Default MP3 Player?

Post by root » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 12:46:03

Hi!

I've recently instaled RedHat 7 onto my PC. I've been successful in
getting my MX300 to work, but have a small problem.

When I double-click an MP3 file in Gnome, it starts the default player
"mpg123". I'd prefer if it would start "xmms". I've tried to edit the
actions for the mime type "audio/x-mp3" by making "xmms %f" the OPEN
action and "mpg123 %f" the VIEW option. Now double clicking does
nothing. Right click and VIEW starts mpg123 just as a double click used
to do. I have tried specifying the whole path to xmms (/usr/bin/xmms
"%f") with no luck.

What am I doing wrong?

SS

Post by dj.. » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 12:03:14

What you are doing wrong is really nothing, it comes down to the fact
that mime-types are still very undeveloped.  I have had times where I
changed the mime-type to a different ap and it worked fine...other
times I would change it, then go back and find it back to the old
way...even though I saved the change...and I would do it over and over
again to no avail, trying root and user...The best way to try to tweak
it to work is to delete the mime-type, which in gnome just restores
the original setting, and try again.  If someone has a better answer,
I am all ears.

Dan

>Hi!

>I've recently instaled RedHat 7 onto my PC. I've been successful in
>getting my MX300 to work, but have a small problem.

>When I double-click an MP3 file in Gnome, it starts the default player
>"mpg123". I'd prefer if it would start "xmms". I've tried to edit the
>actions for the mime type "audio/x-mp3" by making "xmms %f" the OPEN
>action and "mpg123 %f" the VIEW option. Now double clicking does
>nothing. Right click and VIEW starts mpg123 just as a double click used
>to do. I have tried specifying the whole path to xmms (/usr/bin/xmms
>"%f") with no luck.

>What am I doing wrong?

>SS

Post by N S Srikant » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Did you simply right click? Then you may get an option" play using XMMS".
Try it

Quote:> Hi!

> I've recently instaled RedHat 7 onto my PC. I've been successful in
> getting my MX300 to work, but have a small problem.

> When I double-click an MP3 file in Gnome, it starts the default player
> "mpg123". I'd prefer if it would start "xmms". I've tried to edit the
> actions for the mime type "audio/x-mp3" by making "xmms %f" the OPEN
> action and "mpg123 %f" the VIEW option. Now double clicking does
> nothing. Right click and VIEW starts mpg123 just as a double click used
> to do. I have tried specifying the whole path to xmms (/usr/bin/xmms
> "%f") with no luck.

> What am I doing wrong?

> SS

1. Need mp3 to mpy file converter for RCA Lyra RD1080 mp3 player

I have an RCA Lyra RD1080 mp3 player which connects through USB to my
computer running Fedora Core 2. I can read and copy files from its
filesystem just fine. However, the Lyra uses mpy files, (its proprietary
format) rather than mp3 files. Thus I need to convert my mp3 files prior
to downloading them to the Lyra. This is done under Windows using
MusicMatch Jukebox, but there is no Linux version of that program (there
was a beta version in 2001, but apparently it was never continued).

I have serached the web extensively to find an mp3 to mpy file
converter, with no luck.

Does anyone have a program that converts mp3 files to mpy files? Without
it, my player is useless with Linux.

Thanks

John McFee

2. NFS mounts only work one direction

3. MP3 Player 4 MP3 CD's?

4. Media Vision CDROM thru PAS-16

5. Sound, Real Player, and MP3 players

6. Bus Error w/ qsort()

7. CD Player and MP3 Player for Solaris 8

8. file version

9. MP3 Player & VCD Player

10. Compact Flash Mem for mp3 player (RCA Lyra)

11. where can i find a mp3 player

12. mp3 player with Linux support

13. mp3 files player in redhat 8 x kde ?