Printing with an Epson Stylus Color 400

Post by Peter Bradle » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I am posting this as Caldera support have said that they are beaten.
Many apologies for the length of the posting, but I thought you would
like as much info as possible right from the start.

I have Caldera OpenLinux 1.1 installed, with the KDE desktop.

The printer is installed according to the recommendations at:

http://www.caldera.com/support/techguide/styluscolor.html

This means that GhostScript 5.10 is installed, and that lpr is supposed
to use the following filter which I have in /var/spool/lpd/ps/filter:

#!/bin/sh

UPP=stc
PAPERSIZE=a4

if [ "$PAPERSIZE" = "a4" ]; then
    T=A4
else
    T=US
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/nenscript ]; then
    nenscript -T$T -ZB -p-
else
    if [ "$T" = "US" ]; then
        T="Letter"
    fi
    enscript -M $T -Z -p -
fi |
        exec 3>&1 1>&2

exit 0

/etc/printcap says:

##PRINTTOOL## LOCAL stcolor 720x720 a4 {}
ps:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ps:\
    :mx#0:\
    :lp=/dev/lp1:\
    :if=/var/spool/lpd/ps/filter:\
    :sh:
##PRINTTOOL## LOCAL
lp:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
:mx#0:\
:lp=/dev/lp1:\
:sh:

If I call nenscript on a text file and direct the output to a file, it
produces a PostScript file i.e.

nenscript -TA4 -ZB -pprintcap.ps /etc/printcap

works OK.

If I now call GhostScript on the PostScript file

It prints the file OK.  (Well it omits the first 3 lines actually, but
at least what it does print is correct - Courier 10 etc).  Similarly if
I use the same command on any of the GhostScript example files (e.g.
tiger.ps), they print just fine.

However, if I try to use lpr to print any kind of file I get no output
at all.  lpr goes to the filter OK (i.e. I can add a command to the
start of filter like `echo "In filter"` and it prints it (to the printer
- so presumably stdout is to the printer -- inherited from lpr??).  It
also prints the GS> prompt.

If I put the "echo" command in the "if" statement, it does not print (or
in the else) - presumably it gets lost in the pipe somewhere.

If anyone can help I will be eternally grateful and possibly for longer.

Regards

Peter

Printing with an Epson Stylus Color 400

Post by Kurt Wa » Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Using recycled bits, Peter Bradley blurted out:

[snip Caldera instructions]

%
%nenscript -TA4 -ZB -pprintcap.ps /etc/printcap
%
%works OK.
%
%If I now call GhostScript on the PostScript file
%

%
%However, if I try to use lpr to print any kind of file I get no output
%at all.  lpr goes to the filter OK (i.e. I can add a command to the
%start of filter like `echo "In filter"` and it prints it (to the printer
%- so presumably stdout is to the printer -- inherited from lpr??).  It
%also prints the GS> prompt.

Do you have LPD runnning?  What are the permissions and ownership on
/dev/lp1.  They should be something like:

crw-rw----   1 root     daemon     6,   1 Aug 19 02:22 /dev/lp1

Does 1.1 use the LPRng suite?

--
Kurt Wall
Informix on Linux FAQ: http://www.users.uswest.net/~kwall/iolfaq.html

Post by Peter Bradle » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Using recycled bits, Peter Bradley blurted out:

> [snip Caldera instructions]

> %If I call nenscript on a text file and direct the output to a file, it
> %produces a PostScript file i.e.
> %
> %nenscript -TA4 -ZB -pprintcap.ps /etc/printcap
> %
> %works OK.
> %
> %If I now call GhostScript on the PostScript file
> %

> %
> %However, if I try to use lpr to print any kind of file I get no output
> %at all.  lpr goes to the filter OK (i.e. I can add a command to the
> %start of filter like `echo "In filter"` and it prints it (to the printer
> %- so presumably stdout is to the printer -- inherited from lpr??).  It
> %also prints the GS> prompt.

> Do you have LPD runnning?  What are the permissions and ownership on
> /dev/lp1.  They should be something like:

> crw-rw----   1 root     daemon     6,   1 Aug 19 02:22 /dev/lp1

> Does 1.1 use the LPRng suite?

> --
> Kurt Wall
> Informix on Linux FAQ: http://www.users.uswest.net/~kwall/iolfaq.html

(Copy of reply via private channel - sorry if that was not the thing to do.
Perhaps someone could let me know - politely?)

Kurt,

First of all, thank you for taking an interest.

and restart it and then try again with the same results), the permissions on

/dev/lp1 are exactly as you give them (apart from the timestamp of course).
As for the LPRng version, I don't know.  It's the version that came with
Caldera OpenLinux 1.1 base.  'glint' says LPRng 2.3.11-3.

Hope this helps you to come up with something.  (If I sound desperate, it's
because I am.  An OS without a printer is like - well something that didn't
ought to be without something else :-)

I hope to hear from you again.

But thanks anyway,

Peter

1. ghostscript printing of files to Epson Stylus Colour 400

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a printing problem I
am having. I am attempting to print postscript files on my
Epson Stylus Colour 400 printer from Linux using ghostscript.

If I do the following:

gs -sDEVICE =x11 foo.ps

I see on the screen precisely what I want printed. I then tried:

gs -sDEVICE=epsonc -dNOPAUSE foo.ps

Which doesn't complain about missing fonts, or give any
postscript errors, but nothing prints. So, I tested my printer
by sending an ASCII file to it using lpr:

lpr testfile.txt

Which prints perfectly. So, I tried this command:

gs -sDEVICE=epsonc -sOutputFile=foo.epsom -dNOPAUSE  foo.ps

There were no reported postscript problems (Eg: missing
font or anything), and the foo.epsom file had lots of binary
data in it. I then tried to print the file with:

lpr foo.epsom

And all I got was junk. I even tried sending the file directly
to the printer device using cat, but that didn't help either. Still
lots of junk - certainly nothing even remotely similar to
the displayed x11 output. The things printed just appeared to
be some of the printable numbers in the file.

Am I doing something wrong here? I can't figure it out
since the print daemon and lpr seem OK when I send
text files.

I'd be very grateful for any help. Please cc your reply to
me by email,

Thanks,

- Huw Coxon

2. stop logging to users

3. Epson Stylus Color 400 Problems

4. Doom for Linux? No...

5. EPSON Stylus Color 400 Drivers

6. what is a "normal" amount of time for a reboot?

7. Printer Problem: Epson Colour Stylus 400

8. Detecting if the link is up on eth0 device

9. Epson Stylus Color 400 & SO5.0

10. EPSON Stylus Color 400

11. Epson Stylus Color 400 printer installation

12. Epson Stylus Color 400 and Ghostscript Uniprint

13. Epson Stylus Color 400 Support