Install RH7.1 on disk2, NT4 on disk1, boot only from floppy on disk2 (linux)

Install RH7.1 on disk2, NT4 on disk1, boot only from floppy on disk2 (linux)

Post by Petros Dafniot » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 19:53:11

I would like to achieve the following:
1. I have two hard drives (EIDE): C and D
2. On C I have WinNT4SP6a
3. On D I want to put RH 7.1
4. I want my PC to boot automatically on NT (no lilo, nothing;
basically I do not want drive C to be "touched")
5. Iff I wish, then using a floppy I will boot onto D and Linux
6. Linux and NT will share nothing

Is this possible and how? I was thinking of disconnecting C: while
installing
on D: and then following FAQ to boot from floppy on hard disk.

Kind regards,
Petros
---
Petros Dafniotis, PhD

Install RH7.1 on disk2, NT4 on disk1, boot only from floppy on disk2 (linux)

Post by Karthikesh Raj » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:22:31

You dont have to do any thing like removing and disconnecting your c:

Just start the linux install process, during the partioning process,
choose manual partition and dont do anything with your C: (should be
called hda (i guess) ), and mount all your mountpoints etc to your d:.
When you have to install lilo, ask it to install it onto your /boot
partition (assuming you have created one), and not at the MBR, and
ofcourse make a boot floppy .......

Hope it helps,
-- karthik

Graduate Student,                   http://www.cis.hut.fi/karthik
Helsinki University of Technology,  Tel: +358-9-451 5389
Laboratory of Comp. & Info. Sc.,    Fax: +358-9-451 3277
Department of Computer Sc.,
P.O Box 5400, FIN 02015 HUT,
Espoo, FINLAND

1. thinkpad a30 boot on disk2 fails

Hi all,

I have a thinkpad a30 with the following specs:
P3/1G;128MEG RAM,CD-RW/DVD,2 internal harddrives.
The 2nd harddrive is off an ultrabay , so is the cd-rw.
I am installing linux on 2nd drive as follows:
1st drive : hda : 30gig
2nd drive: hdb :15gig.
/ partition size 1500megs.
I am trying to install to the second harddrive:hdb.
The install goes fine , bootloader apparently gets installed to /dev/hdb1.
I only have 2 partitions on the 2nd harddrive.: / and swap.
/ is bootable via fdisk.

However no matter I use lilo or grub ..the machine gets hung at lilo or
grub.
At installation everything gets recognized , the cd as well as the drive.
Have tried several times with no luck.

Thanks

Mike

2. Static & dynamic analysis

3. Boot chooser to go to disk2

4. Online now w/Debian, but no Lynx???

5. Bad boot disk (installation disk2)

6. 56k ppp connection and chat

7. use floppy when boot linux by boot floppy

8. PINE problems

9. RH7.0+Win2K:Linux boot floppy doesn't

10. Install Linux without erasing NT4 boot