cannot install Redhat I downloaded from the ftp server

cannot install Redhat I downloaded from the ftp server

Post by carl li » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have downloaded RPMs from the ftp server. when I tried to install Redhat,
the computer said it cannot find the Redhat installation tree, so I thought
I need to download Base and Instimage dirctory in order to make it work. I
notice under the instimage dirctory that it has a lot of symbolic links. How
do I download symbolic links and do I really need them in order for the
Redhat installation to work?

thanks

cannot install Redhat I downloaded from the ftp server

Post by Vampyr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The RedHat install procedure requires the rpms to be in the /RedHat/RPMS
directory of the source hard drive.

Quote:> I have downloaded RPMs from the ftp server. when I tried to install
Redhat,
> the computer said it cannot find the Redhat installation tree, so I
thought
> I need to download Base and Instimage dirctory in order to make it work. I
> notice under the instimage dirctory that it has a lot of symbolic links.
How
> do I download symbolic links and do I really need them in order for the
> Redhat installation to work?

cannot install Redhat I downloaded from the ftp server

Post by Mickey Stei » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If you download one of the win-like ftp clients like x?ftp.tar.gz from cdrom or
unc, then just highlight the top window dir (instimage) it'll bring down
everything (but only if you have a preexisting installation of linux to run it
from :) . Unfortunately it doesn't help the install. I was sure I remembered not
even having an instimage dir on previous installs and upgrades and so I renamed
it for 6.1 to xinstimage and it gave me the same error about anaconda.real...

              good luck,

                    Mick

(I think just the base and RPMS dirs are needed.)

Post by Caspar von Seckendorf » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I have downloaded RPMs from the ftp server. when I tried to install
Redhat,
> the computer said it cannot find the Redhat installation tree, so I
thought
> I need to download Base and Instimage dirctory in order to make it

work.

Why do you download installation RPMs? Have you ever tried to create a
bootdisk and do a direkt FTP-Insatallation. That workel very well for
me.

Caspar

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. install problem on ftp downloaded redhat 6

hey all,

        i have downloaded 56 megs of rpms of redhat 6 already, can anyone
tell me the ones i will need to fix a problem when i install, it says
'unable to configure mouse' and then when i go into the menu only the
network setup works, all the rest don't respond when i click them. Or will i
have to d'l the whole lot?

        thanks,

            rowan

2. X crashes when I switch virtual consoles

3. RedHat 5.1 Install from FTP downloaded CD

4. HPGL Plotter under Sparc Solaris 2.5.1

5. cannot ftp from win95 ftp server

6. GNU + BSD = ?

7. Installing RedHat 4.0 via FTP server running on Windows NT

8. ypbind: cannot create write lock

9. HLP: Cannot download some files of the RedHat distribtion

10. RedHat 7.1 - Installing FTP and Web servers

11. RedHat 4.0: Installing from FTP-server running on Windows NT

12. How to install RedHat 5.2 from an FTP server?