what causes kdm to echo "*" vs. no echo for password

what causes kdm to echo "*" vs. no echo for password

Post by Michael E. Sto » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 07:44:00

I changed some netword security settings and kdm no longer echos the
password characters as "*" but just shows nothing.  I cannot find a
setting, or an entry in any configuration file to do this.

Mike

what causes kdm to echo "*" vs. no echo for password

Post by Thomas Papendiec » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 22:18:09

"Michael E. Stora" schrieb:
Quote:

> I changed some netword security settings and kdm no longer echos the
> password characters as "*" but just shows nothing.  I cannot find a
> setting, or an entry in any configuration file to do this.

in KDE open program menu and select:
system->settings->logonmanager

one of the tabs holds an option whether to show one or 3 asterixes per
typed character or no asterixes at all.

Quote:

--

MfG
Thomas Papendieck

eMail is as private as a post card - Please encrypt your answer!
PGP key available at: pgp.ai.mit.edu - port: 11371
ID: 0x273C213E
finger print: 4CB3 2D02 802A 3DA6 0499  0768 4CB1 D301 273C 213E

1. why "" in echo "$FOO" ?

I just read in a book that to one way to find out the value of an
enviroment variable is to give it as the argument to echo, preceded
by a $ and surrounded by double quotes, as in echo "$FOO".  Why
the quotes?  It seems that I get the same results whether I do echo
$FOO or echo "$FOO".

Thanks!

        Karl

--
Sent from a spam-bucket account; I check it once in a blue moon.  If
you still want to e-mail me, cut out the extension from my address,

2. undefined symbols using stl on solaris 5.6

3. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?

4. Sun Keymap file for a PC type keyboard.

5. Why "ping" can't recognize the "icmp: echo reply" message ?

6. how to share win98's printer to linux server?

7. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?

8. Wanted: Consultant to Build Web Server

9. Wierd test behaviour -- [ -z "$var" ] && (echo "true";exit) || echo "false"

10. "umsdos" vs "vfat" vs "looped ext2"

11. telnet echo on/off causes strange crlf echo

12. Local Echo vs Host Echo for tty's

13. if echo; then .vs. if (echo); then