simple mail server questions

Post by Diese » Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:04:28

Whenever I log into my box it says I have new mail, but even if I check pine
it says I have no mail, if I check elm, it says I have 1 message that is
from Mail System Intern. that I should not delete, because it will be
recreated.  Anyway, that message is really annoying when It is not
right, where can I change it to check the Right directory to check for new
mail ?

Thanks

Diesel

simple mail server questions

Post by John To » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

        I think if the file /var/spool/mail/username exists,
"you have mail" will be reported.

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 05:04:28 GMT, Diesel

--
_____________________
The lap of Linuxury
|<de in RH6

simple mail server questions

Post by Bill Steine » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I began experiencing the same problem after clean installs of RedHat 7.0.
However, it only occurs on my box that has Sendmail installed. My other box
without sendmail doesn't give spurious "You have mail" messages. I checked
both boxes and confirmed that only the one with Sendmail has username files
in /var/spool/mail/. So, it sounds like John is onto something. However,
what's puzzeling me is that I don't recall getting spurious "You have mail"
messages a few weeks back when I was still running RedHat 6.2 with the same
version of Sendmail (8.11.0). With RedHat 6.2, I only got the "You have
mail" message when I really had mail in the spool. This leads me to wonder
whether it's caused  by a setting in my current Sendmail setup, or could it
be something else new in the Redhat 7.0 distribution.

I'm with you, Diesel. This is annoying.

Bill

> I think if the file /var/spool/mail/username exists,
> "you have mail" will be reported.

> On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 05:04:28 GMT, Diesel

> >Whenever I log into my box it says I have new mail, but even if I check
pine
> >it says I have no mail, if I check elm, it says I have 1 message that is
> >from Mail System Intern. that I should not delete, because it will be
> >recreated.  Anyway, that message is really annoying when It is not
> >right, where can I change it to check the Right directory to check for
new
> >mail ?

> >Thanks

> >Diesel

> --
> _____________________
> The lap of Linuxury
> |<de in RH6

1. simple mail server question

This is something that pine does. It creates a message (folder internal
data) that retains information the e-mails. You can disable this rather
annoying behaviour by editing your .pinerc configuration file and adding
quell-folder-internal-msg to the feature-list. e.g.

feature-list=enable-full-header-cmd,
        quell-folder-internal-msg

----------
http://www.pc-tools.net/
DOS, Win32, Linux software

2. MS vs. the gov't: A rock and a hard place?

3. mail question: selective removal from mail server?

4. xfmail prerelease compile error

5. simple (?) mail question

6. is it possible?

7. Simple Mail Admin question (I hope)...

8. Anybody able to read a QIC tape written by Sun on Linux (DAT too)

9. simple mailing question

10. Simple Mail question...

11. simple question on mail

12. Simple Mail Question

13. mail server, web server, nfs file system questions...