Plug and Play and BIOS - confused

Post by benh » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:56:01

I want to install Mandrake on an old Dell Optiplex GL5133. According to the
instructions, I'm supposed to
disable plug n play (PnP) OS support so that the BIOS is forced to
handle PnP. However, there's no option to do this in the BIOS SETUP program
(it's
Phoenix 1.10 if that's any help).

Does this mean I don't have to worry about it, or that I need to disable PnP
manually for each device before installing, or that I need to find a less
ancient machine?
In other words, if I just go ahead and install Linux, will it be able to
detect any of the hardware?

    Thanks in advance,

    Ben

Plug and Play and BIOS - confused

Post by Jay & Michell » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:14:39

I just went to www.phoenix.com for you. Being up early and it's a nice day
today.
In your andvanced menu it asks : Installed Operating system. select OTHER.

> I want to install Mandrake on an old Dell Optiplex GL5133. According to the
> instructions, I'm supposed to
> disable plug n play (PnP) OS support so that the BIOS is forced to
> handle PnP. However, there's no option to do this in the BIOS SETUP program
> (it's
> Phoenix 1.10 if that's any help).

> Does this mean I don't have to worry about it, or that I need to disable PnP
> manually for each device before installing, or that I need to find a less
> ancient machine?
> In other words, if I just go ahead and install Linux, will it be able to
> detect any of the hardware?

>     Thanks in advance,

>     Ben

Plug and Play and BIOS - confused

Post by benh » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:01:38

    There is no advanced menu and no option to do with the OS in my BIOS
Setup (Phoenix 1.10 A19). There are 2 pages of options accessed by using
"Alt-P" or something. Unless there's some obscure way to get to the advanced
options?
    Do I need to upgrade my BIOS?

> I just went to www.phoenix.com for you. Being up early and it's a nice day
> today.
> In your andvanced menu it asks : Installed Operating system. select OTHER.

> > I want to install Mandrake on an old Dell Optiplex GL5133. According to
the
> > instructions, I'm supposed to
> > disable plug n play (PnP) OS support so that the BIOS is forced to
> > handle PnP. However, there's no option to do this in the BIOS SETUP
program
> > (it's
> > Phoenix 1.10 if that's any help).

> > Does this mean I don't have to worry about it, or that I need to disable
PnP
> > manually for each device before installing, or that I need to find a
less
> > ancient machine?
> > In other words, if I just go ahead and install Linux, will it be able to
> > detect any of the hardware?

> >     Thanks in advance,

> >     Ben

Plug and Play and BIOS - confused

Post by Jay & Michell » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:15:38

Ok then read between the lines and GOTO WWW.PHOENIX.COM and READ.

>     There is no advanced menu and no option to do with the OS in my BIOS
> Setup (Phoenix 1.10 A19). There are 2 pages of options accessed by using
> "Alt-P" or something. Unless there's some obscure way to get to the advanced
> options?
>     Do I need to upgrade my BIOS?

> > I just went to www.phoenix.com for you. Being up early and it's a nice day
> > today.
> > In your andvanced menu it asks : Installed Operating system. select OTHER.

Plug and Play and BIOS - confused

Post by benh » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:35:23

Yes, thanks for that - I'd already looked through the Phoenix site - there's
no information about such an old BIOS. Basically, it looks like there's no
option to change PnP settings from within the BIOS that I have.
So, (possible BIOS upgrade aside) secondary question - if I go ahead and
install, does this mean that Linux won't be able to find any devices since
Windows is handling the PnP stuff? Or does it mean that PnP is being handled
by the BIOS already?
[I ran the pnpbtst.exe utility (http://www.phoenix.com/products/util.html)
and it found nodes which means that PnP is supported by the system - so
presumably this is being done by Windows?]

Thanks for your patience - I have read lots of info online about this but
most of the Linux docs assume you can disable PnP OS support or similar, and
the BIOS resources don't address this.

> Ok then read between the lines and GOTO WWW.PHOENIX.COM and READ.

> >     There is no advanced menu and no option to do with the OS in my BIOS
> > Setup (Phoenix 1.10 A19). There are 2 pages of options accessed by using
> > "Alt-P" or something. Unless there's some obscure way to get to the
> > options?
> >     Do I need to upgrade my BIOS?

> > > I just went to www.phoenix.com for you. Being up early and it's a nice
day
> > > today.
> > > In your andvanced menu it asks : Installed Operating system. select
OTHER.

Plug and Play and BIOS - confused

Post by Jay & Michell » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:54:12

Plunk Linux into it, and go from there then.If it's that old you shouldn't have
to much trouble :)

> Yes, thanks for that - I'd already looked through the Phoenix site - there's
> no information about such an old BIOS. Basically, it looks like there's no
> option to change PnP settings from within the BIOS that I have.
> So, (possible BIOS upgrade aside) secondary question - if I go ahead and
> install, does this mean that Linux won't be able to find any devices since
> Windows is handling the PnP stuff? Or does it mean that PnP is being handled
> by the BIOS already?
> [I ran the pnpbtst.exe utility (http://www.phoenix.com/products/util.html)
> and it found nodes which means that PnP is supported by the system - so
> presumably this is being done by Windows?]

> Thanks for your patience - I have read lots of info online about this but
> most of the Linux docs assume you can disable PnP OS support or similar, and
> the BIOS resources don't address this.

> > Ok then read between the lines and GOTO WWW.PHOENIX.COM and READ.

> > >     There is no advanced menu and no option to do with the OS in my BIOS
> > > Setup (Phoenix 1.10 A19). There are 2 pages of options accessed by using
> > > "Alt-P" or something. Unless there's some obscure way to get to the
> > > options?
> > >     Do I need to upgrade my BIOS?

> day
> OTHER.

Plug and Play and BIOS - confused

Post by benh » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 00:06:26

I think I'll just have to go ahead and do that ... I wonder what will
happen?

> Plunk Linux into it, and go from there then.If it's that old you shouldn't
have
> to much trouble :)

> > Yes, thanks for that - I'd already looked through the Phoenix site -
there's
> > no information about such an old BIOS. Basically, it looks like there's
no
> > option to change PnP settings from within the BIOS that I have.
> > So, (possible BIOS upgrade aside) secondary question - if I go ahead and
> > install, does this mean that Linux won't be able to find any devices
since
> > Windows is handling the PnP stuff? Or does it mean that PnP is being
handled
> > by the BIOS already?
> > [I ran the pnpbtst.exe utility

(http://www.phoenix.com/products/util.html)

> > and it found nodes which means that PnP is supported by the system - so
> > presumably this is being done by Windows?]

> > Thanks for your patience - I have read lots of info online about this
but
> > most of the Linux docs assume you can disable PnP OS support or similar,
and
> > the BIOS resources don't address this.

> > > Ok then read between the lines and GOTO WWW.PHOENIX.COM and READ.

BIOS

> > day
select
> > OTHER.

Plug and Play and BIOS - confused

The worst? You'll have to beat on your IRQ's to get your sound card to work.