RH 5.0 install freaks out drive partition table...now can't fdisk the drive!

RH 5.0 install freaks out drive partition table...now can't fdisk the drive!

Post by Zephyr » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

        Finally installing RH 5 in my journey to move into other OS's
besides OS/2 (getting off the train before it stops
rolling...)...but I've run into a problem.

        Initially, I tried to install RH on my #2 drive (hdb).  It
worked fine, but crashed in the middle of the install.  Now, I
can access the partitions on the disk, but whenever I fdisk the
drive (via OS/2 or DOS), it crashes fdisk (now THAT is something
I wasn't looking for...) and Partition Magic can't touch the disk
(says it's full, get a 'logical chains' partition error (#120)).

        I tried to re-install RH...crashed again--this time with the
following message:

                RPM of XFree86 failed.  Unpacking failed on file:
                                                        /usr/x11r6/man/man1/xrdb.1x:-1:
                no such file or directory.

        I've tried the rescue option off the install diskettes, but I'm
not well versed yet in *nix-ese and couldn't get fdisk to run so
I'm lost there.

        Any help is appreciated.  Vitals are:

        486DX120 (SP3 motherboard)
        2 HDisks--1 gig each, partitioned in the following:

        Disk 1

                Boot Manager
                C:  Win 95 (hidden)
                C:  DOS/win boot
                E:  OS/2 (under hpfs)
                F: and G: -- both hpfs

        Disk 2

                D:  FAT16
                --a 500 meg partition where I was going to put Linux
                --another hpfs
                --unused partition where the swap file was going to go
                --another FAT16 partition

        Thanx for any help in advance!

*  Servant of El Elohim                *
*    OS/2 User, (hope to add linux)   *
*     Player of VGAP and SFB           *
*   A gentle easterly breeze           *
*         awaiting an omniscient       *
*             Sonrise...Zephyr Q       *

RH 5.0 install freaks out drive partition table...now can't fdisk the drive!

Post by Ted Stabero » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi Zeph,

    It is possible that your BIOS is not reporting your disk geometry correctly.  Try
reinstalling Red Hat and when you are asked to choose between fdisk and Disk Druid, take
fdisk.  Make your partitions then use the 'v' option (verify).  If verify reports that
partitions are overlapping you need to change your BIOS settings to translate for 'Large
DOS disk' or something similar  (LBA mode on).  If your partitions don't  seem to be
problematic you may have a bad disk

Ted Staberow
Prairie Networking, Inc.

Post by John Summerfie » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>    Finally installing RH 5 in my journey to move into other OS's
> besides OS/2 (getting off the train before it stops
> rolling...)...but I've run into a problem.

>    Initially, I tried to install RH on my #2 drive (hdb).  It
> worked fine, but crashed in the middle of the install.  Now, I
> can access the partitions on the disk, but whenever I fdisk the
> drive (via OS/2 or DOS), it crashes fdisk (now THAT is something
> I wasn't looking for...) and Partition Magic can't touch the disk
> (says it's full, get a 'logical chains' partition error (#120)).

>    I tried to re-install RH...crashed again--this time with the
> following message:

>            RPM of XFree86 failed.  Unpacking failed on file:
>                                                    /usr/x11r6/man/man1/xrdb.1x:-1:
>            no such file or directory.

>    I've tried the rescue option off the install diskettes, but I'm
> not well versed yet in *nix-ese and couldn't get fdisk to run so
> I'm lost there.

>    Any help is appreciated.  Vitals are:

I had a lot of problems installing RH5 on my P133 system including
messages like yours. However, the errors were'nt readily reproducible:
they occurred at different points.

Finally, I settle for installing as little as I thought I could
get away with and got an install that worked.

I then installed other things manually: rpm -i <packagename> works
very nicely.

OTOH upgrading my 4.2 system to 5.0 ws as easy as I'd hope,

I suggest you quit 5.0 and get 5.1 which has gnome. I gather
from the info at http://www.gnome.org that work is underway
to make the Linux (Unix?) desktop more functionally equivalent to OS/2's
WPS.

Those who've not used OS/2 had better believe that's a Good Thing.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Post by Jim Buchan » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

:       Finally installing RH 5 in my journey to move into other OS's
[...]
:       Initially, I tried to install RH on my #2 drive (hdb).  It
: worked fine, but crashed in the middle of the install.  Now, I
: can access the partitions on the disk, but whenever I fdisk the
: drive (via OS/2 or DOS), it crashes fdisk (now THAT is something
: I wasn't looking for...) and Partition Magic can't touch the disk
: (says it's full, get a 'logical chains' partition error (#120)).

I've never had any trouble with RH 5.0, but I have had disks in states
where fdisk would not work. Most disk drive manufacturers have
programs on their web sites that do low-level repairs to their drives.

They're a bit scary to use, what with all the disclaimers they have,
but they can sometimes do wonders.

Good luck!

--

================= http://members.iquest.net/~jbuchana ====================
"A women came up to me and said, I'd like to poison your mind

RH 5.0 install freaks out drive partition table...now can't fdisk the drive!

Post by Zephyr » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Summerfield) eloquently opined:

-> >
-> >      Initially, I tried to install RH on my #2 drive (hdb).  It
-> > worked fine, but crashed in the middle of the install.  Now, I
-> > can access the partitions on the disk, but whenever I fdisk the
-> > drive (via OS/2 or DOS), it crashes fdisk (now THAT is something
-> > I wasn't looking for...) and Partition Magic can't touch the disk
-> > (says it's full, get a 'logical chains' partition error (#120)).
-> >
->
-> I had a lot of problems installing RH5 on my P133 system including
-> messages like yours. However, the errors were'nt readily reproducible:
-> they occurred at different points.
->
-> Finally, I settle for installing as little as I thought I could
-> get away with and got an install that worked.

        Essentially, that is what I ended up doing (actually, I made the
partition HUGE using linux's fdisk (fresh install)--which allowed
me a full install, but couldn't get LILO on there (I'm going to
assume that is because the partition is 600M--past the 500 mark
which, if I understand correctly, prevents LILO from working...).

        So, now, I need to know which directories I can place where (and
with how much room) so I can partition (*again*) 2 logical drives
to see if I can get LILO to work.

        (Note:  I created a 8 meg partition at the beginning of <hdb> to
boot LILO, but couldn't figure out how to get it there
(newbie-itis...).  Any help would be appreciated...

        BTW, thanx to all who responded...I wondered if the linux
community was as helpful as the OS/2 community...

->
-> I then installed other things manually: rpm -i <packagename> works
-> very nicely.
->
-> OTOH upgrading my 4.2 system to 5.0 ws as easy as I'd hope,
->
-> I suggest you quit 5.0 and get 5.1 which has gnome. I gather
-> from the info at http://www.gnome.org that work is underway
-> to make the Linux (Unix?) desktop more functionally equivalent to OS/2's
-> WPS.
->
-> Those who've not used OS/2 had better believe that's a Good Thing.
->
->
-> --
-> Cheers
-> John Summerfield
-> http://os2.ami.com.au/os2/ for OS/2 support.
-> Configuration, networking, combined IBM ftpsites index.

*  Servant of El Elohim                *
*    OS/2 User,                        *
*     Player of VGAP and SFB           *
*   A gentle easterly breeze           *
*         awaiting an omniscient       *
*             Sonrise...Zephyr Q       *

RH 5.0 install freaks out drive partition table...now can't fdisk the drive!

Post by Glenn P » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I just ran into the same thing on my system two weeks ago. I too am new
to Linux and had an installation of Redhat 5.0 which I managed to*
up after forcing an installation of an RPM that was damaged in some way.
After spending quite a bit of time trying to straighten out the many
library files that were affected and numerous links, I decided to start
over. In the attempt to do this I also decided that I wanted to change
the sizes of some of the Linux ext2 partitions in the process. After I
finished I had a partition (usr/bin) that would only report half the
size and was not used by the installation, i.e., nothing was written to
it during the Redhat installation. Note that I also reformatted
everything during the install. I tried this a couple of times using to
no avail. I then decided that I would reformat the whole drive and
repartition with Partition Magic. I got the same error as you. I then
tried re-fdisk in Linux and I got a "bad super block" error. I then
tried MSDOS fdisk and when it started it just caused my hard drive to
thrash and I only had a blinking cursor on an otherwise black screen!

My solution was to use a disk installation program that came with my
recently purchase Maxtor hard drive. It was really a last resort since I
had no idea if it would even recognize my old drive where Linux is/was
installed. It worked like a charm, asking me which drive I wanted to
work on and how I wanted to partition it--YES! I ended up with one
primary for windows (cache, swap and a mount point for swapping to and
from Windows on the other drive) and an one extended for Linux (I put
everything under / this time) and my Linux swap. Everything has been
working well ever since. You might also try removing and reinstalling
your problem drive through the BIOS setup if you can't get ahold of
something similar. It seems like this could work too.

Good luck,
Glenn

>         Finally installing RH 5 in my journey to move into other OS's
> besides OS/2 (getting off the train before it stops
> rolling...)...but I've run into a problem.

>         Initially, I tried to install RH on my #2 drive (hdb).  It
> worked fine, but crashed in the middle of the install.  Now, I
> can access the partitions on the disk, but whenever I fdisk the
> drive (via OS/2 or DOS), it crashes fdisk (now THAT is something
> I wasn't looking for...) and Partition Magic can't touch the disk
> (says it's full, get a 'logical chains' partition error (#120)).

>         I tried to re-install RH...crashed again--this time with the
> following message:

>                 RPM of XFree86 failed.  Unpacking failed on file:
>                                                         /usr/x11r6/man/man1/xrdb.1x:-1:
>                 no such file or directory.

>         I've tried the rescue option off the install diskettes, but I'm
> not well versed yet in *nix-ese and couldn't get fdisk to run so
> I'm lost there.

>         Any help is appreciated.  Vitals are:

>         486DX120 (SP3 motherboard)
>         2 HDisks--1 gig each, partitioned in the following:

>         Disk 1

>                 Boot Manager
>                 C:  Win 95 (hidden)
>                 C:  DOS/win boot
>                 E:  OS/2 (under hpfs)
>                 F: and G: -- both hpfs

>         Disk 2

>                 D:  FAT16
>                 --a 500 meg partition where I was going to put Linux
>                 --another hpfs
>                 --unused partition where the swap file was going to go
>                 --another FAT16 partition

>         Thanx for any help in advance!

> *  Servant of El Elohim                *
> *    OS/2 User, (hope to add linux)   *
> *     Player of VGAP and SFB           *
> *   A gentle easterly breeze           *
> *         awaiting an omniscient       *
> *             Sonrise...Zephyr Q       *

1. fdisk - partition table doesn't show all the drives

My "C" drive crashed and was replaced and the whole system works fine.  But in Linux, when I enter fdisk, it prints a message saying sda is default drive, and only the partitions on sda are displayed in the partition table.
Linux itself runs on sdb8, and /usr/var/log/dmesg shows sda, sdb, and sdc as being there.
I want to move linux to a bigger partition on sdc, but I can't get there from here.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. NetBSD with PCI bus?

3. fdisk, 6Gb drive, unkown partition table

4. Priority Paging

5. new filesystem problems: "fdisk: can't write fdisk partition table: Invalid argument"

6. Thinkpad 385ED

7. Partition check at boot time & fdisk partition table don't agree

8. ISDN to connect two ( 2 ) LANs LAN ( s )

9. Partition table by fdisk can't be recognized by Partition Magic

10. RH 6.1 deleted the partition table on my second drive!

11. Can't FDISK my drive and can't install!!

12. Problems with number of heads from DOS FDISK partitions and Linux fdisk on 8.4 GB drive

13. Partitioning Hard Drive for Win95 and RH 5.0 To Coexist