soundcard compatibility

Post by Sujat Jami » Mon, 07 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Does Linux support Soundblaster 16 Plug and Play?  E.g. will it work
with the current non-plug and play soundblaster drivers?

Thanks much for letting me know.

Sujat

soundcard compatibility

Post by Oliver Daw » Mon, 07 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Does Linux support Soundblaster 16 Plug and Play?  E.g. will it work
>with the current non-plug and play soundblaster drivers?

have a look at the two links i provided on my hp.

http://www.fet.uni-hannover.de/od/PnP.html

there is a link to redhat's pnp pages and a nother solution from uk. my pnp
card works fine with this isapnp - tool.

bye od

--
     Oliver Dawid * Hegeblaech 16 * D-30419 Hannover *  +49-511-2712439

soundcard compatibility

Post by Mark Niels » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Does Linux support Soundblaster 16 Plug and Play?  E.g. will it work
>with the current non-plug and play soundblaster drivers?

>Thanks much for letting me know.

>Sujat

Yes, but I don't know if it is plug and play. I was able to get mine to work,
but you have to compile the kernel if it is less than kernel 2.0 and actually
have the card in your computer while compiling it for the sound blaster.

Mark

--
http://auto.med.ohio-state.edu/mark     http://auto.med.ohio-state.edu/linux

        My "dude" account is used for news articles only. PLEASE!!!!!!!!

soundcard compatibility

Post by Ryan S. Fi » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I also have a sound blaster 16 plug and play...I got my kernel
configured and have sound support in as a module...but when I
try to play something, it says there is no such device.  So I
would like to take this opportunity to try to get some help of
my own (and hopefully help out Sujat at the same time).

I boot into win95 (bleck) and it works OK with the same settings
I have under linux...I've done MAKEDEV audio with the sound driver
loaded but still nothing works...if anybody has any suggestions, I
would appreciate the help.

btw, here is what happens when I cat /dev/sndstat:
---
Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630 (Mon Sep 30 20:32:15 EDT 1996 root,
Linux nemesis 2.0.0 #1 Mon Sep 30 17:39:48 EDT 1996 i586)
Kernel: Linux nemesis 2.0.20 #1 Mon Sep 30 20:39:38 EDT 1996 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 2: Sound Blaster
Type 7: SB MPU-401

Card config:
(Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,5)
(SB MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 1 drq 0)
(OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0)

Audio devices:

Synth devices:

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
---

Post by Chris Ada » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Please visit http://www.4front-tech.com/linux.html to download OSS/Linux
>which supports PnP SB-16 (no additional PnP tools or DOS initialization
>are required).

I'm not (necessarily) against ads on the Internet or the commercial
development of Linux, but I do think you should say when you are telling
people to download a commerical product.  It only costs $20, but again,
your post sounds like you can download your module and use it - nothing
else is necessary.
--

"So, if anybody wants to have hardware sent to them: don't call me, but
instead write your own unix operating system.  It has worked every time

soundcard compatibility

Post by 4Front Technologi » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: I also have a sound blaster 16 plug and play...I got my kernel
: configured and have sound support in as a module...but when I
: try to play something, it says there is no such device.  So I
: would like to take this opportunity to try to get some help of
: my own (and hopefully help out Sujat at the same time).

: I boot into win95 (bleck) and it works OK with the same settings
: I have under linux...I've done MAKEDEV audio with the sound driver
: loaded but still nothing works...if anybody has any suggestions, I
: would appreciate the help.

: btw, here is what happens when I cat /dev/sndstat:
: ---
: Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630 (Mon Sep 30 20:32:15 EDT 1996 root,
: Linux nemesis 2.0.0 #1 Mon Sep 30 17:39:48 EDT 1996 i586)
: Kernel: Linux nemesis 2.0.20 #1 Mon Sep 30 20:39:38 EDT 1996 i586
: Config options: 0

: Installed drivers:
: Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
: Type 2: Sound Blaster
: Type 7: SB MPU-401

: Card config:
: (Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,5)
: (SB MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 1 drq 0)
: (OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0)

: Audio devices:

: Synth devices:

: Midi devices:

: Timers:
: 0: System clock

: Mixers:
: ---

: >

: > >Does Linux support Soundblaster 16 Plug and Play?  E.g. will it work
: > >with the current non-plug and play soundblaster drivers?
: > >
: > >Thanks much for letting me know.
: > >
: > >Sujat
: >
: >
: > Yes, but I don't know if it is plug and play. I was able to get mine to work,
: > but you have to compile the kernel if it is less than kernel 2.0 and actually
: > have the card in your computer while compiling it for the sound blaster.
: >
: > Mark
: >
: > --
: > http://auto.med.ohio-state.edu/mark     http://auto.med.ohio-state.edu/linux

: >         My "dude" account is used for news articles only. PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Please visit http://www.4front-tech.com/linux.html to download OSS/Linux
which supports PnP SB-16 (no additional PnP tools or DOS initialization
are required).

Best regards,

4Front Technologies

soundcard compatibility

Post by Peter Svenss » Sun, 13 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I also have a sound blaster 16 plug and play...I got my kernel
>configured and have sound support in as a module...but when I
>try to play something, it says there is no such device.  So I
>would like to take this opportunity to try to get some help of
>my own (and hopefully help out Sujat at the same time).

This could be due to the soundblaster failing the irq-test at startup.
Somve versions of the SB16 to this (ours does). We solved the problem by
adding a "#define NO_SB_IRQ_TEST" at the top of drifers/sound/sb_common.c.
The card was worked flawlessly since.

Peter

1. Soundcard compatibility - Turtle Beach...

I'm thinking of getting a nice soundcard for my Linux
box... probably most interested in the Turtle Beach
cards (Malibu Surround 64, Daytona PCI), but I'm not
against the Awe64, I guess.

Does anyone have any thoughts, caveats, problems, etc
with any of the above mentioned cards, especially with
regards to Linux?

thanks,
andy

--
Andy Wallace       (650) 372-2230     (Internal:x2737)

            Got SCROOM? http://www.scroom.com
         "No pithy quote today, I'm too tired."

2. X not wroking with 4.0 RedHat Upgrade

3. soundcard compatibility

4. ATI or Logitec bus mouse in XF86

5. VLB vs. soundcard SCSI controllers (Solaris x86 compatibility)

6. (Possibly dumb) Q: Move disks from OpenBSD-2.3/sparc to NetBSD-1.5/sparc ?

7. Laptop has ESS soundcard; SB compatibility?

8. K menu

9. adding a second soundcard and losing the first soundcard

10. Video Card (Tseng 4000/W32i) compatibility and other compatibility questions

11. best soundcard for linux?

12. Aztech PnP soundcard

13. Soundcards and CD-Roms