How to do autopower off on Linux

Post by huan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have an HP pavilion 4535(if that info helps) - with windows 98 and linux
loaded on it.
Is there a way to make linux do turn off  the hard drives and put the system
in power save mode if it has not been utilised for some time
Thanks

Post by LC » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:52:26

>I have an HP pavilion 4535(if that info helps) - with windows 98 and linux
>loaded on it.
>Is there a way to make linux do turn off  the hard drives and put the system
>in power save mode if it has not been utilised for some time
>Thanks

You need to do two things:

First - make sure that APM (advanced power management) is ENABLED in
your BIOS Setup (also called CMOS Setup, or System Configuration, or
System Hardware Configuration)  I do not know specifically how to
access the HP Pavilion's BIOS setup, but your User Manual should tell
you how.

Second - set up APMD (advanced power management daemon) to start
automatically in Linux.  (probably in one of your rc. files, depending
on which Linux distribution you run.)
Read the APMD man page (man apmd) to find out how to get APMD running.
This will actually interpret the BIOS APMD commands and shut down the
appropriate parts of your hardware, while notifying the appropriate
parts of the Linux software.

Good luck!

Larry MacNeill

Post by Ron Ros » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:06:06

> I have an HP pavilion 4535(if that info helps) - with windows 98 and linux
> loaded on it.
> Is there a way to make linux do turn off  the hard drives and put the system
> in power save mode if it has not been utilised for some time

Check the info on the 'hdparm' utility ('man hdparm'). It has peculiar
way of working, but it's straightforward and can do a lot more as well.

I would also like to know how to do the same for the monitor.

Post by Mathia » Tue, 31 Oct 2000 00:47:34

> > I have an HP pavilion 4535(if that info helps) - with windows 98 and linux
> > loaded on it.
> > Is there a way to make linux do turn off  the hard drives and put the system
> > in power save mode if it has not been utilised for some time

> Check the info on the 'hdparm' utility ('man hdparm'). It has peculiar
> way of working, but it's straightforward and can do a lot more as well.

> I would also like to know how to do the same for the monitor.

no. hdparm would not help much.

you need "acm" support compiled into your kernel.
then it will power-down on an init 0.
(i tried it with an laptop & suse-linux 7, worked fine.)

How to do autopower off on Linux

Post by Ronnie_J_B.. » Sat, 04 Nov 2000 05:46:03

There are several responses to this question in this month's Linux
Journal, I should know because I posted this same question to LJ.

How to do autopower off on Linux

Post by Lee Zimmerma » Sat, 04 Nov 2000 09:44:37

Making the monitor power down is easy, at least wth Red Hat 7 - there is a radio
button on the screen saver settings panel in the Gnome Configuration Tool that
says "use power management" and gives you the option for how many minutes after
the screensaver kicks in to turn the monitor off. This worked on two different
systems I have flawlessly.

Lee Zimmerman

Post by Ron Ros » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Making the monitor power down is easy, at least wth Red Hat 7 - there is a radio
> button on the screen saver settings panel in the Gnome Configuration Tool that
> says "use power management" and gives you the option for how many minutes after
> the screensaver kicks in to turn the monitor off. This worked on two different
> systems I have flawlessly.

Thanks for the reply. This doesn't seem to be the case for me, however.
First, I'm running Bigslack (Slackware 7) with Gnome installed (1.2.1, I
believe), though I don't run Gnome but use only Enlightenment, which
allows easy pop-up menu access to Gnome and Kde apps. When I bring up
the Gnome "Control Center," I find no power management option in the
screen saver settings panel (or anywhere else). I know I once saw this
feature in the Kde screen saver configuration in another distro. How
would I go about incorporating this? Do these power management settings,
when they exist, depend on a certain program that I could install and
configure from the command line?

TIA

Ron

> > > I have an HP pavilion 4535(if that info helps) - with windows 98 and linux
> > > loaded on it.
> > > Is there a way to make linux do turn off  the hard drives and put the system
> > > in power save mode if it has not been utilised for some time

> > Check the info on the 'hdparm' utility ('man hdparm'). It has peculiar
> > way of working, but it's straightforward and can do a lot more as well.

> > I would also like to know how to do the same for the monitor.

1. Shutdown and autopower off problem on K6-2

Since I've upgraded to a K6-2 300 & MVP3 motherboard from a PentiumPro
200 the autopower off on shutdown causes a general protection crash to
occur and the machine doesn't power off. I'm running RedHat 5.1 &
2.0.35.

Apart from the shutdown problem there are no other problems. Anybody
else seen this problem. I've recompiled the kernel since installing
the new CPU/Motherboard and it still fails.

2. Linux install Question

3. HELP! boot off DOS instead of Linux

4. send() call fails

6. Telnet and ftp question?

7. Turn off Linux like Dos

8. Can't patch in Solaris 7

9. DOS client network boot off of a Linux server

10. Booting off a disk and running Linux from a dos directory: Possible?

11. Booting Linux off the primary hdd, win95 off the secondary using LILO

12. Mount DOS on DOS machine from LINUX on LINUX machine

13. Reading files off a DOS formatted floppy disk