RH 5.2 kernel upgrade "Kernel Panic: no init found"

RH 5.2 kernel upgrade "Kernel Panic: no init found"

Post by Donald Lochie » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am upgrading my Redhat tp Kernel 2.2.13, I followed all the
directions from http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/howto//kernel-
2.2/kernel2.2-upgrade.html#toc5 and all works just fine until reboot
time.

When it boots the new kernel it gets to mounting all the devices, then
mounting the root filesystem read only, then the message:

Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

I read through all sorts of other posting about this message, but no
suggestion of init=/bin/sh or init=5 helps.

Thanks
Don

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Camelia Nastas » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I am upgrading my Redhat tp Kernel 2.2.13, I followed all the
> directions from http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/howto//kernel-
> 2.2/kernel2.2-upgrade.html#toc5 and all works just fine until reboot
> time.

> When it boots the new kernel it gets to mounting all the devices, then
> mounting the root filesystem read only, then the message:

> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

> I read through all sorts of other posting about this message, but no
> suggestion of init=/bin/sh or init=5 helps.

look in your /etc/inittab. are all lines that say something about
runlevel commented out?
did you upgrade your initscripts? did you read the CHANGES file after
unpacking the kernel?

Camelia N.

--
Camelia Nastase

RH 5.2 kernel upgrade "Kernel Panic: no init found"

Post by egome.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I had the same problem you did! My system would also hang with the same
error message while trying to mount the drive.  As it turns out, I was
trying to mount my 10 meg boot partition as my root partition instead of my
actual ROOT partition.  OOPS!

I booted off of floppy, issued the mount /dev/hda3 (in my case)   got the
system up....edited /etc/lilo.conf........changed the appropriate boot
partition.....re-ran  lilo.......and..! WALLA !  it worked like a champ.

LMK if it helps.

Quote:>When it boots the new kernel it gets to mounting all the devices, then
>mounting the root filesystem read only, then the message:

>Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

1. Upgrade to 2.4.16 produces "Kernel panic: No init found"

Hello kernel gurus,

I have searched the list archives and google'd myself silly, but I
can't seem to find a solution to my problem.

I am trying to update my 2.4.3 kernel (Mandrake 8.0 distro) to 2.4.16.
I did a 'make oldconfig' with my old .config file and added ext3 kernel
support in addition to ext2.  My root fs is ext2 (as are all my fs).
The new kernel boots but panics when it tries to mount the root fs.
Here is the error:
Mounting /proc filesystem
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 216k freed
Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

There are no other errors displayed.  I upgraded a number of packages,
but I might have missed something.  My current versions are:

gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-98)
GNU ld version 2.11.90.0.8 (with BFD 2.11.90.0.8)
glibc 2.2.4-13
insmod version 2.4.6
mkinitrd 3.2.6-1

My system is a dual PII (300 mhz) with 512mb and AIC-7880 scsi.
Kernel options SMP and 686 have been selected.

Does the 2.4.16 kernel require an ext3 root fs if ext3 support is
compiled in?  I don't want to risk upgrading my root fs to ext3
because then my old kernel will not boot.

Any ideas?

--
Bob Poortinga
Technology Service Corp.

2. SOHOware and IP Masq

3. command not found after RH 7.2 kernel upgrade via "Upgrade Agent"

4. desktop kdelinks locked?

5. won't boot..get "kernel panic: no init found.."

6. How can I improve display fonts?

7. Problem: "Kernel panic: no init found"

8. Install LINUX on IBM Aptiua E5U/E6U

9. syslinux and "kernel panic no init found .." at boot

10. zipslack/umsdos error "Kernel Panic: No init found"

11. HELP!!! "Kernel Panic: No init Found"

12. compiling ANY new kernel gives "Kernel Panic"...HELP!

13. kernel panic "killing interrupt handler" and kernel BUG at sched.c:468