InterNetNews(innd) Question

Post by Tom Or » Sun, 08 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I usually give it two hours and if I cannot clue in after that time
period I come out here. I gave it two hours.....

 I cannot for the life of me create a news group.

 I tried the script 'makegroup'.
 I tried some help from the web that said to directly
 use: 'cltnnd newgroup my.new.group'

 The messages files reports now error, and the /var/log/news
directory has no evidence of a problem. When I try to get new
groups from netscape only the control groups show up with
all the control message I sent.....

  Any clues?
  -Tom-

InterNetNews(innd) Question

Post by Peter Sobis » Sun, 08 Mar 1998 04:00:00

On Sat, 07 Mar 1998 08:08:15 GMT,

>I usually give it two hours and if I cannot clue in after that time
>period I come out here. I gave it two hours.....
> I cannot for the life of me create a news group.
> I tried the script 'makegroup'.
> I tried some help from the web that said to directly
> use: 'cltnnd newgroup my.new.group'
> The messages files reports now error, and the /var/log/news
>directory has no evidence of a problem. When I try to get new
>groups from netscape only the control groups show up with
>all the control message I sent.....

you could try the "hard" method :-)
stop or shutdown your INN,
edit the active file manually and put something like this into
your active file:

my.new.group 0000000000 0000000001 y

then start your INN again and the new newsgroup should be visible.

Regards,
Peter

--
Peter Sobisch    | Anthony's Law of Force:

PGP Key: http://homepages.allcon.com/~peter.sobisch/petersob.asc

InterNetNews(innd) Question

Post by Michael Martine » Mon, 09 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi TIN won't post news for me. Neither will Pnews. ANy help?

Maybe I should give a little more info. I'm using linux at home and got a ppp
connection to the news server.

-mike

Post by <krw.. » Mon, 09 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hi TIN won't post news for me. Neither will Pnews. ANy help?
> Maybe I should give a little more info. I'm using linux at home and got a ppp
> connection to the news server.

Upgrading to tin 1.3+ will help.  You can also read and post with Pine, if you
set some of Pine's options (Setup,Config from the main menu).

Kurt

--
9) Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do
   so would injure them or others.

Post by Andy Jeffers » Mon, 09 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hi TIN won't post news for me. Neither will Pnews. ANy help?
> Maybe I should give a little more info. I'm using linux at home and got a ppp
> connection to the news server.

Have you got 'inews' installed. 'inews' does the posting of news onto a news
server. If so, is it in the directory that 'tin' is looking for it in ?
For me (RH5.0) inews is in /usr/sbin.

Hope this helps
--
Andy Jefferson

1. Q:NNTP library, clientlib (3)- NNTP clientlib part of InterNetNews library

The clientlib (for NNTP access) is what I am looking for under Solaris 2.5.
Can anyone tell me where to find it? (What to include from which CDROM)

Many thanks in advance!

2. NetKit and BSD headers

3. InternetNews: Netscape: Down But Not Out

4. SIOCADDRT-Error with DLD5.0

5. InternetNews setting it up etc

6. Changing User's Password with admusermod

7. InterNetNews 2.1 lock ups on FreeBSD 3.0

8. Simple "ls" question

9. help with inn setup InternetNews

10. InterNetNews - precompiled binary for SCO. Where?

11. Quick question about innd

12. Innd newbie question

13. innd question