HELP! Redhat Steup Problem

Post by alameh » Mon, 30 Dec 2002 07:07:09

Hi all,
I am a Newbie in Linux!
I have just succeeded to install Redhat 8.0. During the installation, i was
asked for an Admin password, and not for a username, and after a successfull
Installation, the login screen wants me to enter the login name and a
password, i know the password that i gave in the installation, but not a
username. My question: what is the "standard" login name, that redhat
assigns, so i can use it? Or is there anyway to use linux as an admin or
user, without reinstalling?

Thanx
alamo

HELP! Redhat Steup Problem

Post by Ed Bab » Mon, 30 Dec 2002 07:11:42

Use the name "root"
Ed

Quote:> Hi all,
> I am a Newbie in Linux!
> I have just succeeded to install Redhat 8.0. During the installation, i
was
> asked for an Admin password, and not for a username, and after a
successfull
> Installation, the login screen wants me to enter the login name and a
> password, i know the password that i gave in the installation, but not a
> username. My question: what is the "standard" login name, that redhat
> assigns, so i can use it? Or is there anyway to use linux as an admin or
> user, without reinstalling?

> Thanx
> alamo

HELP! Redhat Steup Problem

Post by Michael Heimin » Mon, 30 Dec 2002 07:16:55

> I have just succeeded to install Redhat 8.0. During the installation, i was
> asked for an Admin password, and not for a username, and after a successfull
> Installation, the login screen wants me to enter the login name and a
> password, i know the password that i gave in the installation, but not a
> username. My question: what is the "standard" login name, that redhat
> assigns, so i can use it? Or is there anyway to use linux as an admin or
> user, without reinstalling?

Try:
root

Michael Heiming
inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

HELP! Redhat Steup Problem

Post by alameh » Mon, 30 Dec 2002 07:51:18

Thanx guys for the fast reply!
I am now ready to explore and enjoy, and be a linux fan

Quote:> Hi all,
> I am a Newbie in Linux!
> I have just succeeded to install Redhat 8.0. During the installation, i
was
> asked for an Admin password, and not for a username, and after a
successfull
> Installation, the login screen wants me to enter the login name and a
> password, i know the password that i gave in the installation, but not a
> username. My question: what is the "standard" login name, that redhat
> assigns, so i can use it? Or is there anyway to use linux as an admin or
> user, without reinstalling?

> Thanx
> alamo

HELP! Redhat Steup Problem

Post by Davi » Mon, 30 Dec 2002 09:57:01

> Thanx guys for the fast reply!
> I am now ready to explore and enjoy, and be a linux fan

Not running as root I hope??

--
   Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.

HELP! Redhat Steup Problem

Post by bgfa » Mon, 30 Dec 2002 22:29:25

> Thanx guys for the fast reply!
> I am now ready to explore and enjoy, and be a linux fan

>>Hi all,
>>I am a Newbie in Linux!
>>I have just succeeded to install Redhat 8.0. During the installation, i

> was

>>asked for an Admin password, and not for a username, and after a

> successfull

>>Installation, the login screen wants me to enter the login name and a
>>password, i know the password that i gave in the installation, but not a
>>username. My question: what is the "standard" login name, that redhat
>>assigns, so i can use it? Or is there anyway to use linux as an admin or
>>user, without reinstalling?

>>Thanx
>>alamo

Two things:

1. Create a non-root user account now. If you don't know how to do that,
post here and someone will tell you.

2. Post replies to the bottom of the message.
--
bgfay

HELP! Redhat Steup Problem

Post by Michael Heimin » Mon, 30 Dec 2002 22:40:41

> 1. Create a non-root user account now. If you don't know how to do that,
> post here and someone will tell you.

> 2. Post replies to the bottom of the message.

3. Trim your reply.
;)

Michael Heiming
inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

HELP! Redhat Steup Problem

Post by alameh » Mon, 30 Dec 2002 23:13:50

I created a non-root user, but why not as root?

I still have 3 severe problems to solve:
1- my eth card (realtek 8139) can't be configuired
2- my sound blaster live
3- Adsl configuration

Before i begin searching and tring, any tipps?

Thanx

HELP! Redhat Steup Problem

Post by Michael Heimin » Mon, 30 Dec 2002 23:30:40

> I created a non-root user, but why not as root?

Good. It's pretty easy to muck up your whole system
with a few keystrokes as root, the system won't
ask "do you really want...", it will execute no
matter how dump your command was.

As user, you can only destroy your $HOME.

Quote:> I still have 3 severe problems to solve:
> 1- my eth card (realtek 8139) can't be configuired
> 2- my sound blaster live
> 3- Adsl configuration

> Before i begin searching and tring, any tipps?

First try searching, if it doesn't help you along,
post questions, that doesn't relate as single
question. Include enough info to make it possible,
to help you.

Good luck

Post by bgfa » Tue, 31 Dec 2002 02:01:41

> 3. Trim your reply.

good point.
--
bgfay

HELP! Redhat Steup Problem

Post by bgfa » Tue, 31 Dec 2002 02:04:21

> I created a non-root user, but why not as root?

First, I'm a new user too and know almost nothing.
That said, order _Running Linux_ and read it. I've got the 3rd ed which
is a bit long in the tooth, but will get you going. If you are an amazon
shopper, they have used copies for about seven bucks. It's a book that
will get you up to speed on things like your question above and it's
well written.
--
bgfay

HELP! Redhat Steup Problem

Post by Countersp » Tue, 31 Dec 2002 06:19:57

>> I created a non-root user, but why not as root?

> First, I'm a new user too and know almost nothing.
> That said, order _Running Linux_ and read it. I've got the 3rd ed which
> is a bit long in the tooth, but will get you going. If you are an amazon
> shopper, they have used copies for about seven bucks. It's a book that
> will get you up to speed on things like your question above and it's
> well written.

Do not spend your money on an out-of-date expensive book no matter how
good it was then. See this site for an excellent book free for the
downloading: http://freshmeat.net/projects/rute/?topic_id=90%2C154%2C69.
The other site that you should get to know is http://tldp.org, the Linux
Documentation Project. Start with it first and then concern yourself
with Rute.

Counterspy