ppp (2.2.0f) with kernel 2.0.11/13: OK not received.

ppp (2.2.0f) with kernel 2.0.11/13: OK not received.

Post by ter » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I just upgraded a Caldera/Redhat system with the RiskyHack packages.
I took the same ppp options file that has been working great for quite
a while on a Slackware/1.2.13 system with pppd 2.1.2.  After the usual
kernel configuration problems, ppp is now in.  One strange problem is
that if pppd is started as non-root it exits right away with an error,
while if started as root I see the problem I'll get to in a minute, but
before I get 200 replies saying "Permissions! make it SUID!" I have to
point out that pppd is SUID root.  The serial port devices (/dev/cua1
and /dev/ttyS1) are rw by everybody and still pppd can't receive
anything from the modem.  BTW, the serial port has been tested with kermit
and works fine.  Doing a tail -f /var/log/messages in another window
this is what I see:

o ppp starts normally
o chat sends the first AT to the modem
o OK doesn't come back
o a timeout period occurs
o an alarm is generated
o chat sends another AT to the modem
o OK doesn't come back again
o a timeout period occurs
o an alarm is generated
o pppd exits

Has anybody seen this problem?  The modem is a Zyxel 2864 which I've been
using with kermit and works just fine otherwise.  It seems that pppd does
not set it to not echo since running kermit after pppd exits finds it in
a perfectly normal state, or does it?  Given that the options file works
fine on other system, I'm inclined to think that the problem is internal.
Any ideas?  (The same problem occurred under kernels 2.0.11 and 2.0.13)

Thanks.

Augustine Cano

Post by Dr. Ho J » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote: writes:

:>o ppp starts normally
:>o chat sends the first AT to the modem
:>o OK doesn't come back
:>o a timeout period occurs
:>o an alarm is generated
:>o chat sends another AT to the modem
:>o OK doesn't come back again
:>o a timeout period occurs
:>o an alarm is generated
:>o pppd exits
:>

I have the exact same problem, using kernel 2.0.13, with the ppp 2.0.0f
package.  I can't communicate with the modem using chat/pppd, despite having
absolutely no problems manually dialing in to my Internet service provider
using minicom or kermit.  Once the connection is establised via minicom or
kermit, I call up pppd manually, and my ppp connection works perfectly.
Unfortunately, I have no solution to this problem except to use minicom or
kermit, every time I want to use ppp.  There must be something wrong with
chat.?

Dr. Ho Jen
Dept. of Diagnostic Imaging
University of Alberta Hospital

ppp (2.2.0f) with kernel 2.0.11/13: OK not received.

Post by Dr. Ho J » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote: writes:

:>
:>Hi,
:>
:>I just upgraded a Caldera/Redhat system with the RiskyHack packages.
:>I took the same ppp options file that has been working great for quite
:>o ppp starts normally
:>o chat sends the first AT to the modem
:>o OK doesn't come back
:>o a timeout period occurs
:>o an alarm is generated
:>o chat sends another AT to the modem
:>o OK doesn't come back again
:>o a timeout period occurs
:>o an alarm is generated
:>o pppd exits
:>

I forgot to mention in my message that I am using a USR sportster 14.4.  So
I'm sure that the problem is not specific to a particular modem.

Dr. Ho Jen
Dept. of Diagnostic Imaging
University of Alberta Ho
spital