No 'Lines:' field in news headers

Post by Ian Ste » Mon, 13 May 1996 04:00:00

Can anyone help me get the 'Lines:' header into my news messages
please?

I'm running FreeAgent 1.0 & linux FT 1.0.

Each time I post,  the number of lines header field is missing and so
my newsreader makes it look like the article has no body.

Ian.
--
Ian Steel

1. Finding first 'header' of email/news

        I want a way to find the _first_ header of an email/News
        article, but not using C or perl. Here's the scenario:

I have a text file with concatenated email and/or News articles. Each
article has a number of headers that probably vary from one article to
another, both in case of which headers are present and in what order
they appear. No assumptions are made on which email or News readers that
have written to the file. It could look something like this:

    [...]
  Newsgroups: ...
  Subject: ...
    [more headers]
    [News article]
  From ...
    [more headers]
    [email article]

Suppose _one_ of these headers is found in _every_ article, e.g. 'Subject:'.
This is the _only_ header that is supposed to exist in every article.
I want to find the "start" of each article, i.e. the first header that
separates the article from the previous one. There's probably an empty
line separating the articles also, but I don't think that's guaranteed.
Note that the 'Subject:' header itself may be the first header!

I want a solution that finds the line numbers of the first header of
each article containing a 'Subject:' header. Alternatively, it may find
simply the header lines themselves without the line number. As input,
you could have either the line numbers of the existing 'Subject:' headers,
or the complete file in which case you'll have to find the 'Subject:'
headers first.

The solution should use awk, sed, grep or other "standard" UNIX commands
and should be written in a csh-compatible syntax (no flames please!).
I'm _not_ looking for solutions written in C, perl or other languages.

Thanks in advance!
--
   _______   __  __ _     _                       ,------- Michagon -------.
  / _____|\ |  \/  (_)___| |__ ___ __ _ ___ _ __  |   (Thomas Michanek)    |

2. MP3 for Linux

3. How to save specific header line with 'rn' ?

4. Search driver for my video card.

5. Changing Serial Nos using 'brand'

6. IDE corruption with ServerWorks OSB4 and 2.4.18 + Fix

8. How do I get sound???

9. News reading 'off line'

10. implementing options field in the packet's header

11. Request headers - 'Reload', <SHIFT>+'Reload'

12. About the 'TIME' header of the 'ps' command

13. Can ISP detect when dial-ins are 'overloaded' ?