redhat telnet

Post by Peter Reill » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hello everyone
I've just installed the new RedHat version of linux. The problem that
have now is that if you telnet or ftp to it and try to login as root the
system responds with an incorrect login, why is that?

redhat telnet

Post by Ian Laki » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Hello everyone
> I've just installed the new RedHat version of linux. The problem that
> have now is that if you telnet or ftp to it and try to login as root the
> system responds with an incorrect login, why is that?

By default RedHat 4 will not allow root connections from anywhere except
the console. Details can be found in the manual pages for securetty and
ftpusers. The default does provide a degree of security against hacking,
and I have left it in place, using a normal login followed by the su
command if I need remote root access.

Ian

redhat telnet

Post by Colin Bloc » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Hello everyone
> I've just installed the new RedHat version of linux. The problem that
> have now is that if you telnet or ftp to it and try to login as root the
> system responds with an incorrect login, why is that?

because you can't... anybody with a sniffer and a twisted mind
could pick up your root passy like that.  Add a user account to
telnet in with.  (adduser blah ; passwd blah)
CB