RH can't setup AMD ethernet card

Post by JMV » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Okay before posting this question I read everything I could and I still
can't get my network card to work.  ( i was able to troubleshoot sndconfig,
Xfree86 3.3.3 and KDE but this is kicking my butt)

I have an Allied Telesyn 2450 PCI ethernet card . According to the
EthernetHowTO this is really an AMD 79C970 and uses the "lance" driver

When I installed Caldera 1.2 it setup my ethernet card just fine. However,
when I switced to RH 5.1 I have been unable to configure it correctly.

Here is all the info I have (as reported by Windows device manager)

Device: AMD PCNet Family Ethernet Adapter (PCI-ISA)
IRQ: 9
I/O : E800h - E81Fh
MEM: EE000000h-EE00001Fh

Windows TCP/IP settings

IP: 192.168.100.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Installed Gateways: 192.168.100.1
DNS
Host: xxxxx
Domain : yyy.zzzzz.net

DNS Server SO
12.34.56.7
12.34.56.8

Domain Suffix SO
yyy.zzzzz.net

my linux kernel is 2.0.35

Does RH support AMD chipset ethernet cards? When I try to use the Kernel
Configurator in Xwindows it doesn't offer anything under the eth0 module
type list that looks like amd, or lance.

Thanks for any help in getting me on the net.

JMV

Post by Mike Chi » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Okay before posting this question I read everything I could and I still
>can't get my network card to work.  ( i was able to troubleshoot sndconfig,
>Xfree86 3.3.3 and KDE but this is kicking my butt)

>I have an Allied Telesyn 2450 PCI ethernet card . According to the
>EthernetHowTO this is really an AMD 79C970 and uses the "lance" driver

>When I installed Caldera 1.2 it setup my ethernet card just fine. However,
>when I switced to RH 5.1 I have been unable to configure it correctly.
>Does RH support AMD chipset ethernet cards? When I try to use the Kernel
>Configurator in Xwindows it doesn't offer anything under the eth0 module
>type list that looks like amd, or lance.

I use Slackware so I'm not too familiar with Red Hat but the Configurator
might also call the chip PCnet. FWIW, the installation floppy for RH 5.0 has
support for the chip compiled in the kernel used for installation.

1. AMD PCNET Ethernet Card setup problem

I really need help to setup OpenLinux 1.1 from Caldera.
My Linux work fine except the network card cannot be boot and is not
detect at all.
My machine is Compaq Deskpro 5133 and the network card is built in.

My previous machine with ne2000 clone works prefect fine with my network
and it is running RedHat 5.0.

Need some pointer so I can setup OpenLinux as a webserver using Netscape
product.

Thanks in advance.

-hy

p.s. I know all the basic ip address , DNS , named and etc... for the
network software part but not the hardware device driver and setup.

2. kdelibs 2.1.1 compiling

3. Windows 'killing' my DFE-530 TX Ethernet card setup in Linux

4. Accessing NT Server Behind Linux Firewall

5. RH 5.1 setup with ethernet card not directly supported

6. Default Font on Command Line

7. Netgear FA411 ethernet pcmcia card won't run in RH 7.1

8. Question on raw socket

9. RH 5.1 install can't find ethernet card

10. RH 5.2 won't detect Focus Ethernet card

11. RH 7.2 netconfig, etc don't recognize ETHERNET card

12. GVC Ethernet Combo card - PCMCIA ethernet under RH 4.1

13. Can't setup my Ethernet card--Help!