SuSE 5.2 YaST always starts?

Post by David Johnsto » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

dejanews.com writes

Quote:>hello,

>i'm currently installing SuSE 5.2 and having a problem that whenever SuSE
>boots up it says YaST needs to install somethings (but it doesn't).  i'd
>kinda like to get rid of this but haven't been able to find anything on the
>net so far (SuSE's site or linuxresources).  is there some config line that i
>can take out or something?  HELP!

>-erik

I had this problem with SuSE 5.3 until I realised what was happening.

After you've installed, some configuration scripts are still running in
the background. If you shutdown your system before these scripts have
chance to finish, YaST wants to load on the next boot so it can restart
the scripts and finish the configuration. The solution is to not
shutdown your machine before the scripts have finished (waiting half an
hour should be fine). On subsequent reboots, YaST should not need run.

--
David Johnston

SuSE 5.2 YaST always starts?

Post by pe.. » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> After you've installed, some configuration scripts are still running in
> the background. If you shutdown your system before these scripts have
> chance to finish, YaST wants to load on the next boot so it can restart
> the scripts and finish the configuration. The solution is to not
> shutdown your machine before the scripts have finished (waiting half an
> hour should be fine). On subsequent reboots, YaST should not need run.

IIRC the output of the scripts is displayed on console 9 (press CTRL+ALT+F9
to see it) and a message is mailed once the scripts finish.

   Peter

   Throughout  this  HOWTO, a  manual  entry  is simply referred to as a
   man page, regardless of actual length and without  sexist  intention.
                                              [The Linux Man-Page-Howto]

1. Suse 5.2 & YaST question.

When I boot up my Linux system, for some reason it thinks YaST hasn't
finished the install process and starts it up for me. How nice.  Thing
is, I did  finish the install & setup.
I've been looking at the boot scripts and so far I haven't been able to
tell why Linux thinks YaST still has some configuring to do.
Shortly after I see the message that it's running the boot.local script,
It tells me Yast isn't done and starts it for me.
Can someone familiar with Suse 5.2 tell me what I'm missing?
Why does it want to start Yast every time I reboot?

TIA,
Jason.

2. KMySqlAdmin Problem on Mandrake 7.0

3. SuSE 5.2 YaST: configuring window managers...

4. IDE caching-controller problems?

5. suse 6.3, yast 2 installtion, any way to do yast 1?

6. Problem with kernel nfs server in 2.4.17-rc1

7. S.u.S.E. yast starts up during boot

8. Need csh reference

9. S.U.S.E. yast starts up on boot

10. S.u.S.e 5.2 YaST format prob

11. Tulip Driver worked under RH 5.0, doesn't under 5.2 or SuSE 5.2, any ideas?

12. SuSE 5.2 or SuSE 5.3

13. SuSE 5.3 or SuSE 5.2?