Debian Install CD-Rom Problem

Post by Greg Bel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

New to Linux.  Trying to install Debian Linux.  Machine is a P200
class.  Has Buslogic SCSI adapter with Seagate st34371n and a Plextor
PX-12cs CD-ROM attached.  Got so far as page 16 of the instructions
"Installing the Operating System Kernel and Modules" and ran into a
wall.  The system cannot find the cd-rom drive.  It definately is a scsi

cd-rom and is on address 5.  I tried all device combinations, although I

knew it was not IDE.  It will not find the device, therefore I am stuck.

Any advice?  Remember I am a novice at Linux, although I am a sys admin
for NT / windows systems.

Thanks.

1. Installing Debian 2.0; problems finding CD-ROM.

Hello

I was trying to install Debian 2.0.

The installation was going fine until I got to the
software package installation.

I successfully chose my packages. The installation
program then prompted me for specific block device
for my CD-ROM.

As I don't have my "Practical System Administration Guide"
I can't remember the proper Block device prefix for a
regular ATAPI IDE CD-ROM.

What am I supposed to enter at the command prompt?

I am currently running a Toshiba Satellite Pro 405cs
laptop with an internal CD-ROM. The installation program
found my CD-ROM fine earlier in the installation when it
prompted where it was on the IDE chain.

I think it was the second device as I can't remember the
full installation dexcription. But it was found succesfully
so I know Debian can use my CD-ROM.

Thank you for any help you can give me with regards to this
problem.

Robbi Sagris

P.S. Remove the BLAH's if you want to e-mail me the answer

2. changing cwd after process exec

3. problem installing debian from CD-rom SONY CDU33a

4. My compiled bash is too big...

5. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

6. Oddball netscape/system error - need help

7. CD-ROM not detected by linux after CD-ROM install

8. Running Linux on a dual processor MSI 6321 motherboard

9. CD-ROM Drive Errors w/ Debian Installation - Bootable CD Problem?

10. debian install (kernel 2.0 atapi cd-rom irq timeout bug?)

11. can not install Linux: CD-ROM-Problem with Debian 2.0r3