Modem Com settings? (Slow Modem)

Post by (Cybiades) Peter » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

> I know this has been asked before and I searched dejanews looking
> through the replies.

> My modem is slow even though it's connecting supposedly at the correct
> speed to my isp. (42000)

Did you use setserial to set the baud rate to 115200, spd_vhi, 16550A
etc? If you don't, I think it defaults to something crummy like 4800 bps
baud rate...make sure your setserial line in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit is
updated to reflect this.
HTH
'Later
Peter

--
Cybiades: Computing For Fun
http://www.ticnet.com/azenomei/fels/fels.html

Post by Lagarti » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I know this has been asked before and I searched dejanews looking
through the replies.

My modem is slow even though it's connecting supposedly at the correct
speed to my isp. (42000)

I read that usually this is related to an irq conflict.  Does this
mean I need to change the com my modem is using?

In Windows I'm forced to using my modem (56k) with COM 3.  I've tried
to change it there but no luck.  I haven't tried in Linux yet can
anyone tell me more about this?

Thank you for your help.
Stuart

Post by David A. Frant » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I know this has been asked before and I searched dejanews looking
> through the replies.

> My modem is slow even though it's connecting supposedly at the correct
> speed to my isp. (42000)

> I read that usually this is related to an irq conflict.  Does this
> mean I need to change the com my modem is using?

> In Windows I'm forced to using my modem (56k) with COM 3.  I've tried
> to change it there but no luck.  I haven't tried in Linux yet can
> anyone tell me more about this?

> Thank you for your help.
> Stuart

Lagartija;

Read up on the setserial command this is were you correct the
interrupt.    You will have to find out what the interrupt is set to on
the Modem Card, or the Com3 serial card, which ever you have.    That
setting would then become the IRQ value for setserial.    Setserial has
alot of features so I can't go into all the details here, the man page
are very good, so check them out.

I've installed and runned my modem as Com3 on IRQ 5 for some time now,
works great.     best of luck

Dave

Post by Lucky. W » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I know this has been asked before and I searched dejanews looking
> through the replies.

> My modem is slow even though it's connecting supposedly at the correct
> speed to my isp. (42000)

> I read that usually this is related to an irq conflict.  Does this
> mean I need to change the com my modem is using?

> In Windows I'm forced to using my modem (56k) with COM 3.  I've tried
> to change it there but no luck.  I haven't tried in Linux yet can
> anyone tell me more about this?

> Thank you for your help.
> Stuart

Go to Windows, find out IRQ and port address first.

2 things you can try:

   * run pnpdump > isapnp.conf; read man page on isapnp; make some
     changes; isapnp  isapnp.conf
   * run /sbin/setserial  /dev/cua3 uart 16550 port PortAddress  irq
     IRQ_NUMBER spd_hi