Q:Connecting Mac Powerbook and LINUX-PC

Post by Christian Tot » Mon, 12 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi all there,
I am planning to connect a Macintosh PowerBook Duo 230 with only one
serial(printer)/appletalk port to my PC.
Q: 1. Is there some way to do this and access each filesytems (Mac = HFS)?
   2. Does LINUX support Apple-Talk over serial line?
   3. I there any chance to mount the powerbook disk?

Because of the compact design of the powerbook there is only the one
shared port and nothing like ethernet or so, in my PC there is a Novell
NE2000...
I am not a LINUX expert (... but I hope to improve ;-) ) - much more a newbie!

If you have any experience connecting Mac and PC please report.

Thanks a lot...

Chrstian

--
please no junk-mail!

Post by Anders Pettersso » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00

: Hi all there,
: I am planning to connect a Macintosh PowerBook Duo 230 with only one
: serial(printer)/appletalk port to my PC.
: Q: 1. Is there some way to do this and access each filesytems (Mac =
HFS)?

You could install a PPP server on the Linux box and nullmodem agains it
with PPP programs on the Mac. You would then be able to ftp, telnet etc
from the mac to the Linux box. The other way would be a bit more of a
problem probably, but I don't know enough about mac's to be able to help
you on that one.

:    2. Does LINUX support Apple-Talk over serial line?

There is apple talk in newer version of the kernel, but I have never tried
it over a serial port, so I can't give you any answer about that either.

:    3. I there any chance to mount the powerbook disk?

I don't know, I saw something about a patch, but that was a while ago, and
I am far from sure it was the thing you wanted.

: Because of the compact design of the powerbook there is only the one
: shared port and nothing like ethernet or so, in my PC there is a Novell
: NE2000...

It would be preferable to network them with a proper network.

NFS mounting discs over serial cables is not really to recommend, I do that
sometimes with a couple of my machines (debugging purposes) and it is dead
slow even in 115200 bps, but no wonder if you realise how much data that
has to be transferred :)

1. Q: connecting Mac and LINUX-PC

Hi,
I would like to connect my Mac Powerbook DUO with only one (there is even
no floppy or so ...) printer(serial)/apple-talk port to my PC, any
suggstions how to do this?
Especially I would like to acces each file systems, both use SCSI disks...
and the CD-ROM drive is in the PC...

does anybody know somethig about apple.talk over serial line on a PC under
LINUX?
BTW Apple uses an own filesystem called HFS

Thanks
Christian

--
please no junk-mail!

2. digital Camera and Freebsd 4.0 Which One ??

3. connecting a linux pc and an apple mac

4. Can't get @home to work

5. connect mac and linux pc over nullmodemcable

6. Sparc 10 & Serial Port

7. connecting macs and pc's using linux

8. 1.3.26

9. window-pc can't connect with linux-pc using mgetty

10. newbie Q: connecting mac and pc?

11. How to connect the PC with Mac?

12. Linux on a Mac Powerbook from the stone ages?

13. Need help connecting W98 PC to Linux PC (Slackware 7.0)