Domain Name - Can I have two on one Linux Box?

Domain Name - Can I have two on one Linux Box?

Post by Tam Rodrigue » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

My company is changing it's name and I need to be able to have two
domain names on the box for at least a year.

Does anyone know if I can do this with Slackware?  If so, can you tell
me what I need to do to update my box to handle this?  (I already have
the new domain name and my provider is ready to flip the switch for
me...)

I use http://www.ddns.org   .

Post by Arthur Corli » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>I use http://www.ddns.org   .

>> My company is changing it's name and I need to be able to have two
>> domain names on the box for at least a year.

>> Does anyone know if I can do this with Slackware?  If so, can you tell
>> me what I need to do to update my box to handle this?  (I already have
>> the new domain name and my provider is ready to flip the switch for
>> me...)

www.ddns.org does nothing for this gentleman.  If I were you, I'd maintain
the old address as a virtual domain on the box, but with one page that
explains the change, and directs them to the new site.

        --Arthur Corliss
          Corliss Consultancy
          Anchorage, Alaska

Post by John Winte » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>My company is changing it's name and I need to be able to have two
>domain names on the box for at least a year.

>Does anyone know if I can do this with Slackware?  If so, can you tell
>me what I need to do to update my box to handle this?  (I already have
>the new domain name and my provider is ready to flip the switch for
>me...)

There's very little (if anything) you need to do, although you will
have to select one or the other name for the machine to present itself
to the outside world as - you can't have e-mail (or news) apparently
coming from mybox.domain1.com *and* from mybox.domain2.com.

Are you running your own DNS server?  If not just about the only
thing you need to do is put an entry in sendmail.cw for the "other"
name so that your machine will accept mail addressed to either.

The crucial thing is that the domain names aren't "on" your box.
There's a single name by which your machine identifies itself in

DNS which is like the telephone directory - there's nothing stopping
you having as many entries as you like in it, just as you can have
multiple entries for the same phone number in the directory.

HTH
John
(Cc:ed to poster)
--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - a source for Linux CDs in the UK
See <http://www.polo.demon.co.uk/emporium.html>

1. Tough one: two accts & domains, one box

Hi!  Thanks for reading this.  I have a tough one here and need any and
all help I can get.  I am setting up a server for an ISP and am
required to support two (or more) domains on the same box, and allow
the same login name to be used in each domain without conflict.  Can
this be done?  Would anyone out there be kind enough to point me to a
document about it, or offer some suggestions?

I am running Redhat Linux 5.2.  I have the web server and IP aliasing
working for the two domains, but need some guidance on how to map the
passwd file.

Thanks,

Dave Peterson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Real Time Linux Workshop, Valencia, Call For Papers

3. One linux box, multiple domain names ?

4. Can't chmod on /dos file system

5. One Linux Box two Web domains?

6. Need help setting up X

7. How to connect two Linux boxes via Com ports having two wires only

8. Apache http.conf problem?

9. Direct one domain to a second Linux box running Tomcat

10. Two domains, one box?

11. Howto configure two domain names on one machine ?

12. how to put TWO valid domain names on ONE host?

13. Multiple Domain Names - One Box