"shutdown now" takes me to "bash"??

Post by John » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I just installed the slackware linux on a 486 and after a couple of
retries got it running ok.. however after some attempts at isntalling
httpd (ncsa) when I try to shutdown I go to "bash" and when I exit I get a
prompt for which run number I want (I learned 0 is not the one!) any
suggestions short of a reinstall? I am a Mac user who just started with
dos and windows 32 days ag0 (to facilitate my web page design/graphics)..

"shutdown now" takes me to "bash"??

Post by GART » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>|> I just installed the slackware linux on a 486 when I try to shutdown I go to "bash"

>I just turn it off from there.

 Try :-    shutdown -r now
  it works for me.

Post by J. Patters » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>>I just turn it off from there.

> Try :-    shutdown -r now
>  it works for me.

Well, it never has on my machine, for some reason - the machine shuts
down but never reboots; it just jams when it should have sent the reboot
signal :-(

J.

"shutdown now" takes me to "bash"??

Post by Bernt T. Hanse » Fri, 08 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>    Shutdown just takes you down to single-user mode.  Try running
>shutdown -r now, or reboot.  Actually, the 'halt' man page says you shouldn't
>call reboot directly, but rather have shutdown call it (the -r option).  I'm
>not sure why this is, other than that shutdown broadcats a warning to
>other users so they have time to get off.  If you are the only one online,
>I don't know why it would be problematic.

I think the reason you should NOT run reboot directly is that is does not
sync the drives before restarting the system; shutdown does.

Bernt.

Post by Eric Hob » Sat, 09 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>: I just installed the slackware linux on a 486 and after a couple of
>: retries got it running ok.. however after some attempts at isntalling
>: httpd (ncsa) when I try to shutdown I go to "bash" and when I exit I
get a
>: prompt for which run number I want (I learned 0 is not the one!) any
>: suggestions short of a reinstall? I am a Mac user who just started
with
>: dos and windows 32 days ag0 (to facilitate my web page
design/graphics)..

>        Shutdown just takes you down to single-user mode.  Try running
>shutdown -r now, or reboot.  Actually, the 'halt' man page says you
shouldn't
>call reboot directly, but rather have shutdown call it (the -r option).
 I'm
>not sure why this is, other than that shutdown broadcats a warning to
>other users so they have time to get off.  If you are the only one
online,
>I don't know why it would be problematic.

Since I come from SunOS land, I've always done a "sync;halt" after
issueing the shutdown now command.  On slakware Linux, it does exactly
what is expected.  That is sends a TERM to all process and halts the
system.  At that point, shut 'er off.

--Eric (Linux newbie)

-----
Pacifier Online Data Service Dialup SLIP/PPP User
To register: (360) 693-0325 or telnet pods.pacifier.com
-----

"shutdown now" takes me to "bash"??

Post by Jesse Paakka » Sat, 09 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: >
: > Try :-    shutdown -r now
: >  it works for me.

: Well, it never has on my machine, for some reason - the machine shuts
: down but never reboots; it just jams when it should have sent the reboot
: signal :-(

: J.

I think it is a hardware problem ( not having 100 % IBMPC or whatever)
in the motherboard. I have the same problem and if you look at the
kernel code performing the reset, you'll find it is sending something
into the one of the out-ports. With not so much 100% boards this fuction
doesn't work.... You may try to test the out command with DOS debug and
see what happens....

Jesse Paakkari

"shutdown now" takes me to "bash"??

Post by Richard Bro » Tue, 12 Sep 1995 04:00:00

On a related note:  How can I skip the 30 second delay, since I am the
only user on my machine?

Post by Andy S » Tue, 12 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>On a related note:  How can I skip the 30 second delay, since I am the
>only user on my machine?

Sorry for jumping into the middle of this conversation...
But why use "shutdown" on a "normal" basis??

Use "halt" to halt the machine..
Or "reboot" to reboot the machine..  (or fire off the Saturday morning
cartoon!)

* Andy Say                   |   Space intentionally left        *
*                            |      blank.                       *

"shutdown now" takes me to "bash"??

Post by SteveB I » Tue, 12 Sep 1995 04:00:00

or use the ol' '3-finger salute' (Ctrl-Alt-Del)

"shutdown now" takes me to "bash"??

Post by Jakob Schio » Wed, 13 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: Neither halt nor reboot call sync.  If you do want to use halt or reboot,
: do something like:
: # sync ; sync ; halt (or reboot)

Well, my /sbin/halt does call sync (I hink it even unmounts, or maybe it's
init running rc.0 that does that).  You can call halt with -n to suppress
the sync - although I cannot think of any sane use of that!

--
Jakob Schiotz              !  Fax:    +1 (314) 935 6219
Department of Physics      !  Phone:  +1 (314) 935 4968

St. Louis, MO 63130, USA   !  WWW:    http://nils.wustl.edu/schiotz.html

Post by Mark Komarins » Wed, 13 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: >On a related note:  How can I skip the 30 second delay, since I am the
: >only user on my machine?

: Sorry for jumping into the middle of this conversation...
: But why use "shutdown" on a "normal" basis??

: Use "halt" to halt the machine..
: Or "reboot" to reboot the machine..  (or fire off the Saturday morning
: cartoon!)

Neither halt nor reboot call sync.  If you do want to use halt or reboot,
do something like:
# sync ; sync ; halt (or reboot)

-Mark

--

"You're one of those condescending UNIX Computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer." (6/24/95 Dilbert)

"shutdown now" takes me to "bash"??

Post by Bill Hollowa » Thu, 14 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Yeah, I always use the command /sbin/reboot or /sbin/shutdown -r now.  The -r
is important because it reboots the machine.
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Bill Holloway

http://www.io.com/~holloway/

Post by Chuck's Pla » Thu, 14 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>>On a related note:  How can I skip the 30 second delay, since I am the
>>only user on my machine?
>Sorry for jumping into the middle of this conversation...
>But why use "shutdown" on a "normal" basis??
>Use "halt" to halt the machine..
>Or "reboot" to reboot the machine..  (or fire off the Saturday morning
>cartoon!)

If you do not do an orderly shutdown, the file system can get messed
up.  Some versions automatically try to recover on reboot but the boot
will take somewhat longer.  For heavens sake, even MS windows gets
into trouble if you power down without exiting.  Shutdown is very
important because of swap file issues and open file issues -especially
files open for write which may not be up to date.

Bottom line.

Use shutdown!

Chuck

         Time was when the brains were