redhat kernel upgrade 2.2.10 problem

Post by jgh » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

i did an ftp install of redhat which went easy, then i booted ok, then i
downloaded kernel and did the following

make mrproper && make menuconfig
make dep && make clean && make install
make modules && make modules_install

okay everything is cool, editied lilo, created inital ramdisk img using
mkinitrd package on my 5.2 cause it wouldn't work with 6.0, which could be
the root of this problem....

i rebooted and everything was cool, but no modules came in, and modprobing
was a no go

any help
any clue
thanks in advance

/jgh

redhat kernel upgrade 2.2.10 problem

Post by jgh » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> i did an ftp install of redhat which went easy, then i booted ok, then i
> downloaded kernel and did the following

> make mrproper && make menuconfig
> make dep && make clean && make install

sorry last one i did is make bzImage

Quote:> make modules && make modules_install

> okay everything is cool, editied lilo, created inital ramdisk img using
> mkinitrd package on my 5.2 cause it wouldn't work with 6.0, which could be
> the root of this problem....

> i rebooted and everything was cool, but no modules came in, and modprobing
> was a no go

> any help
> any clue
> thanks in advance

> /jgh

/jgh

redhat kernel upgrade 2.2.10 problem

Post by Gene Hesket » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Unrot13 this;

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to jgh ;

Quote:> i did an ftp install of redhat which went easy, then i booted ok,
> then i downloaded kernel and did the following
> make mrproper && make menuconfig
> make dep && make clean && make install
> make modules && make modules_install
> okay everything is cool, editied lilo, created inital ramdisk img
> using mkinitrd package on my 5.2 cause it wouldn't work with 6.0,
> which could be the root of this problem....

I think it is. Rename or kill anything in the /modules directory that
looks like a preference or default file, then remake the initrd after
rebooting to 6.0, which should fix those dependencies.

Quote:> i rebooted and everything was cool, but no modules came in, and
> modprobing was a no go
> any help
> any clue
> thanks in advance
> /jgh

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip

                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
--

Post by Davor Cengi » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> i did an ftp install of redhat which went easy, then i booted ok, then i
> downloaded kernel and did the following

> make mrproper && make menuconfig
> make dep && make clean && make install
> make modules && make modules_install

> okay everything is cool, editied lilo, created inital ramdisk img using
> mkinitrd package on my 5.2 cause it wouldn't work with 6.0, which could be
> the root of this problem....

> i rebooted and everything was cool, but no modules came in, and modprobing
> was a no go

        did you compiled kmod and kerneld support in your new kernel?
        if no, do it.

        after that, yhou should do depmod -a <kernel.version> to make
        modeles-dependencies.

        so,

        make modules && make modules_install && depmod -a 2.2.10

        and you'll probably need to edit your /etc/modules.conf (or
        conf.modules, whichever you use). here's my modules.conf

alias net-pt-1 unix

alias char-major-14 sb
post-install sb /sbin/modprobe "-k" "adlib_card"
options sb io=0x220 irq=7 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
options adlib_card io=0x388

alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26 slhc

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start

Davor Cengija

===================================
"Please allow 30 days for delivery"

Post by Ryan H » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> i did an ftp install of redhat which went easy, then i booted ok, then i
> downloaded kernel and did the following

> make mrproper && make menuconfig
> make dep && make clean && make install
> make modules && make modules_install

> okay everything is cool, editied lilo, created inital ramdisk img using
> mkinitrd package on my 5.2 cause it wouldn't work with 6.0, which could be
> the root of this problem....

> i rebooted and everything was cool, but no modules came in, and modprobing
> was a no go

> any help
> any clue
> thanks in advance

Which version of RedHat are you using? Modutils in RH5.2 does not
support modules in kernel 2.2x. If you're using RH5.2, download the
latest modutils.

Hope this was useful

Post by Stev » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> > i did an ftp install of redhat which went easy, then i booted ok,
then i
> > downloaded kernel and did the following

> > make mrproper && make menuconfig
> > make dep && make clean && make install
> > make modules && make modules_install

> > okay everything is cool, editied lilo, created inital ramdisk img
using
> > mkinitrd package on my 5.2 cause it wouldn't work with 6.0, which
could be
> > the root of this problem....

> > i rebooted and everything was cool, but no modules came in, and
modprobing
> > was a no go

>    did you compiled kmod and kerneld support in your new kernel?
>    if no, do it.

>    after that, yhou should do depmod -a <kernel.version> to make
>    modeles-dependencies.

>    so,

>    make modules && make modules_install && depmod -a 2.2.10

>    and you'll probably need to edit your /etc/modules.conf (or
>    conf.modules, whichever you use). here's my modules.conf

> alias net-pt-1 unix

> alias char-major-14 sb
> post-install sb /sbin/modprobe "-k" "adlib_card"
> options sb io=0x220 irq=7 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
> options adlib_card io=0x388

> alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
> alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
> alias ppp-compress-26 slhc

> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start

> --
> Davor Cengija

> ===================================
> "Please allow 30 days for delivery"

Here's a tidbit of info for those of you using RH6.0, recompiling your
kernel, rebooting and getting failed module dependencies and or a pause
at "Finding module dependencies" while booting the new kernel. Edit the
Makefile in /usr/src/linux and take out the "-15" in "EXTRAVERSION" then
create a dir 2.2.5 under /lib/modules and run depmod -a 2.2.5. That's
what hung me up for 2 days.

Hope it helps

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

redhat kernel upgrade 2.2.10 problem

Post by mila.. » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Here's a tidbit of info for those of you using RH6.0, recompiling your
> kernel, rebooting and getting failed module dependencies and or a
pause
> at "Finding module dependencies" while booting the new kernel. Edit
the
> Makefile in /usr/src/linux and take out the "-15" in "EXTRAVERSION"
then
> create a dir 2.2.5 under /lib/modules and run depmod -a 2.2.5. That's
> what hung me up for 2 days.

O.K., I'll bite.  Is this what I need to modify so that upon startup,
the system looks under /lib/modules/2.2.10/ vs /lib/modules/2.2.5-15?

Monte

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/