Disable shutdown by ctrl-alt-del, HOW?

Post by Morris M M L » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Dear Linux experts,

The computer laboratory has introduced PC running Linux (kernel 2.0.36).
Using hot-key, Ctrl-Alt-Del, Linux will start shutdown process and reboot
the machine.  How to disable this feature?  I don't want to see any of
the PC shutdown by users as other peoples are running background jobs.

I had push the init level to 5 (X Login) but I find that a quick
combination of ctrl-alt-backspace and ctrl-alt-del will also reboot the
machines.

Is there any help for recompiling the kernel to include APM?  Which
option do you find useful for it?

E-mail or posting reply are appreciated.

Thank you

--
Morris Law
Assistant Computer Officer    Address : 224 Waterloo Road, KLN, Hong Kong

Disable shutdown by ctrl-alt-del, HOW?

Post by Dick Repas » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Dear Linux experts,

>The computer laboratory has introduced PC running Linux (kernel 2.0.36).
>Using hot-key, Ctrl-Alt-Del, Linux will start shutdown process and reboot
>the machine.  How to disable this feature?  I don't want to see any of
>the PC shutdown by users as other peoples are running background jobs.

The feature is enabled int /etc/inittab.  Remove the entry with "ctrlaltdel"
in it and then either reboot or run "/sbin/init q".

--

Remove the underscore from my e-mail address to reply by mail.

Disable shutdown by ctrl-alt-del, HOW?

Post by Jim Thoma » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Dear Linux experts,

> Using hot-key, Ctrl-Alt-Del, Linux will start shutdown process and reboot
> the machine.  How to disable this feature?  I don't want to see any of
> the PC shutdown by users as other peoples are running background jobs.

Edit /etc/inittab again.  Look for the line that begins with "ca" and
ends with something like "shutdown".  This is where ctrl-alt-delete
behavior is specified.  You can either comment that line out or change
shutdown to something more gentle.

--
-jwt 8)

Opinions expressed here are Jim's and may not be those of his employer

Disable shutdown by ctrl-alt-del, HOW?

Post by emmanuel.all.. » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Dear Linux experts,

>The computer laboratory has introduced PC running Linux (kernel 2.0.36).
>Using hot-key, Ctrl-Alt-Del, Linux will start shutdown process and reboot
>the machine.  How to disable this feature?  I don't want to see any of
>the PC shutdown by users as other peoples are running background jobs.

>I had push the init level to 5 (X Login) but I find that a quick
>combination of ctrl-alt-backspace and ctrl-alt-del will also reboot the
>machines.

>Is there any help for recompiling the kernel to include APM?  Which
>option do you find useful for it?

>E-mail or posting reply are appreciated.

Hi,
you have to comment the line in the inittab file (in the /etc/) which
contains the crtl-alt-del definition.
I don't know if the 2.0.36 kernel supports APM. You can try looking
for APM configuratio when making make xconfig (or whatever you use
normally to configure the kernel compil').

Manu