Redhat 7.1: Whay linuxconf not run on KDE?

Redhat 7.1: Whay linuxconf not run on KDE?

Post by Huy V » Fri, 18 May 2001 09:51:59

Hi all,

I'm trying Redhat 7.1 and setup KDE as default desktop and reset Firewall
level to no FireWall.

After startup KDE control-panel, I tried to click on linuxconf icon but not
thing come up.

Nothing happen in running linuxconf from run command menu or from kconsole
terminal.

Does someone see this problem before?

Thanks in advance for any help.

DH

Redhat 7.1: Whay linuxconf not run on KDE?

Post by JP » Fri, 18 May 2001 17:33:14

Quote:> Hi all,

> I'm trying Redhat 7.1 and setup KDE as default desktop and reset Firewall
> level to no FireWall.

> After startup KDE control-panel, I tried to click on linuxconf icon but
not
> thing come up.

> Nothing happen in running linuxconf from run command menu or from kconsole
> terminal.

> Does someone see this problem before?

According to RedHat, linuxconf is depricated (something like that!) in this
release so it's not part of the install which I found a bit annoying as I
don't run X and there are no other real admin tools (except vi!).

If you want Linuxconf you'll have to download it from
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf/

HTH,

JP

Post by Luke Voge » Fri, 18 May 2001 21:03:28

> According to RedHat, linuxconf is depricated (something like that!) in this
> release so it's not part of the install which I found a bit annoying as I
> don't run X and there are no other real admin tools (except vi!).

> If you want Linuxconf you'll have to download it from
> http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf/

There is a good reason that linuxconf is deprecated ... it's broken.

There is no way known that it could keep up with the updates and
improvements of the packages that it was supposed to administer.

My suggestion would be to learn how to admin your box manually.  That
way you'll know exactly what your system is doing and why, and if things
go awry, you'll know how to fix them.

just my $0.02 + tax
--
Regards
Luke

------

Post by Damae » Fri, 18 May 2001 21:46:37

> There is a good reason that linuxconf is deprecated ... it's broken.

> There is no way known that it could keep up with the updates and
> improvements of the packages that it was supposed to administer.

Ok... I'm confused... linuxconf works on my box, with no mention of being
deprecated, nslookup was the only program I noticed proclaiming that. So
basically this is one big fat... HUH??

Post by Tim Hayne » Fri, 18 May 2001 22:33:41

> > There is a good reason that linuxconf is deprecated ... it's broken.

> > There is no way known that it could keep up with the updates and
> > improvements of the packages that it was supposed to administer.

> Ok... I'm confused... linuxconf works on my box, with no mention of being
> deprecated, nslookup was the only program I noticed proclaiming that. So
> basically this is one big fat... HUH??

There are many factors that might result in Luke's comment, but roughly
speaking I have identified at least 3:
        1) it's broken; it doesn't do what you want it to do (true enough;
           the version in RH7.0 had no dial-out PPP config module at all!);
           there might not be a way within it to configure exim instead of
           sendmail, or whatever;
        2) it's broken; you'll run it again at a later date and it'll do
           rather more than you asked it for, *ling on your settings
           (include the idea that it might run later, or not reliably
           making changes that effect what you asked it today the first
           time you ask for them, or it will forget what you set next time
           round);
        3) Old-Fartism: `in myyy dayyy, wi did everyfingk by 'and'.
           There's a lot to be said for this; "it's" an /etc/hosts file
           whether you tweaked the contents by linuxconf or vi, and vi is
           available on rather more distributions and machines than you can
           "rely" (which you can't, anyway) on linuxconf.

I did ask this on uk.comp.os.linux (my `home' group :) a few months ago -
deja/google will probably find the survey results, but the impression I got
is that, sure, there are the bugs, but the old-fartist approach has also
played a significant part in pulling a few respectable regulars away from
using it altogether, which I can understand. That's why I use it as a
once-off to set everything up immediately after base installation on a
* custom install box, and never again.
(It also helps that I have a large builtin database of `task I wish to
achieve' -> `config files and actions to do to achieve it' entries; that's
called Experience, by some people, or `sadness' by those who have lives :)

~Tim
--
    14:12:27 up 1 day, 23:44, 12 users,  load average: 0.36, 0.14, 0.10

http://www.veryComputer.com/      |Chasing the days, chasing the days.

Post by Mark Schlege » Sat, 19 May 2001 02:45:53

> > There is a good reason that linuxconf is deprecated ... it's broken.

> > There is no way known that it could keep up with the updates and
> > improvements of the packages that it was supposed to administer.

> Ok... I'm confused... linuxconf works on my box, with no mention of being
> deprecated, nslookup was the only program I noticed proclaiming that. So
> basically this is one big fat... HUH??

see section #17 near the bottom of the RedHat 7.1 manual:

http://www.redhat.com/support/manuals/RHL-7.1-Manual/release-notes/s1...

"17.Deprecated Packages - the following packages are deprecated, and could
disappear
  in a future release:

 a.AfterStep

 b.Netscape 4.x

 c.Qt 1.x

 d.KDE v1 compatibility libraries / build environment

 e.elm

 f.linuxconf

 g.ncpfs

 h.mars_nwe"

Mark

Post by Damae » Sat, 19 May 2001 03:55:46

>> Ok... I'm confused... linuxconf works on my box, with no mention of
>> being deprecated, nslookup was the only program I noticed proclaiming
>> that. So basically this is one big fat... HUH??

> see section #17 near the bottom of the RedHat 7.1 manual:

> http://www.redhat.com/support/manuals/RHL-7.1-Manual/release-notes/s1...

Wow... thanks for the link... I had no clue. Not that I use it very
often... but it's nice for quick changes... That list had netscape 4.x
deprecated too... but I can't say I like Mozilla much. I still use 4.x,
it seems much faster on my machine. Oh well...

Redhat 7.1: Whay linuxconf not run on KDE?

Post by Tim Hayne » Sat, 19 May 2001 04:29:03

[snip]

Quote:> > http://www.redhat.com/support/manuals/RHL-7.1-Manual/release-notes/s1...

> Wow... thanks for the link... I had no clue. Not that I use it very
> often... but it's nice for quick changes... That list had netscape 4.x
> deprecated too... but I can't say I like Mozilla much. I still use 4.x,
> it seems much faster on my machine. Oh well...

I know the feeling, and think it'd be good to have it as a fall-back for a
little while yet. There are just too many sites out there that don't grok
Mozilla itself, but only look for IE or NS (I know, these sites are broken,
I either mail the webmaster a load of abuse as they deserve or give up & go
away...)

An alternative, btw, is definitely Konqueror. It rocks, I figure. Mozilla
is only just catching up with it - while some people were making noise &
hot air, folks at KDE were making a browser.

~Tim
--

And you watch the ripples flow              | http://piglet.is.dreaming.org

Redhat 7.1: Whay linuxconf not run on KDE?

Post by Gene Hesket » Sat, 19 May 2001 12:45:18

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Tim Haynes;

 TH> [snip]

Quote:>> > http://www.redhat.com/support/manuals/RHL-7.1-Manual/release-notes/s1...
>> > tem.html

>> Wow... thanks for the link... I had no clue. Not that I use it very
>> often... but it's nice for quick changes... That list had netscape 4.x
>> deprecated too... but I can't say I like Mozilla much. I still use 4.x, it
>> seems much faster on my machine. Oh well...

 TH> I know the feeling, and think it'd be good to have it as a fall-back for
 TH> a little while yet. There are just too many sites out there that don't
 TH> grok Mozilla itself, but only look for IE or NS (I know, these sites are
 TH> broken, I either mail the webmaster a load of abuse as they deserve or
 TH> give up & go away...)

 TH> An alternative, btw, is definitely Konqueror. It rocks, I figure. Mozilla
 TH> is only just catching up with it - while some people were making noise &
 TH> hot air, folks at KDE were making a browser.

Likewise for the final V5 of opera Tim, its fast, and even does some XML
stuff, but its downloading logic needs fine-tuning as issued, and it
screen resize re-render is totally busted, only solvable via the reload
button after the window size has been adjusted.  I like it because you
can convert its history pulldown, which isn't forgotten when quitting,
can be expanded into one heck of a long hotlist in effect.  I've set
mine to the last 1000 sites.

Its got some warts, but I still prefer it to konqeror, when backing up, its
a total screen recovery, instantly, whereas Konqeror has to redraw and
reposition, a much slower process.

Both know about wheel mice, something netscape hasn't heard about yet.

Cheers, Gene
--

        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
#Amiga based X10 home automation program EZHome, see at:#

Redhat 7.1: Whay linuxconf not run on KDE?

Post by Gene Hesket » Sat, 19 May 2001 13:26:09

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to JP ;

>> Hi all,

>> I'm trying Redhat 7.1 and setup KDE as default desktop and reset Firewall
>> level to no FireWall.

>> After startup KDE control-panel, I tried to click on linuxconf icon but
> not
>> thing come up.

>> Nothing happen in running linuxconf from run command menu or from kconsole
>> terminal.

>> Does someone see this problem before?
> According to RedHat, linuxconf is depricated (something like that!) in this
> release so it's not part of the install which I found a bit annoying as I
> don't run X and there are no other real admin tools (except vi!).
> If you want Linuxconf you'll have to download it from
> http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf/

Allow me to defend Jacques(sp) here, and to take RH to task in the same
message.

1. RedHat, for some unknown reason, has always shipped a version of
linuxconf that was at least a version of RH behind what was available
on the solucorp site.  Sure, RH changes things faster than Jacques can
fix it, when you *_obviously_* have no open channel of communications,
thats bound to happen.  IMO the channel is available, I've used it.

2. I recently had a DNS config problem that prevented linuxconf from
updating anything, it was too busy notifying me with a message to relay
such and such a file set to Jacques.  That I did, and was very
pleasantly surprised to see a new version that fixed it all in about 30
hours.  My amaturish attempts to setup a DNS were just fine BTW.

So go get the last one, 1.25r3 I think, maybe r4 by now, and see if it
can do what you want.

Cheers, Gene
--

Post by JP » Sat, 19 May 2001 17:35:40

> > According to RedHat, linuxconf is depricated (something like that!) in
this
> > release so it's not part of the install which I found a bit annoying as
> > don't run X and there are no other real admin tools (except vi!).

> > If you want Linuxconf you'll have to download it from
> > http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf/

> There is a good reason that linuxconf is deprecated ... it's broken.

> There is no way known that it could keep up with the updates and
> improvements of the packages that it was supposed to administer.

> My suggestion would be to learn how to admin your box manually.  That
> way you'll know exactly what your system is doing and why, and if things
> go awry, you'll know how to fix them.

> just my $0.02 + tax

Thanks for the $0.02. :-)

I'm still learning how to admin Linux but if there is an easy way to do sort
things out, I'll use it, Linuxconf was (sometimes) much quicker for the
mundane configuration tasks so if it's available (and working) I'll carry on
using it. If it doesn't do what I want, vi will.

Post by Luke Voge » Sat, 19 May 2001 18:32:26

> Thanks for the $0.02. :-)

> I'm still learning how to admin Linux but if there is an easy way to do sort
> things out, I'll use it, Linuxconf was (sometimes) much quicker for the
> mundane configuration tasks so if it's available (and working) I'll carry on
> using it. If it doesn't do what I want, vi will.

Dont get me wrong, I used linuxconf when I first started too.  I soon
got sick of linuxconf clobbering my manual configs as I tweaked my
systems the way I wanted them, and decided to /dev/null it!

It had its place, but I very quickly out grew it, and I think you'll
find the same.
--
Regards
Luke
ego.sh  comes with a self  installer. It is a  single threaded  multi
process daemon  application thats facilitates access to the  infamous
game "rat race". Warning uninstalling may enhance system performance.
------
PLEASE NOTE: Spamgard (tm) installed.

------

Redhat 7.1: Whay linuxconf not run on KDE?

Post by <elle.. » Sat, 19 May 2001 23:41:02

Quote:> 1. RedHat, for some unknown reason, has always shipped a version of
> linuxconf that was at least a version of RH behind what was available
> on the solucorp site.  Sure, RH changes things faster than Jacques can
> fix it, when you *_obviously_* have no open channel of communications,
> thats bound to happen.  IMO the channel is available, I've used it.

The problem that alot of free software zealots have is a limited
appreciation for anything resembling a lifecycle model. The problem
with even quick fixes from the author is that you probably need them
at least six months before the ship date. For linuxconf, which should
have screen shots in the documentation, that's more like 12-18.

That's not a snide remark, or a dig at linuxconf, just a fact of
life. Debian provides a distribution which never releases, but is
always in a perpetual beta test for people who prefer that model.

The gods honest truth is that the shrink-wrapped versus downloaded
product wars will probably never be solved, as each one is better in
certain situations. And, for a fast-changing package, you'll almost
always be forced to acquire it from the source.

--

Redhat 7.1: Whay linuxconf not run on KDE?

Post by Tim Hayne » Sat, 19 May 2001 23:57:57

[snip]

Quote:> That's not a snide remark, or a dig at linuxconf, just a fact of life.
> Debian provides a distribution which never releases, but is always in a
> perpetual beta test for people who prefer that model.

Er... for what values of `release'?

Quote:> The gods honest truth is that the shrink-wrapped versus downloaded
> product wars will probably never be solved, as each one is better in
> certain situations. And, for a fast-changing package, you'll almost
> always be forced to acquire it from the source.

Telling me. It's a question of perspective; I think of software as having
intrinsic versions while this idea of `release' is a humanoid invention.
Versions will always go up in a continual stream: draw the dividing line
wheresoever you will, or, be a Debian type and look at the stream not the
rocks :8)

~Tim
--

How to get to Sesame Street?                | http://piglet.is.dreaming.org

Post by Keith Rohr » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:20:31

>>Hi all,

>>I'm trying Redhat 7.1 and setup KDE as default desktop and reset Firewall
>>level to no FireWall.

>>After startup KDE control-panel, I tried to click on linuxconf icon but not
>>thing come up.

>>Nothing happen in running linuxconf from run command menu or from kconsole
>>terminal.

>>Does someone see this problem before?

>>Thanks in advance for any help.

>>DH

>while in KDE put the cd in and a browser will launch. double click on
>the rpm you want to install, and it will automatically  install. This
>may not be the recomended way but it works.
>another newbie here.

While in gnome, the autorun on the Red Hat CD gets me to the graphical
RPM installer too.  But there's no reconfiguration tool of any sort.

To change the firewalling, try running firewall-config; I see it in
Gnome's Programs/System menu, but not in the KDE menus.

        Keith

--
Clues don't kill people, the inspector thought. People kill people.
[from http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/spaf/Yucks/V7/msg00012.html]

1. ntop RedHat 7.1 not running! Help

Hi and thanks for reading this: I have just installed ntop 1.3.2-5 rpm, all
seemed to go OK, however I am unable to capture any data. When running ntop
in Interactive mode the plug-ins are loaded, packet sniffing starts,the
screen then halts. When stopped with a Ctrl-C, zero packets have been
received by the filter on eth0 and zero packets have been dropped by the
kernel or ntop.

I can connect to the web server on port 3000, but again no data.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Phil Howe

2. Detecting close of sockets

3. Where is LinuxConf in RedHat 7.1 ?!

4. LINUX & WINDOWS 95

5. Linuxconf on RedHat 7.1

6. why won't linux see /dev/lp[1,2]??

7. Redhat 7.1 求救!! (DHCP , Linuxconf-web)

8. Moving SysV initialization scripts using only mv and a shell.

9. where is linuxconf in Redhat 7.1

10. Red Hat 7.1: Can't run Krite (KDE Advanced text Editor)

11. xpdf for redhat version 7.1 using KDE

12. Problem installing KDE 3.0 on Redhat 7.1

13. KDE slow on redhat 7.1 - apologies if this has already been posted.