HOWTO: XFree86 in combination with Toshiba TECRA 740CDT (ct65554)

HOWTO: XFree86 in combination with Toshiba TECRA 740CDT (ct65554)

Post by Erik Pijl » Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to install Linux on my Toshiba TECRA 740CDT Laptop, and
everything works fine up till now, except when I try to configure my
XFree86.

No matter what I do, when starting X, I get the message "unable to set
default font path", resulting in not being able to find font "fixed",
this resulting in not being able to start my X. I think I read through
all the existing news items elaborating on this subject, and all I found
were two messages telling me to ensure that there is a /dev/tty0 defined
(which is the case) and to be sure that I chose the right number of
colours (actually I tried all possibilities, ranging from 8 up to 32
bpp), but nothing seems to work.

I'm sure to have all my fonts installed in the right directories
(/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/*), so can't be the problem, I think. I
searched the whole Internet to find sample XF86Config's for my X
configuraion, and am quite sure that I got an OK working version,
although if anybody has a version which has already proving to be OK,
I'm very interested!

Can please anybody help me?!

Thanks in advance,

Erik Pijls