Redhat 5.2 install problems on Dell Optiplex

Redhat 5.2 install problems on Dell Optiplex

Post by kmmc » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi. Hoping someone could help me out with this.

 I have a Dell Optiplex GX1, p2-350, 128mb RAM, 6.5 GB HD. Four GB of
drive are NTFS for NT and 2GB will go to the Linux install. I begin the
install process by setting BIOS to boot to 5.1 CD.

 I get to the formatting section of the install and use DDruid to set the
following:

 250MB - /
800MB - /usr
400MB - /home
300MB - /var
100MB - SWAP

 The install proceeds and I select the proper packages, but it fails
during install giving me the message that the destination disk is full. I
can begin again and do a very base install but a df shows that there are
only 300MB given to /usr even though I told it to give 800MB.
Unsurprisingly, usr is full and I can't do anything else.

 any ideas?

Post by Codifex Maximu » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Hi. Hoping someone could help me out with this.

>  I have a Dell Optiplex GX1, p2-350, 128mb RAM, 6.5 GB HD. Four GB of
> drive are NTFS for NT and 2GB will go to the Linux install. I begin the
> install process by setting BIOS to boot to 5.1 CD.

>  I get to the formatting section of the install and use DDruid to set the
> following:

>  250MB - /
> 800MB - /usr
> 400MB - /home
> 300MB - /var
> 100MB - SWAP

>  The install proceeds and I select the proper packages, but it fails
> during install giving me the message that the destination disk is full. I
> can begin again and do a very base install but a df shows that there are
> only 300MB given to /usr even though I told it to give 800MB.
> Unsurprisingly, usr is full and I can't do anything else.

>  any ideas?

I don't know about Disk Druid in RH5.1.  I do know that fdisk works good
though.  The problem may be in where you tell the install program about
mount points.  Do you actually tell the install program that the 250MB
partition was to be /, the 800MB partition was to be /usr, the 400MB
partition was to be /home etc and so on?  If you don't tell the
installer that these partitions exist and assign them mount points, the
installer can only make a guess using the first linux native partition
it comes to and make /usr, /home and /var directories on that first
250MB partition.

You must define the partitions, have the installer check for errors on
disk and format, and you must assign the partitions their mount points
PRIOR to installing packages.

I hope this has been a help.  If there are any additional questions...
feel free to eMail me.
--
Codifex Maximus~
It may hurt my pride to be wrong once in a while, but I'd rather be

Post by N. McNeil » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Hi. Hoping someone could help me out with this.

>  I have a Dell Optiplex GX1, p2-350, 128mb RAM, 6.5 GB HD. Four GB of
> drive are NTFS for NT and 2GB will go to the Linux install. I begin the
> install process by setting BIOS to boot to 5.1 CD.

>  I get to the formatting section of the install and use DDruid to set the
> following:

>  250MB - /
> 800MB - /usr
> 400MB - /home
> 300MB - /var
> 100MB - SWAP

>  The install proceeds and I select the proper packages, but it fails
> during install giving me the message that the destination disk is full. I
> can begin again and do a very base install but a df shows that there are
> only 300MB given to /usr even though I told it to give 800MB.
> Unsurprisingly, usr is full and I can't do anything else.

>  any ideas?

try

 250MB - /
1100MB - /usr
400MB - /home
100MB - SWAP

or

 250MB - /
800MB - /usr
400MB - /home
300MB - /opt     for kde if you want
100MB - SWAP

there is no need to do a /var, it will fall up under /usr

--
N. McNeill

LinuXsite
http://www.ipass.net/~njm/

1. FYI - my experiece of installing Redhat 6.2 on a Dell Optiplex GXMT 5200

To save anyone else a bit of pain on getting Redhat 6.x running on a
dell Optiplex GXMT 5200 heres how I got it running.
I don't cliam this is the best way do do things by any means but I'm a
hacker and worked for me!

After installation Redhat 6.2 (running the GNOME GUI) the following
things won't work without some manual configuration

     Network
     Video card wont work at any sensible resolution
     Sound Card

To get the Ethernet/Network working do the following:-
Linux fails to automatically detect the onboard 3Com 3c509 NIC
Ethernet card for some unknown reason.
Go to file rc.local in directory /etc/rc.d/ and add the following
lines to the end of this file;-

"insmod /lib/modules/(some-version-numbers)/net/3c509.o"
"ifup eth0"

This selects and installs the correct driver module for the card and
starts it at boot time. Its not the perfect solution but it works
fine.
To configure the Network IP addresses etc I then ran the LinuxConf
utility.

To get the video card working properly do the following:-
This machine has a S3 Trio Video card 2 MB RAM. When Linux is first
installed the card is recognised  enough to give a  badly scaled 640 x
480 resolution.
I could not fix it by using the usual CTL&ALT with the +/- keys or
using the XF86Config utility. (also tried a little unsuccessful manual
hacking of the /etc/X11/XF86Config file)

The yuk solution to this I found was to install XF86Setup utility from
the Linux CDROM-
do this by typing
"mount /mnt/cdrom"
then "cd /mnt/cdrom/Redhat/RPMS"
then "rpm ivh Xfree86-XF86Setup(hitting tab should fill in the rest
of the name)"

Doing the above seemed to sort my problem as I was then able to run
XF86Config and set some parameters and it seemed to work ok this time
and allowed me to set a decent screen resolution.

To get the Sound Card working do the following:-
Bring up an x-term command prompt and type "setup"
Select configure sound card.
The setup program will NOT autodetect the card.
Manually select "Sound Blaster 16 Bit"
Configure the following options on the screen:-
IO PORT = 0X220
IRQ = 5
DMA1 = 1
DMA2 = 5
MPU IO = 0X330

Hope this helps,
LM

2. newbie can't install

3. FTP install RedHat 5.2 on Dell GXa

4. Is a service contract worth the money?

5. RedHat Linux 5.2 Troubling Installing on Dell 466/T

6. Going crazy trying to network Linux with HP Pavillion 8570C

7. Redhat 8.0 X Problem on Dell Optiplex GX110

9. Problem with DHCP and 3C905B NIC on a Dell Optiplex GX1 with Redhat 6.1

10. Redhat 5.2 Installation Problems on Dell Precision 610

11. Help! AHA-2940 and Dell Optiplex install problem

12. Dell Optiplex GX110 Install Problems