lpr won't delete all files

Post by pn.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

  I have a network PostScript printer set up off of a RH 6.1 system.
When a remote user (Samba 2.0.5a) or a local user(lpr) prints a file one
of the spool configuration files is not deleted.
   The spool is /var/spool/lpd/lp0.  When a print job is submitted 4
spool files are generated, two files starting with dfA and two files
starting with cfA.  The job prints and afterwards only three of the
spool files are deleted.  One file cfAxxxxxxxx is left.
   This leftover file causes the print job to not finish and all
subsequent jobs to hang until that file is cleared.
   Any ideas?

   Thanks in advance

 Paul Noah

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. 'delete' command in ftp delete files in local hard disk ???

I write a batch file in Windows to download some files from an
UltraSPARC running Solaris in a LAN. The files will be deleted after
it was retrieved. Currently, I generate a ftp script file in the batch
file and pass it to ftp with 'ftp -ivn < myfile.ftp' in Windows.

The ftp script generated will be something like this:

open <ip_address>
user <username> <pass>
cd <source_path>
lcd <dest_path>
get myfile1
delete myfile1
get myfile2
delete myfile2
..
bye

Note that It is possible that the files are not available in the
UltraSPARC and it seems there is a bug in the ftp 'delete' command
(maybe in Windows environment).

The 'delete' command is supposed to delete the file in the REMOTE
environment, however, if the file does not exist in the UltraSPARC,
the 'delete' command will delete the file store in my LOCAL HARD DISK.

Is there anyway to prevent the 'delete' command to delete the files in
my local hard disk when it doesn't exist in thre UltraSPARC ?

\/\/yatt \/\/ong Home Page - http://www.asiaonline.net.hk/~tfwong/
Winona Ryder Forever H. P. - http://www.asiaonline.net.hk/~tfwong/winona/

Send a message with subject GET PGP KEY to get my PGP public key

2. sndconfig

3. lpr -d ... pk files won't be created automagically!

4. Installation of NE2000-compatible card

5. "rm: can't unlink 'files'",can't delete files

6. Large site - need advice

7. How to remove a file that won't be deleted?

8. Security Quickstart HOWTO Release

9. HELP: Squid.pid won't accept kill -USR1 (to delete log files)

10. Possible to use 'lpr' to save a file onto a remote Sun?

11. lpr -- how to send 'raw' files

12. lpr won't work

13. lpr won't print