larger fonts for gVIM and other apps

Post by Mike » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi

Thanks ahead of time

Two questions, very similar

I'm trying to setup gVIM so that the window text has larger, more
readable fonts.  What file needs to be edited to do this.  Which
directory are the fonts being used, so that I may see what fonts and
font sizes are possible to select from.

Is there a central font manager that can adjust font type and size for
most apps?  I've only been successful for window appearance fonts.

Mike

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hi

>Thanks ahead of time

>Two questions, very similar

>I'm trying to setup gVIM so that the window text has larger, more
>readable fonts.  What file needs to be edited to do this.  Which
>directory are the fonts being used, so that I may see what fonts and
>font sizes are possible to select from.

>Is there a central font manager that can adjust font type and size for
>most apps?  I've only been successful for window appearance fonts.

Easiest way is to edit ~/.Xdefaults. Default fonts can be set here for
most apps.

 Eterm*font: -*-lucidatypewriter-medium-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
 emacs*font: 10x20
 vim*menuBar*font: 9X12

Also, most apps have an 'rc' file that can be used to set fonts. For vim
this ~/.vimrc and/or ~/.gvimrc:

    set guifont=-*-*-bold-r-normal-*-18-*-75-*-*-*-iso8859-1

You can use xfontsel or gfontsel to cut/paste font lines.

--
Hal B

--
            Linux helps those who help themselves

Post by Thomas Leona » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi
> Thanks ahead of time
> Two questions, very similar
> I'm trying to setup gVIM so that the window text has larger, more
> readable fonts.  What file needs to be edited to do this.  Which
> directory are the fonts being used, so that I may see what fonts and
> font sizes are possible to select from.

You can either set this by changing your X resources (:help gui_resources) or
using a vim command. For example, try:
  :set guifont=8x13

You can put this in your .vimrc file so that it happens automatically.

Quote:> Is there a central font manager that can adjust font type and size for
> most apps?  I've only been successful for window appearance fonts.

The 'xfontsel' command will allow you to see the fonts available - click on
'select' when you have what you want and then paste it into the appropriate
place for the application (each app will be different).

Apps from a common environment may allow you to set all their fonts at once.
Eg: Using the GNOME control centre you can set the fonts to use in all GTK+
applications.

Thomas Leonard
--

3rd year computer science
RISC OS freeware to download at http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~tal197/

1. Gtk font dialog discriminates? / gvim font trouble

Hi,

Why is the gtk font selection dialog not always the same? For example:
when I do:
$ gvim &
$ gimp &

and then get the font dialog of both programs to filter only for
gb2312.1980-0, this is what I get:

gimp:
ar pl kaitim gb (arphic)
ar pl sunil gb (arphic)
fangsongti
songti

gvim:
fangsongti
songti

Why doesn't gvim have the arphic fonts?

Now, when I choose songti or fangsongti in gvim, the cursor (and window)
gets very large and it advances with large steps while typing, but I don't
see anything. Why?

Anybody ideas? Thanks.

--
Jeroen
*** "Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle ***

2. canon bjc-210

3. Fonts are to small at 1600x1200, How I can change all fonts to a larger size?

4. 2 e-z questions

5. Apps no longer start remotely [was: Re: GVIM no longer starts...]

6. Solaris 9 issue found with RM6.22.1

7. Gvim, Mozilla menu font

8. Whats the best scanner one can use with Linux

9. gvim & fonts

10. Making default shell fonts larger

11. Using larger fonts

12. Larger fonts with NetScape