Media Vision + Sanyo H94A 2x CDROM

Post by Eduardo D'Azeve » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have a Media Vision MV2100 multimedia upgrade kit that
came with a Deluxe MCD sound card (has jazz16 printed on
one of the chips) and a sanyo H94A 2X cdrom drive. The dos
and windows3.1 installation notes suggest the use of
the panasoic interface.

I am currently running linux 1.2.8 and the sbpcd.c
panasonic interface states it is not suitable for the sanyo.

Has anyone successfully recompiled their kernels for
the MVD sound card with sanyo H94A* off it?

The linux CDROM howto mentions an experimental sjcd
driver (kernel patch). Where can I can a copy of this?

Thank you very much.

-- Ed D'Azevedo

Post by Bradley Ow » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: I have a Media Vision MV2100 multimedia upgrade kit that
: came with a Deluxe MCD sound card (has jazz16 printed on
: one of the chips) and a sanyo H94A 2X cdrom drive. The dos
: and windows3.1 installation notes suggest the use of
: the panasoic interface.

: I am currently running linux 1.2.8 and the sbpcd.c
: panasonic interface states it is not suitable for the sanyo.

: Has anyone successfully recompiled their kernels for
: the MVD sound card with sanyo H94A* off it?

: The linux CDROM howto mentions an experimental sjcd
: driver (kernel patch). Where can I can a copy of this?

You need to get a newer kernel. I'm using 1.3.42 and it runs my Sanyo just
fine. When you are configuring the kernel just look for the Sanyo cdrom.

Media Vision + Sanyo H94A 2x CDROM

Post by Ashley Gilli » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:} I have a Media Vision MV2100 multimedia upgrade kit that
} came with a Deluxe MCD sound card (has jazz16 printed on
} one of the chips) and a sanyo H94A 2X cdrom drive. The dos
} and windows3.1 installation notes suggest the use of
} the panasoic interface.

I have the same CD-ROM drive...and the Linux CD from the Using Linux
book.  I am unable to install to my system from the CD right now.  Does
anyone have a way I can do this (besides copying from the CD to the
HD--the only room is on the partition _for_ Linux)?

While I'm at it...does anyone have experience with the VLB EIDE & Fast
I/O Controller (S1346)?  I use this to get a 3rd hard
drive...unfortunately I cannot cold boot & get the drive to be seen by
the system--but if I "kick the drive" by loading its driver in DOS &
warmbooting, the drive is visible to DOS & OS/2.  Linux doesn't see it.
I have AMI BIOS (very recent version) & the Linux is version 1.1.59

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

Victoria Gilliam
Check out my HTML work at  http://www.aksi.net/unicorn
Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.

Post by Robert Lync » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>} I have a Media Vision MV2100 multimedia upgrade kit that
>} came with a Deluxe MCD sound card (has jazz16 printed on
>} one of the chips) and a sanyo H94A 2X cdrom drive. The dos
[snip]
>I have the same CD-ROM drive...and the Linux CD from the Using Linux
>book.  I am unable to install to my system from the CD right now.  Does

[snip]
The solution is to use one of Slackware 3.0's extra v. 1.3 kernels to
recognize your particular drive...  Also, I'm pretty sure a guy posted a
complete step by step procedure for this exact drive, in this forum
(comp.os.linux.setup) a few days ago... if you can't find his posting,
get in touch with me and I will give you his e-mail address.  Bob L.
Robert *    |"You mean you can't take LESS; it's very easy

1. Media Vision & Sanyo H94S 2x CDROM

OK, here's the deal.  I thought that the instructions for the Sanyo H94A
CD-ROM would work for me (the sjcd boot disk, etc.), but I discovered
that the reason my Media Vision kit's Sanyo CDROM is H94S is that it is a
SCSI.  Under DOS it uses a driver fdcd.sys (Future Domain driver), but
the scsi boot disk (both the one on my CDROM--from Using Linux, v 1.1.59,
Slackware v?--and the newest Slackware) do not find the CDROM
drive...which makes installing troublesome--to say the least.

I am planning to try the ascsi boot disk, but don't have high hopes for
it.  Does anyone have a way for me to get my Linux installed?  Or should
I just find another version of Linux?  (Don't suggest copying from the
CDROM to HD...there's no room except to install.)

Thank you for all your help.

Vycke'

Victoria Gilliam
Check out my HTML work at  http://www.aksi.net/unicorn
Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.

2. Scanner card

3. Media Vision + Sanyo H94A Cd-ROM

4. : gcc binary distribution for Solaris 2.5 x86...

5. Media Vision + Sanyo H94A CD-ROM

6. more info on port-number

7. Any one use Sanyo H94A CDROM Drive?

8. high performance motherboards for Unix?

9. RH5.0 install using Sanyo H94A CDROM

10. Help: Sanyo CDR-H94A CDROM !!!

11. Sanyo CDR-H94A CDROM support???

12. Sanyo H94a CDROM & MediaVision Prosonic 16 (Jazz)

13. Sanyo CDR-H94A CDROM with SB Pro