Getting rid of lilo - any more suggestions?

Getting rid of lilo - any more suggestions?

Post by Richard M. Denne » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:18:22

I have been mucking around with my RH 7.1 system (probably too much). I
have Windows NT4 in partition hdc1 and a RH installation on hde5 (root)
to hde9. Normally I run NT in vmware under linux. To boot the system, I
have generally used the NT boot loader (which installed itself with NT
way back when), and added a selection for linux which brought up lilo
installed at hde5. This setup permitted me also to boot directly into
NT4 from a startup (from the NT boot loader).

Now I have a problem. During attempts to upgrade to RH 7.2, I have lost
the NT boot loader.  Whenever attempt to start up NT (either from a cold
boot or under vmware under linux), the familiar "LI" characters appear
on a blank screen, and the system goes nowhere. I have played around
trying to uninstall lilo (lilo -U) using a lilo.conf directed to hde5 or
hda1, and nothing I do seems to prevent the hangup on "LI". After
uninstalling lilo from hda1 with lilo -v -U (lilo.conf leadoff line,
boot=/dev/hda1), I get the message:

LILO version 21.4-4, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
'lba32' extensions Copyright (C) 1999,2000 John Coffman

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda1
Fatal: Boot sector of /dev/hda1 doesn't have a LILO signature

Therefore, lilo apparently isn't on hda1. Nevertheless, the troublesome
"LI" hang still occurs when I attempt to boot from hda1.
I have even tried freshly installing NT to that partition with or
without formatting it first. The installation goes fine until the
install program asks for a reboot, and you guessed it: "LI".

I even reformatted disk c: (hda1) using a win98 rescue disk using format
/S. This procedure appeared to work, but upon attempted reboot from C:
(cold boot), "LI" appears again.

HOW DO I GET RID OF LILO (to install it again, correctly of course)?

Rick Denney

Getting rid of lilo - any more suggestions?

Post by Chief » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:59:49

31 Oct 2001 18:18 UTC, Richard M. Denney typed:
[snip]

Quote:> on a blank screen, and the system goes nowhere. I have played around
> trying to uninstall lilo (lilo -U) using a lilo.conf directed to hde5 or
> hda1, and nothing I do seems to prevent the hangup on "LI". After
> uninstalling lilo from hda1 with lilo -v -U (lilo.conf leadoff line,
> boot=/dev/hda1), I get the message:

Try 'lilo -U /dev/hda1'  failing that 'lilo -U /dev/hda'

I seem to remember DOS fdisk cleaning things up too, 'fdisk /MBR'
Maybe your Win rescue disk has an fdisk that you can try.

Regards.
--
Speed.

Post by Richard M. Denne » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 07:02:35

> I have been mucking around with my RH 7.1 system (probably too much). I
> have Windows NT4 in partition hdc1 and a RH installation on hde5 (root)
> to hde9. Normally I run NT in vmware under linux. To boot the system, I
> have generally used the NT boot loader (which installed itself with NT
> way back when), and added a selection for linux which brought up lilo
> installed at hde5. This setup permitted me also to boot directly into
> NT4 from a startup (from the NT boot loader).

> Now I have a problem. During attempts to upgrade to RH 7.2, I have lost
> the NT boot loader.  Whenever attempt to start up NT (either from a cold
> boot or under vmware under linux), the familiar "LI" characters appear
> on a blank screen, and the system goes nowhere. I have played around
> trying to uninstall lilo (lilo -U) using a lilo.conf directed to hde5 or
> hda1, and nothing I do seems to prevent the hangup on "LI". After
> uninstalling lilo from hda1 with lilo -v -U (lilo.conf leadoff line,
> boot=/dev/hda1), I get the message:

> LILO version 21.4-4, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
> 'lba32' extensions Copyright (C) 1999,2000 John Coffman

> Reading boot sector from /dev/hda1
> Fatal: Boot sector of /dev/hda1 doesn't have a LILO signature

> Therefore, lilo apparently isn't on hda1. Nevertheless, the troublesome
> "LI" hang still occurs when I attempt to boot from hda1.
> I have even tried freshly installing NT to that partition with or
> without formatting it first. The installation goes fine until the
> install program asks for a reboot, and you guessed it: "LI".

> I even reformatted disk c: (hda1) using a win98 rescue disk using format
> /S. This procedure appeared to work, but upon attempted reboot from C:
> (cold boot), "LI" appears again.

> HOW DO I GET RID OF LILO (to install it again, correctly of course)?

> Rick Denney

Thanks! fdisk /mbr worked. I will write this trick down for the future...