xvidtune and user

Post by Fredrik Mal » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi !

I have a few problems. I have Red Hat 5.0 installed on my machine and i
have adjusted the screen settings with xvidtune, but when i restart
Linux my settings is gone, why ??

I have also tried to connect to internet as another user and not as
root, but that doesn't work, i have been given the advise to do chmod
u+s/usr/sbin/pppd*, but that didn't work either, i connect to internet
by using network configurator i X's control panel both as root and as my
other username, and it works as root. What is the solution to these
problems ???

Please help
Fredrik

xvidtune and user

Post by Kluste » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

I am a newbie and this is what I use for connecting as a user
/usr/sbin/usernetctl ppp0 up
and to disconnect
/usr/sbin/usernetctl ppp0 down
Until I read further this is good enough for me...

Quote:> Hi !

> I have a few problems. I have Red Hat 5.0 installed on my machine and i
> have adjusted the screen settings with xvidtune, but when i restart
> Linux my settings is gone, why ??

> I have also tried to connect to internet as another user and not as
> root, but that doesn't work, i have been given the advise to do chmod
> u+s/usr/sbin/pppd*, but that didn't work either, i connect to internet
> by using network configurator i X's control panel both as root and as my
> other username, and it works as root. What is the solution to these
> problems ???

> Please help
> Fredrik

xvidtune and user

Post by Dennis Williamso » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

Did you edit the XF86Config file and change the settings to the ones output
by xvidtune?

Dennis

--

Food for thought: Is Twentieth Century Fox Y2K compliant?

1. Xvidtune/xvidtune assistance needed.....

    Hello,

    I have been attempting to adjust the rastered screen image of
XWindows on my system for some time now. The horizontal and vertical are
not sized well to my monitor's screen as of yet.
    I had at first attempted to follow intructions set forth from the
Linux RedHat manual for version 5.0, along with "Linux Unleashed" from
Sam's Publishing. It is mentioned therein that xvidtune is a utility for
just such a thing as I require. However, I receive no "buttons,
sliders", or whatnot as mentioned in the xvidtune man page, just a
report of the default resolution. I then abandoned xvidtune and have
since been experimenting with video timing adjustments within XF86Config
by following instructions on the subject I obtained from RedHat's
webpage. I have not been satisfied yet with what I have arrived at.
    I have recently found Xvidtune within the app-defaults directory and
noticed right away that this was a source-file of some sort for the
running, or configuring of xvidtune. I attempted to uncomment the lines
within Xvidtune and re-run xvidtune. I received a message that I would
need to "install" the program before running it. Okay, so I read the man
page on "install" and merrily went about running xvidtune again. This
time I received an error return about an exclamation mark at the second
line. I then attempted to run install on Xvidtune without monkeying with
uncommenting the lines; no help there. I am fairly C/Unix programming
illiterate, but I do think I know an exclamation mark to be denoting a
remark, a non-code element. Apparently it is not in this case.
    Would someone steer me in the right direction here concerning this
issue. Also, a related subject that I have not focused on yet is
changing the default 8-bit color to 32-bit TrueColor. I am apparently
missing some other init file other than xf86config, XF86Config, xinitrc,
.xinitrc, fvwmrc2, xvidtune, and Xvidtune......hmmmm, I think I
mentioned them all....not sure. Please excuse my sarcasim, have been
trying to get X right before loading CDE, it's turning into a
hobby....heheheheh.
    Below are particulars.

Thank you in advance....

Guyote
Boulder, Colorado

OS                              RedHat 5.0 ( Intel platform )
Kernel                         2.0.33
X                                 updated xfree86 running fvwm
Video server (accel)     SuSE_Elsa_GLoria for Permedia2 AGP
Monitor                       ViewSonic P775

basically just trying to get the stock RedHat distribution to work......

2. Multi-Platter CD-ROM?

3. xvidtune and users

4. Sound Galaxy Waverider 32 Pro

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. Replacing escape sequence in file

7. <xvidtune>

8. difference between login-shell and -e

9. xvidtune error - XFree86_3.1.2

10. xvidtune

11. xvidtune settings persistent ?

12. Save Xvidtune's parameters.

13. How do I get X going as well as xvidtune