rh5.1 kernel 2.0.34-0.6???

Post by Eugene Blanchar » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hello there

> When you install RedHat 5.1 for the first time, it seems to compile the
> kernel as 2.0.34-0.6.  This is incredibly annoying, as you try to start the
> kernlcfg package and up pops the tk message "I am sorry, but your
> /boot/module-info-2.0.34 file is missing, and I cannot do without it"

> This problem seems to persist when trying to install certain RPMs e.g. 3dfx
> RPMs.  It reads from somewhere that I have a 2.0.34 kernel, and tries to
> find the corresponding module-info file and fails, because the module-info
> file that is in /boot is called /boot/module-info-2.0.34-0.6

> This has to be simple to fix, but I have been pulling my hair out wading
> through usenet and the web for the info.  I can hardly believe that noone
> seems to be having the same problem as me.  Can someone PLEASE point me in
> the right direction?

> Thanks heaps.  I really appreciate it.

> AndyM

Make a softlink in /boot called module-info-2.0.34 that points to
module-info-2.0.34-0.6. This is preferrable to renaming it by using the
mv command as other files may look for the -0.6 file.

rh5.1 kernel 2.0.34-0.6???

Post by andy » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

[...]

Thanks Eugene!

I actually ended up deciding to upgrade to a newer kernel (i'll see how
2.0.35 runs), and also found that there _is_ mention of the prob. w/
kernelcfg in rh's errata... derr!  (Dunno why i didn't see that before)

I tried the symlinking-thang a few weeks ago when trying to install the 3dfx
rpms.  Not the boot stuff, the module stuff : ie. I was in /lib/modules.
Worked, but only kinda  :(  That played havoc with my system on bootup, when
the kernel was trying to load the various modules of my system!!!  (and yes,
I did make a symlink, didn't do a mv)  This is understandable though.  :-(

I reckon I'll have less hassles if I just build a new kernel.  :-)  Thanks
for replying!

Cheers

AndyM

Post by Der Guhvie » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hello there

> When you install RedHat 5.1 for the first time, it seems to compile the
> kernel as 2.0.34-0.6.  This is incredibly annoying, as you try to start the
> kernlcfg package and up pops the tk message "I am sorry, but your
> /boot/module-info-2.0.34 file is missing, and I cannot do without it"

> This problem seems to persist when trying to install certain RPMs e.g. 3dfx
> RPMs.  It reads from somewhere that I have a 2.0.34 kernel, and tries to
> find the corresponding module-info file and fails, because the module-info
> file that is in /boot is called /boot/module-info-2.0.34-0.6

> This has to be simple to fix, but I have been pulling my hair out wading
> through usenet and the web for the info.  I can hardly believe that noone
> seems to be having the same problem as me.  Can someone PLEASE point me in
> the right direction?

I would think that the easiest way would be to rename
everything with the 2.0.34-0.6 extension to 2.0.34
make sure that /etc/lilo.conf is updated as well.

--
Caio                       |Oliver's Law: Experience is something you
The Guhvanoh <ViNyL 4eVeR> |  do not get until just after you need it.

rh5.1 kernel 2.0.34-0.6???

Post by Ignac » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

 >Hello there
 >
 >When you install RedHat 5.1 for the first time, it seems to compile
the
 >kernel as 2.0.34-0.6.  This is incredibly annoying, as you try to
start the
 >kernlcfg package and up pops the tk message "I am sorry, but your
 >/boot/module-info-2.0.34 file is missing, and I cannot do without
it"

 >This problem seems to persist when trying to install certain RPMs
e.g. 3dfx
 >RPMs.  It reads from somewhere that I have a 2.0.34 kernel, and
tries to
 >find the corresponding module-info file and fails, because the
module-info
 >file that is in /boot is called /boot/module-info-2.0.34-0.6
 >
 >This has to be simple to fix, but I have been pulling my hair out
wading
 >through usenet and the web for the info.  I can hardly believe that
noone
 >seems to be having the same problem as me.  Can someone PLEASE point
me in
 >the right direction?
 >
 >Thanks heaps.  I really appreciate it.
 >
 >AndyM

Red Hat has errata for kernelcfg at their website. Check it out, and
don't forget to get the other packages as well, especially glint,
since so many people have been complaining about it.

rh5.1 kernel 2.0.34-0.6???

Post by andy » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>  >Hello there

>  >When you install RedHat 5.1 for the first time, it seems to compile
> the
>  >kernel as 2.0.34-0.6.  This is incredibly annoying, as you try to
> start the
>  >kernlcfg package and up pops the tk message "I am sorry, but your
>  >/boot/module-info-2.0.34 file is missing, and I cannot do without
> it"

>  >This problem seems to persist when trying to install certain RPMs
> e.g. 3dfx
>  >RPMs.  It reads from somewhere that I have a 2.0.34 kernel, and
> tries to
>  >find the corresponding module-info file and fails, because the
> module-info
>  >file that is in /boot is called /boot/module-info-2.0.34-0.6

>  >This has to be simple to fix, but I have been pulling my hair out
> wading
>  >through usenet and the web for the info.  I can hardly believe that
> noone
>  >seems to be having the same problem as me.  Can someone PLEASE point
> me in
>  >the right direction?

>  >Thanks heaps.  I really appreciate it.

>  >AndyM

> Red Hat has errata for kernelcfg at their website. Check it out, and
> don't forget to get the other packages as well, especially glint,
> since so many people have been complaining about it.

  yeh ta ... i checked it out just after i posted and found the kernelcfg
fix.  The _real_ problem I am now having is when I'm trying to install
the 3dfx device driver (from http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxRPMS.html )
it's having probs, as it uses an install script that checks what kernel
i'm running so that it can put the necessary module in
/lib/modules/2.0.blah.  The problem *is* it's working out I have a 2.0.35
kernel (I just upgraded it) and tries to put things in
/lib/modules/2.0.35  fine, apart from the fact that rh uses this
2.0.35-blah (in this case, 2.0.35-2) convention  and the rpm doesn't
install.  i.e. (and yes, you are supposed to do a --rebuild :p )

Installing Device3Dfx-1-3.src.rpm
Executing: %prep
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ rm -rf Device3Dfx-1
+ /bin/mkdir -p Device3Dfx-1
+ cd Device3Dfx-1
+ /bin/gzip -dc /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/Dev3Dfx.tar.gz
+ tar -xvvf -
drwxrwxr-x daryll/daryll     0 1998-06-23 13:14 ./
-rw-rw-r-- daryll/daryll 10583 1998-06-23 13:14 3dfx.c
-rw-rw-r-- daryll/daryll    51 1998-06-09 14:40 Makefile
+ STATUS=0
+ [ 0 -ne 0 ]
+ chown -R root .
+ chgrp -R root .
+ chmod -R a+rX,g-w,o-w .
+ exit 0
Executing: %build
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ cd Device3Dfx-1
+ make
cc -Wall -O2 -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__   -c 3dfx.c -o 3dfx.o
+ [ ! -c /dev/3dfx ]
+ mknod /dev/3dfx c 107 0
+ exit 0
Executing: %install
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ cd Device3Dfx-1
++ uname -r
+ cp 3dfx.o /lib/modules/2.0.35/misc
cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/modules/2.0.35/misc': No such file
or direc
tory
Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.44837 (%install)

A couple of months ago i tried the same thing, and to try to fix it i
made a symllink in /lib/modules called 2.0.34 for 2.0.34-0.6  Yes the RPM
installed but my kernel wasn't too happy  :)   It couldn't find the
original modules e.g. sound, ppp.....    so that was great

Is there any way to parse the correct info to the rpm???  or pull the rpm
apart and change the %install script???

Anyway, thanks to anyone who has helped/ will help.  :)

andym

1. Make problems re-compiling kernel 2.0.34-0.6

Would someone please explain the following messages:

make[1] as86: Command not found
make[1] ***[bootsect.o] Error 127
make[1] Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/arch/i386/boot'
make *** [zImage] Error 2

Trying to re-compile kernel for 2.0.34-0.6 with the following updates:
initscripts-3.67-1.i386.rpm
kernelcfg-0.4-8.i386.rpm

The updated rpm packages noted above were successfully installed prior to
issuing the following commands in sequence:

make config
make dep
make clean
make zImage

Thanks for your help!

Jerry

2. diamond monster fusion PCI

3. Error log ppp.2.3.5 w/ Red Hat 5.1 (2.0.34-0.6)

4. CD-ROMS mounted under pcsim

5. Troubles at runtime with calloc under lesstif-0.82/RH5.0/2.0.34 Kernel]

6. serial ioctl not returning with 2.4.3

7. Problems compiling kernel 2.0.34 on RH5, HELP!

8. ESSAY: Must We Become Microsoft-watchers?

9. can't compile kernel 2.0.34 on xl266 with rh5.1

10. hacked with bind 8.2.3-0.6.x, is-it possible ?

11. modutils-2.3.20-0.6.2.1.i386.rpm

12. ext2 corrupt (2.0.34, rh5.1)

13. 2.0.34 -> 2.2.6 on RH5.1