sound driver for Linux installation

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


:> I have a Dell Dimesion XPSR450 with Turtle Beach Montego A3D sound
:> card (Aureal AU8820 chipset).  I am running RedHat Linux 6.1 with
:> the 2.2.14 kernel (which I compiled back in early February).  A few
:> questions:
:>
:> 1) How can I determine if the kernel has been compiled with sound
:> support?

: When you compiled the kernel, did you select "Y" for sound support, or
: "M"?
: It should be "Y". Also you need booth OSS support options set to "Y",
: and everything else set to "N".

"should be" is not being used in the correct english sense. You mean "will
be" or "would be".  There is no m*or authorative compunction to
compile OSS support into the kernel!  Life will be better if it is a
module.

:> 2) Will the Aureal 1.0.5 driver work with the AU8820 chipset?
:  
: Yes. Do "make install20" as per the instructions. Read said instructions

Thanks for info. Never seen an aureal so know now't.

Peter

 
 
 

Aureal vortex2 (8830) sound driver for Linux installation

Post by KP » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


I tested the driver out on my Montego II and it seems to work for the
microphone, CD sound, but I couldn't get wave to work.
kp


> > I have a Dell Dimesion XPSR450 with Turtle Beach Montego A3D sound
> > card (Aureal AU8820 chipset).  I am running RedHat Linux 6.1 with
> > the 2.2.14 kernel (which I compiled back in early February).  A few
> > questions:

> > 1) How can I determine if the kernel has been compiled with sound
> > support?

> When you compiled the kernel, did you select "Y" for sound support, or
> "M"?
> It should be "Y". Also you need booth OSS support options set to "Y",
> and everything else set to "N".

> > 2) Will the Aureal 1.0.5 driver work with the AU8820 chipset?

> Yes. Do "make install20" as per the instructions. Read said instructions
> and the
> feedback from other users on linux.aureal.com (which will tell you how
> to clean up
> existing or failed installations to avoid problems).

 
 
 

1. Aureal 8830 Driver... linux.aureal.com=BAD?

Hello, I am trying to get drivers for an aureal sq2500 card, using 8830
chipset, and the only place i Know of that has (had?) it was
linux.aureal.com, but I can't get there?  Does anyone know if this site is
still up? or perhaps an alternative location to d/l the driver?

Thanks,
Todd

--
Posted via CNET Help.com
http://www.help.com/

2. Problems in installing frame viewer

3. Aureal vortex 2 (8830) driver for Linux

4. cd in script

5. Aureal 8830 drivers for RH 7.0???

6. debugger for forks/threading?

7. Aureal Vortex 2 (8830) on Red Hat 7.1 (Pentium)

8. Migrate a running process from machine A to machine B

9. What's the newest Vortex 2 (8830) Sound Card Driver?

10. Aureal Vortex1 (SQ1500) vs Aureal Vortex2(SQ2500)

11. Aureal Vortex2 drivers

12. Aureal Vortex2

13. Any prospect for Aureal Vortex2 support?