Multiboot Linux (red Hat 4.1 with Win'95)

Multiboot Linux (red Hat 4.1 with Win'95)

Post by Ruud Mierma » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I have installed Window95 on my 1rd partition
and Redhat 4.1 on my 3rd partition

Now I can boot by floppy (linux boot) and give up   boot linux
ramdisk=0 root=/dev/hda3
But I want a choice at startup to boot Win95 or Linux....
Or even better to load default Win95 and after 50 seconds timeout then
Linux
What to do ???

Here is my /etc/liloconf file.

boot=/dev/hda3     ( is I my linux partition0
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
        other=/dev/hda1
        label=Windows95
        table=/dev/hda
image=/boot/vmlinuz
root=/dev/hda3
read-only

I know when this have to be changed that i must give the command
/sbin/lilo to reread the lilo.conf  file.

What do I have to do  EXACTLY ???     ( Before I can't boot anything,
anymore)

Thanks,

Ruud Miermans
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Multiboot Linux (red Hat 4.1 with Win'95)

Post by Scott Wo » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have installed Window95 on my 1rd partition
> and Redhat 4.1 on my 3rd partition

> Now I can boot by floppy (linux boot) and give up   boot linux
> ramdisk=0 root=/dev/hda3
> But I want a choice at startup to boot Win95 or Linux....
> Or even better to load default Win95 and after 50 seconds timeout then

50 seconds?  Surely you mean 5, which is what your lilo.conf is set for?

[lilo.conf snipped]

Quote:> I know when this have to be changed that i must give the command
> /sbin/lilo to reread the lilo.conf  file.

> What do I have to do  EXACTLY ???     ( Before I can't boot anything,
> anymore)

The file looks okay, just make sure that you have the 3rd partition set as
the active partition using fdisk.

-Scott

--
Remove PLNOSPAM to reply.

1. Red Hat setup 4.1 won't create a boot disk

Hi,
I just installed Red Hat Linux 4.1. Everything went fine, but the last
step: creating a boot disk wouldn't do a thing, nor on the harddisk,
nor on a floppy. I tried everything from the howto's but nothing works.
I have an Adaptec SCSI disk of 3Gb and linux is on the last partition
of 300Mb. Could anyone please help me?
Oh, yes, when I boot with a Slackware installation disk and I choose
to boot from my harddisk, it says "Child # died with error code 0xff00",
where # is a number counting from 0 till ???
And when I boot with a Red Hat installation disk, my SCSI card doesn't
seem to be recognized.

Another remark: I went to the RedHat site, and tried to get support, but
the thing asked for a serial number and I got my CD from
"Computer World", a magazine, and there is no serial number on it.

TIA && sorie vor me bat Englis,

Tom Francart,
Leuven, Belgium, Europe

2. adjust sound

3. Red Hat 4.1 won't recognize my CD-ROM

4. Problems with malloc

5. Red Hat 4.1 telnet to my system won't let me in

6. Stuck CRON process.

7. Install Win 95 onto Linux Red Hat 5.0

8. Installing SCO ver5.04 in a Compaq Proliant 2000

9. My experience installing Red Hat with Win 95

10. Modems in Red Hat 4.1 and Win NT

11. Red Hat installs from Win 95?

12. red hat 5.0 and window's 95

13. can't install Red Hat 4.1 on HP Pavilion 8140