fdisk with large EIDE drives

Post by Walter Schusse » Tue, 30 May 1995 04:00:00

>When the WD 1.2 Gigabyte E-IDE Hard Disk went on sale yesterday for $309 I knew
>the time had come to upgrade my system and install LINUX. I have been

 >The bottom line is that I cannot create any LINUX partitions because fdisk

Quote:>reports that I have a single partition with ID=54 and System=Unknown occupying

ID=54, that's the number of the beast (the Ontrack beast, that is..)

Quote:>the entire hard disk.  No room left for other partitions.  The situation is
>that I have a single DOS partition of 300Mb and figured to leave the remaining

If you want to use just the lower 300 MB for DOS, you don't need the Ontrack
Diskmanager in any case. Just get rid of it! (It has driven me crazy too, when
I installed my WD drive :-((

Quote:

>The DOS partition(s) were created with On-Track Disk Manager.  I don't think I
>have any choice about this because I must also be able to boot DOS and Windows
>on this system. This is a 486DX2/66 system with 16Mb RAM.  I'm using the

No, you *really* don't need the Ontrack crap! I am using a WD 3700 with 350MB
for DOS, 350MB for Linux, *without* Ontrack, and I'm totally happy with it..
Had to reformat the hd in the very beginning to remove Ontrack, though..

Quote:>Any hints or pointers will be most appreciated.  Otherwise I'll have to go
>outside, enjoy this great weather, have a BBQ, and then exchange the CD's for
>FreeBSD.

Excuse me, but I do *not* believe that FreeBSD would handle Ontrack-spoiled
hd's better than Linux does ??!?

/Walter

Post by Jerry Schonewil » Tue, 30 May 1995 04:00:00

When the WD 1.2 Gigabyte E-IDE Hard Disk went on sale yesterday for $309 I knew
the time had come to upgrade my system and install LINUX. I have been
monitoring the comp.os.linux.* groups and related FAQ's and HOWTO's so I was
awareof potential problems with large IDE drives and how to overcome them.  So
much for that theory. Like so many before me, I humbly start this request with
"I know this has been asked before, but ..."

The bottom line is that I cannot create any LINUX partitions because fdisk
reports that I have a single partition with ID=54 and System=Unknown occupying
the entire hard disk.  No room left for other partitions.  The situation is
that I have a single DOS partition of 300Mb and figured to leave the remaining
900Mb for LINUX. As an experiment, I tried creating several DOS partitions of
various sizes but fdisk always sees them as a single unknown-type partition
spanning the entire disk. fdisk also reports that partition 1 does not start on
a cylinder boundry :

       phys=(0,0,2) should be (0,1,1)

The DOS partition(s) were created with On-Track Disk Manager.  I don't think I
have any choice about this because I must also be able to boot DOS and Windows
on this system. This is a 486DX2/66 system with 16Mb RAM.  I'm using the
InfoMagic CD-ROM Slackware 2.2 with kernel 1.2. from the LINUX Developer's
Resource CD_ROM (4-CD Set).  I notice that during the floppy boot/install,
messages about my system indicate that the hard drive is being properly
identified in terms of heads and cylinders, etc.

Got on www.infomagic.com and per the LINUX Developers Resourse CD-ROM tech
support section ftp'd the new COLOR144.gz file which has an older (not new and
improved) fdisk program.  Followed instruction but got the same results
described above.

Any hints or pointers will be most appreciated.  Otherwise I'll have to go
outside, enjoy this great weather, have a BBQ, and then exchange the CD's for
FreeBSD.

regards,

Jerry Schonewille

Jerry Schonewille
San Jose, California, USA

Post by Jerry Schonewil » Wed, 31 May 1995 04:00:00

> (snip)
>ID=54, that's the number of the beast (the Ontrack beast, that is..)
> (snip)
>No, you *really* don't need the Ontrack crap! I am using a WD 3700 with 350MB
>for DOS, 350MB for Linux, *without* Ontrack, and I'm totally happy with it..
>Had to reformat the hd in the very beginning to remove Ontrack, though..
> (snip)

OK, I get the message.  The "Disk Mangler", as it is known by several people who
e-mailed me, is clearly the problem.  All I ever wanted to do is reserve the
first 400 Meg for DOS and the rest for linux so you are right, I do not need
Disk Manager at all.

Quote:

>Excuse me, but I do *not* believe that FreeBSD would handle Ontrack-spoiled
>hd's better than Linux does ??!?

Well, I got frustrated and decided to check out the FreeBSD camp only to
discover they have the same large IDE drive problem.  The only solution offered
there is to switch to Linux (ha ha).  Oh well, if this was easy it would not be
any fun would it.

Jerry Schonewille
San Jose, California, USA

1. HELP! Partition EIDE drive (fdisk)

I partitioned a 1.2G hard drive as such,
256M for a DOS primary,
256M for a DOS extended,
16M for a Linux swap,
330M for a Linux native.

There is about 300M unused and unpartitioned (sector 442-621).
Dos partitions were done using dos FDISK. The two Linux
partitions are resulted from Linux fdisk. I left the remaining
sectors (442-621) untouched and planned for later use for
another unix system such as Unixware.

However, recently when I filled up the 330M dedicated for Linux,
I decided to partition the unused 300M for Linux. When I ran fdisk
from Linux, I got 'No free sectors available' error message at
'n' command. So I couldn't do anything about the unpartitioned
portion of the disk. Any suggestions?

Here is a fdisk print-out:

bash# fdisk /dev/hdb

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hdb: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 621 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot  Begin   Start     End  Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1           1       1     130  262048+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
/dev/hdb2         131     131     260  262080    5  Extended
/dev/hdb3         261     261     269   18144   82  Linux swap
/dev/hdb4         270     270     441  346752   83  Linux native
/dev/hdb5         131     131     260  262048+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M

Command (m for help): n
No free sectors available

Command (m for help):

Thanks.

John Z. Zhu
   Zhongwei Zhu                                 Tel: (303) 497-1586 work
   High Altitude Observatory (HAO)                   (303) 494-4415 home
   National Center for Atmospheric Research     Fax: (303) 497-1589

   Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000           St. addr.: 3450 Mitchell Lane

2. Overwriting Win harddisk boot partition w/ LILO

3. EIDE drive on second IDE channel not found by fdisk

4. T3 Question

5. fdisk 1.5b cannot see my third EIDE drive!

6. chown system call

7. Large EIDE drive installations

8. Blackbox Compile ?

9. Old BIOS, Large EIDE Drive and setmax program

10. Large EIDE drives and Linux

11. Large EIDE Hard Drive

12. Large EIDE drive