Hang during boot at "Finding Module Dependencies"

Hang during boot at "Finding Module Dependencies"

Post by M Hogstro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I regenned my kernel and now whenever I boot the system it hangs with the
message "Finding Module Dependencies"

I can Ctrl-C out of it and it will boot up and run.  Any idea of how to
isolate the problem?

Hang during boot at "Finding Module Dependencies"

Post by Timothy Sulliv » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm having the same problem.  I'm currently using the updated 2.2.5-22
kernel from Redhat since 2.2.5-15 hung on my SCSI CD-RW.  After
getting everything running I decided to keep the 2.2.5-22 compiled
kernel around with modules for saftey.  I then went into the kernel
source and edited <version.h> from "-22" to "-23".  I also made the
necessary changes to the Makefile so the modules now are installed
under /lib/modules/modules-2.2.5-23 .

After compiling the kernel and modules and run modules_install I
placed the new kernel  under /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-23 and created a
corresponding inetd image file.  I also put  the new System.map file
into /boot/System.map-2.2.5-23 and made the necessary changes to lilo.

On rebooting the kernel starts up properly but the system hangs with
"Finding module dependencies".  Rebooting to the 2.2.5-22 kernel and
running "depmod -a 2.2.5-23" genereates a list of symbolic link
errors.

What am I doing wrong?  I've looked through /etc/rc.d and found the
"Finding modules dependencies" script code but could not find any
errors.  Has anyone tried this and solved the problem.

/Tim S

Hang during boot at "Finding Module Dependencies"

Post by Wizar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I too have this problem. I use kernel 2.2.12 (recompiled with as many
modules as possible) on Red Hat 6.0 (orig. kernel was 2.2.5-15). I inserted
the kerneld code in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, followed by the depmod -a command
and at start-up it says: "cannot open /lib/modules/2.2.12/modules.dep
though this file exists. Running depmod -a from the prompt results in a
long list of error messages.

Please help us.

"64k should be enough for anyone"
- Bill Gates, 1981
Wizard

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

1. Boot hangs at "Finding Module Dependencies" Help...

I recompiled my kernel over the weekend.  Everything went fine until I
tried to boot the kernel.  About halfway through the process the
message "Finding Module Dependencies" appears in the list and the boot
stops.

I then have to reboot using my old kernel.

The steps I followed:

make menuconfig
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make module
make module_install

I copied bzImage to /boot and pointed lilo to the new kernel.  I then
ran lilo and rebooted.

What have I done wrong?
Neil Watson
webhome.idirect.com/~neilw

2. Problem with patch 109170-11 (x86)?

3. Boot Hangs at "Finding Module Dependencies"

4. Shotgun (dual modem dialup)

5. RedHat6.0 boot hangs up in "Finding module dependencies"

6. Problem in SCCS

7. 2.2.5 hangs at "finding module dependencies"

8. FTP performance

9. Hang on "Finding Module Dependencies"

10. hang at "finding module dependencies"

11. custom kernel hangs at "configuring modules" during floppy bootup

12. Errors "Updating Module Dependencies" when booting Slackware 7.0