AST Ascentia 950N problems

Post by Bill Whitin » Sun, 08 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to install linux on an AST Ascentia laptop.  I have
partitioned the disk by hand (booted from slakware floppies, fdisk'ed,
and ran mke2fs).  I can get linux to boot from the hard disk, but it
will eventually fail with hard disk errors.  The system had been running
with windoze for quite some time before I started trying to load a real
os, so I tend to think that it's not a hardware problem.

Has anyone out there successfully loaded linux on a system like this?

Thanks,
Bill Whiting

AST Ascentia 950N problems

Post by Neil DeBo » Mon, 09 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm trying to install linux on an AST Ascentia laptop.  I have
>partitioned the disk by hand (booted from slakware floppies, fdisk'ed,
>and ran mke2fs).  I can get linux to boot from the hard disk, but it
>will eventually fail with hard disk errors.  The system had been running
>with windoze for quite some time before I started trying to load a real
>os, so I tend to think that it's not a hardware problem.

I wouldn't rule out hardware problems with a 950N, especially if you
haven't run scandisk on it lately.  I've had problems with 950N's in the
past (and also 910N's, 900N's....), especially with hard drive errors.

Neil

--
*** Neil DeBoni    2A Computer Science/Info Systems, University of Waterloo

*** http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~ncdeboni
"I don't have a solution, but I admire the problem." -- Ashleigh Brilliant

AST Ascentia 950N problems

Post by Klaus Lichtenwalde » Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I'm trying to install linux on an AST Ascentia laptop.  I have
> partitioned the disk by hand (booted from slakware floppies, fdisk'ed,
> and ran mke2fs).  I can get linux to boot from the hard disk, but it
> will eventually fail with hard disk errors.  The system had been running
> with windoze for quite some time before I started trying to load a real
> os, so I tend to think that it's not a hardware problem.

> Has anyone out there successfully loaded linux on a system like this?

Yes, I'm running Linux on an 950N for about 9 months now, now
problems. Might as well be your hd and some more stringent timings?

Klaus

 Check out Oregon vs. Schwartz:  http://www.lightlink.com/spacenka/fors

1. XF86Config - AST Ascentia 950N Dual-Scan

Subject pretty much says it all.  I'm looking for an XF86Config
file for an AST Ascentia 950N with a _Dual-Scan_ LCD screen.

I found the hacked server for the CL7543 chipset, but the
XF86Config's I've seen that accompany it are for the active matrix
950N.  I tried using that config (before I realized it was for
active matrix only), and got 'garbage' all over the screen.

I do have X working with the notebook now, but with the VGA server,
and by selected one of the other chipsets with the xf86config
utility (CL65xx? I can't remember).

If anyone can provide a config file so I can run X in 800x600,
please let me know.  Many thanks!

Andrew
//----------------------------------------------------------------

// university of illinois      http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/atbrown1
//----------------------------------------------------------------

2. Upgrade from suse 7.0 to 7.1

3. Linux/X on AST Ascentia 950N Dual Scan

4. Unix

5. AST Ascentia 950N - Linux?

6. external control for sound player

7. Will Linux run on an AST Ascentia 950N?

8. GLX not loading

9. Errors from AST Ascentia 950n floppy drive

10. AST Ascentia 950n

11. XF86Config for AST Ascentia 950n DSSTN?

12. AST Ascentia 950N Laptop & PCMCIA Modem

13. Problem with APM on Ascentia 950N