zImage and vmlinuz, w

Post by JEFFREY MIYAR » Sun, 28 May 1995 04:00:00

 JW> IN my lilo.conf I have:
 JW> # Linux bootable partition config begins
 JW> image = /zImage
 JW> root = /dev/hdb3
 JW> label = linux
 JW> # Linux bootable partition config ends

 JW> But I also have a /vmlinuz file as well as /zImage.
 JW> Do I need both of these, or is one just a remnant from a previous
 JW> kernel? Joel

You might want to keep the other ones, just in case, but if you're confident
with your current compilation, go ahead and delete everything but zImage.
---
 * Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 *

zImage and vmlinuz, w

Post by Timothy Murp » Mon, 29 May 1995 04:00:00

> JW> IN my lilo.conf I have:
> JW> # Linux bootable partition config begins
> JW> image = /zImage
> JW> root = /dev/hdb3
> JW> label = linux
> JW> # Linux bootable partition config ends
> JW> But I also have a /vmlinuz file as well as /zImage.
> JW> Do I need both of these, or is one just a remnant from a previous
> JW> kernel? Joel

Everybody advises use of zImage. But
When compiling the kernel, I just say "make install" at the end,
and I get /vmlinuz .
(The old kernel is stored as /vmlinuz.old .)
Then I re-build lilo from the setup menu,
and it all seems to work perfectly.
[I'm not even sure that I need to re-build lilo.]
This seems perfectly straightforward,
and simpler than the recommended route.

Is there some drawback in this ?

--