help with keyboard(?), KDE

Post by Ron Ros » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I'm still experimenting with a loopback Linux installation (PhatLinux:
sort of based on Red Hat or Mandrake) and mucked things up a while ago,
but have mostly got things running adequately again. However, all's not
perfectly well. Sometimes (1 out of 6 or 7) KDE konks out just afer I
launch it, and sometimes the applications blink out on me: no beep, no
message, they just disappear (really gone: they don't appear in the
process list, Kde's or ps). When it happened with Netscape, well,
Netscape's buggy, and when with AbiWord, I figured AbiWord is beta; but
when Emacs went out ...

I see the following message above the prompt at every exit from X, even
when all goes seemingly well (which is mostly the case):

    (--) Mach64: Virtual resolution: 1024x768
    (--) Mach64: Video RAM: 8192k
    (--) Mach64: Using hardware cursor

    (--) Mach64: Ramdac is Internal
    (--) Mach64: Ramdac speed: 230 MHz
    (**) Mach64: Color weight: 565
    (--) Mach64: Pixmap cache: 2 256x256 slots, 8 128x128 slots, 32 64x64 slots
    (--) Mach64: Font cache: 16 fonts
    KiKbd: X11 error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    KiKbd: X11 error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    KiKbd: X11 error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    KiKbd: X11 error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    KiKbd: X11 error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    KiKbd: X11 error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    KiKbd: X11 error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    KiKbd: X11 error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    Colortype 6 is rgb/alpha
    Colortype 6 is rgb/alpha
    KiKbd: X11 error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)

    waiting for X server to shut down

Not always exactly like this, but _always_ this business about invalid
Window parameters, sometimes with references to specific Window id
numbers, sometimes with

    KCharset: Wrong charset!

and sometimes with another line referencing the display driver (Mach64)
followed on the same line with a big uppercase "WARNING" about "Q <
10.06666" (sorry, I don't have a copy as it hasn't occured the last
couple of times and I'm back in Windoze now;-(.

Am I right in guessing that "KiKbd" has something to do with the
keyboard? I coudn't find any file called KiKbd, not in the path anyway.

I did have problems reconfiguring the keyboard, due to confusion in
distinguishing keyboard layout from keyboard map. It is now set to "us"
in XF86Config and to the Canadian French (cf.kmap.gz) keyboard map and
works well in KDE, though not in the console (where Capslock/Control
switch isn't recognized, nor the extended latin-1 characters, which is
strange, because the mapping of the other keys in console mode _does_
correspond to the cf map: "/" above the "3" instead of down in the right
hand corner, for instance.)

So, this probably all looks like a muddle, and I probably can't expect
an instant solution, but any hints about where to start looking
concerning "KiKbd", on the one hand, and about the "... Mach64 WARNING!
Q < 10.66666", on the other, are more than welcome.

As always, thanks in advance,

Ron Ross